ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #31
motodutch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
High altitude jetting

I found a wide band air fuel ratio meter by Innovate Motorsports that I have used on my Ducati and Moto Guzzi with excellent results although I haven't used it on the KTM yet I plan to soon. The problem is that I have to pull off the exhaust pipe and weld in an oxygen sensor fitting. I would be willing to loan it out with a deposit if someone would like to try it.
motodutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #32
radiowazee
Golewahz???

Oddometer: 421
+1 on the aftermarket exhaust requiring more fuel -- net net is "leaner" I suppose.

- 2006 KTM 950 LC8 Adventure-S GO!!!!!!! **Sold**
- 2003 BMW K1200RS **Sold**

RALLY PAN-AM RIFF RAFF '08, '09, '10 EXTREME Member
radiowazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #33
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,451
A few holes in your explanation here......

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryfast
When you change out the exhaust your increasing power,

Maybe. Depends on the exhaust doesn't it?

with more power your flowing more air and with air you need more fuel.

Depends on the air/fuel ratio to begin with, since we are at high altitude, even "lean" sea-level settings from the factory can be rich here.

The 950/990 in stock form are very restricted and in fact a little lean from the factory.

Lean at sea level for the 950, but most people seem to think it may be richat high altitude, see above. The 990 is fuel injected, and therefore should change the air/fuel ratio as needed.

If you change out just the exhaust and don't richen up the jetting they become even more lean.

Yep. On the 950 anyway. Might not be a bad thing.
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #34
scaryfast
Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309
A few holes in your explanation here......
Agreed, I shouldn't have made it such a broad explanation, but more of an opinion based on my experiance with the 950's.

I had noticed you went leaner on your mains. What exhaust are you running? I had actually tried that on my 2005 Adventure with the Akrapovic cans with the baffles removed....according to the Air/Fuel monitor on the Dyno I was lean on top. Stock jetting showed an improvement but still a little borderline and I was afraid if I dropped in altitude too much it would make it more appearant.
2007 KTM 640 Adventure - For Sale!
KTM 450SX-F Factory Edition
scaryfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #35
Special Purpose

Quote:
Agreed, I shouldn't have made it such a broad explanation, but more of an opinion based on my experiance with the 950's.

I had noticed you went leaner on your mains. What exhaust are you running? I had actually tried that on my 2005 Adventure with the Akrapovic cans with the baffles removed....according to the Air/Fuel monitor on the Dyno I was lean on top. Stock jetting showed an improvement but still a little borderline and I was afraid if I dropped in altitude too much it would make it more appearant.

I've got the FMF Q's, the Black ones in the current Hard Parts catalog. No idea if they are flowing more or less than Akra's without baffles...

I've also never had it tested, so all of my jetting is based on guesswork. It may be that it would improve by going richer, but I'm going to leave it alone, as it's working well for me as is. I'm not concerned too much with dropping altitude, as I tend to go higher rather than lower. This was a factor in deciding to go leaner on the mains.

I'd love to do some testing, but I'm too cheap to do it anywhere where they won't let me make changes myself between runs, which cancels out every Dyno on the front range as far as I know...
Old 08-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #36
scaryfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 309
I've got the FMF Q's, the Black ones in the current Hard Parts catalog. No idea if they are flowing more or less than Akra's without baffles...

I've also never had it tested, so all of my jetting is based on guesswork. It may be that it would improve by going richer, but I'm going to leave it alone, as it's working well for me as is. I'm not concerned too much with dropping altitude, as I tend to go higher rather than lower. This was a factor in deciding to go leaner on the mains.

I'd love to do some testing, but I'm too cheap to do it anywhere where they won't let me make changes myself between runs, which cancels out every Dyno on the front range as far as I know...
That's a tough one....I don't think theres a shop out there that will let you use there Dyno and do the changes yourself.....that would actually be cool if you could rent one out for a day......hmmmmm!!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #37
Special Purpose

Quote:
That's a tough one....I don't think theres a shop out there that will let you use there Dyno and do the changes yourself.....that would actually be cool if you could rent one out for a day......hmmmmm!!

I was spoiled by my roadracing days. A guy would show up with a mobile dyno, give you a run for $20, then make suggestions based on that run, and sell you jets.

Then he'd let you go make changes and come take another runat no charge. This wouldn't be good business for a regular shop, but this guy was doing runs all day at $20 a pop, which probably worked well for him.

Now I just can't see paying a shop to do the whole thing, especially since I wouldn't trust most techs to change my oil...
Old 08-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #38
scaryfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 309
I was spoiled by my roadracing days. A guy would show up with a mobile dyno, give you a run for $20, then make suggestions based on that run, and sell you jets.

Then he'd let you go make changes and come take another runat no charge. This wouldn't be good business for a regular shop, but this guy was doing runs all day at $20 a pop, which probably worked well for him.

Now I just can't see paying a shop to do the whole thing, especially since I wouldn't trust most techs to change my oil...
This may be something I can talk the shop into doing in the winter months. Give a run at a discounted rate, give you the readout with Air/Fuel and HP, with suggestions....you can make changes based on that....then bring it back when finished for another discounted run. Not promising anything, but this may be something to work on.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #39
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,393
Quote:
This may be something I can talk the shop into doing in the winter months. Give a run at a discounted rate, give you the readout with Air/Fuel and HP, with suggestions....you can make changes based on that....then bring it back when finished for another discounted run. Not promising anything, but this may be something to work on.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #40
scaryfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
I'm working on it.....I may not be able to pull it off until later this year once we slow down some.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:13 AM   #41
DKADV
Travel is education

Oddometer: 451
Question + needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
oooohhhh yeah......That's what we did to HP2Beater's bike..... Now I remember!
I think we lifted the needles two clicks too. And it still runs good, all right and off course not perfect since it seems to work at allmost any altitude, or you can put it as it sucks at any altitude...

It's been like that the past 17.000miles so I'm ok with it....
Yamaha '03 WR450F '05 WR450R '94 TT350 '04 YZF (450)
MZ '81 MZ151
DKADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #42
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,916
I've been testing exhaust cans at G-Force Powersports (Colfax & Wadsworth) on their Dynojet Dyno.

Call Rich Pasco (Service Manager) if you want some info/pricing on jetting the bike on the dyno. You might have to bring the jets with you- call the parts dept there to see if they have them.

(303) 238-4303

He said approx $80 for a KLR, might be a bit more for the 950. But when you're done, you'll know it's right.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #43
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Right now I'm running 48 pilot's, 152 and 158 mains, with the needle at the third clip. Only reason I'm running 48 pilots is I had to order the 42's and they took awhile to get in. WFO it is fine, but just off idle, say 3000 rpms or so it is hunting bad- hard to ride in technical stuff as the throttle seems incredibly twitchy. I rode some technical stuff in Moab today (at around 6000ft.) and it was a pain in the ass. Could this be from the pilot's being too rich? I'm new to this jetting stuff.

BTW this is with Akro's with the baffles in.

Hayduke screwed with this post 10-20-2007 at 04:24 PM
Old 10-20-2007, 04:32 PM   #44
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
Wayyyyyyy RICH! 42's with needles in clip #3 will still be rich at your altitude. Thats not even close to where you need to be. If I had a spare set of 42s I'd send them to you out of ADV pity.
I finally got them, just the other day, but I didn't have time to change them before we came here to Moab. As soon as I get home they will get changed. I'm thinking maybe leaner mains, too, but I'd like it to be ridable down to low elevations.

Top 'o the World has some nice ledges

Old 10-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #45
Louge
silence of the limbs

Oddometer: 1,554
Jeebus Duke ... 48 pilots!!! ... hello 42s

Keep the 152-158s

Shim the needles down to position 2 with a lil washer (position 2.5)

If the bike came with a Sommer door close it (flattens out the AFRs)

Had my first taste of Moab this summer ... can't wait to go back next spring.
Louge is offline   Reply With Quote