ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #14371
chip
Follow Me

Oddometer: 1,763
Back in town on Sunday night. Want to thank everyone who went back into the shit to pull the bikes out. True testament of character! Going into combat for the first time is easy, going back in knowing what's about to happen is not. Thank you all so much. I'll be planning a steak cookout at my place for all those who climbed up and down that God forsaken mountain in support of this effort or was part of the rescue. But as always, everyone is invited, just BYOS. Time is TBD, maybe the 28th if that works for everyone.

Thanks again guys. You are awesome!
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #14372
CaliforniaPants
asks many questions

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfeatherstone22 View Post
Went on a little ride today on the DRZ. Took Trimmer Springs to Saproot Saddle, filled up in Shaver and then took Old Railroad Grade to Jose Basin and back out to Fresno. Learned a few things. The stock 2 gallon tank is not enough for my sanity, the stock trailwings are like super slicks on dirt and slabbing it sucks.

Is there a gps source for all those tracks you guys ride? Any recommendations for a newbie? Seeing how much fun you guys had on Verplank has me gun shy exploring trails on my own
I was so happy to not drop my DRZ while out by myself for the first time a couple weeks ago, but the rear tire tried to make me a few times. (however I almost dropped it while getting on today so go figure). I kinda liked learning on the not too knobby tires though because it kept me in check, with good tires I would probably get overconfident and ruin myself. One of the first purchases Im going to make is going to be a bigger gas tank, too busy worrying about fuel to have fun sucked.
CaliforniaPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #14373
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPants View Post
I was so happy to not drop my DRZ while out by myself for the first time a couple weeks ago, but the rear tire tried to make me a few times. (however I almost dropped it while getting on today so go figure). I kinda liked learning on the not too knobby tires though because it kept me in check, with good tires I would probably get overconfident and ruin myself. One of the first purchases Im going to make is going to be a bigger gas tank, too busy worrying about fuel to have fun sucked.
I dunno, crashing over fuel range seems like a poor trade-off. Carry MSR bottles for now and get some rubber.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #14374
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
I dunno, crashing over fuel range seems like a poor trade-off. Carry MSR bottles for now and get some rubber.
I dunno, with the extra range, you can crash more. We're supposed to learn from our mistakes, so maybe this could be an opportunity to become a better rider faster?

MV
Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #14375
CaliforniaPants
asks many questions

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
I dunno, with the extra range, you can crash more. We're supposed to learn from our mistakes, so maybe this could be an opportunity to become a better rider faster?

MV
So THATS the secret, I knew they were keeping something from us at the motorcycle classes.
CaliforniaPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #14376
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPants View Post
So THATS the secret, I knew they were keeping something from us at the motorcycle classes.
lmao... the MSF motorcycle instructor I had was a complete ass. When I mentioned crashing he jumped my ass, but what do you expect he was a harley guy :p

Riding offroad is a different critter. Of course you dont want to get hurt, but if you aren't constantly searching for the limits how are you going to know what they are?

On asphault dont push it. Dont "try" to keep up. Just ride 50% of what you can and make motor noises in your helmet to imagine you are going faster.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #14377
sfeatherstone22
Young Grasshopper

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
lmao... the MSF motorcycle instructor I had was a complete ass. When I mentioned crashing he jumped my ass, but what do you expect he was a harley guy :p

Riding offroad is a different critter. Of course you dont want to get hurt, but if you aren't constantly searching for the limits how are you going to know what they are?

On asphault dont push it. Dont "try" to keep up. Just ride 50% of what you can and make motor noises in your helmet to imagine you are going faster.
Agreed, I've put 40,000 miles on the vstrom commuting everday the past two years and riding dirt and the Drz is a whole new beast. It's usually a not if but when sort of situation. I prefer the when's to be on dirt without cars around :-) Msr fuel cans seem to be the short term cheap solution for extra mileage? Also is there a good tire changing kit to strap to the front fender you guys would recommend? Are flats common? When's the next ride, I need some scuff marks
sfeatherstone22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:57 AM   #14378
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
I recommend the fender bag by Moose that has two compartments. What you put into it is a different can of worms. I would not preclude rubber lube, patches, glues, spoons, trailside jack, changing mat, pump and latex gloves. Some where you might want to carry a 21"standard duty tube. If you are really paranoid stuff a 18" in somewhere too. All that won't fit in a front fender bag though.
Are flats common? I've not had one with air in the 15+ psi range up front and 18 at rear with heavy duty tubes and DOT Dunlop D606 tires. Currently trying a D908 front. DOT tires are rumored to have stiffer sidewalls. I've not used non DOT tires so I can't say what the real difference. New DOT tires do have stiff sidewalls and my hands can attest to that as I've spooned on all my tires.
Getting a flat in the wild is going to test your tire dismounting and mounting skills so best you get to know them well. Use the tools in your tool pouch for this and in my case all bike related chores. That way you will know what you need. Friends on the trail are priceless.
http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #14379
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfeatherstone22 View Post
Agreed, I've put 40,000 miles on the vstrom commuting everday the past two years and riding dirt and the Drz is a whole new beast. It's usually a not if but when sort of situation. I prefer the when's to be on dirt without cars around :-) Msr fuel cans seem to be the short term cheap solution for extra mileage? Also is there a good tire changing kit to strap to the front fender you guys would recommend? Are flats common? When's the next ride, I need some scuff marks
TuBliss, http://nuetech.com/ is another option, though not recommended for a daily blacktop commuter. I've run them for the last two years without any issues, I carry plugs, patches, tire irons and a spare 21" tube. I can hide all of that in Mojave bags or backpack depending on configuration. Many knock the Tubliss setup because a dented rim will ruin their TuBliss day but that can be remedied with the spare tube.
I also like the MSR fender bag if you go that route.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #14380
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Sotsnf

I also recommend this http://www.sotsnf.org/
http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #14381
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
TuBliss, http://nuetech.com/ is another option, though not recommended for a daily blacktop commuter. I've run them for the last two years without any issues, I carry plugs, patches, tire irons and a spare 21" tube. I can hide all of that in Mojave bags or backpack depending on configuration. Many knock the Tubliss setup because a dented rim will ruin their TuBliss day but that can be remedied with the spare tube.
I also like the MSR fender bag if you go that route.
wait till u have to wrestle that snake out of there out on the trail and then finding a way to carry it
ive use them twice and got sidewall cuts both times
then u have no beadlock without the tubless
went beck to trust oll tubes

for sale,: 18" tublis insert used twice

I am in not associated with happy-trails.com
I am the original happytrails
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #14382
montibank
Happy

Quote:
for sale,: 18" tublis insert used twice
Was that in a full sized bike... I wonder if that'd go in my wife's trials bike and I can start running real trials tires on it for me ... erm I mean her.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #14383
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,775
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post24327929

Here's your fix Monti...
Old 06-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #14384
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
Was that in a full sized bike... I wonder if that'd go in my wife's trials bike and I can start running real trials tires on it for me ... erm I mean her.
wr250f

I am in not associated with happy-trails.com
I am the original happytrails
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #14385
montibank
Happy

Hummm...