ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #46
RedUly OP
Esse Quam Videri

Oddometer: 5,737
It was warm today.

Lots of bikes.

The Blast not belonging to any of my friends was there:

I've seen it before. It has Ohio plates, which is impressive in itself.

This three wheeled device was also there.

Mike checks out a retro Ducati:

I didn't hang around too long. Mike, Mark and I went for a little ride after wards. We ended up at the Jordan Lake Dam. These people were also there:

Which was somewhat inconvenient as I really had to pee, and it would have been easier to arrange had the female not been there. As it was, I wandered into the woods, and when I returned took this picture of Mike and Mark:

I'd never noticed it before, but they wear their hair the same way.

Then we headed down to get some gas, and there was a group of bikes filling up, including this trike:

She actually asked me if I wanted her to get off the bike so I could get a better picture.
I think people who are that bad at lying are probably too stupid to be taken seriously. - #18
You're a slut. But you're cute, so it's ok. - MayQueen
RedUly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #47
RedUly OP
Esse Quam Videri

Another warm day brings people out.

Cute little belt drive parallel twin BMW

A "Tuber" Buell

A test ride in progress. This wasn't her bike. Yet.

Someone else from here was around, don't know who

I think people who are that bad at lying are probably too stupid to be taken seriously. - #18
Old 02-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #48
RedUly OP
Esse Quam Videri

Got the Blast reassembled yesterday so I took it to Michaels (which BTW isn't called Michaels anymore) this morning.

We didn't get the jetting on the carb quite right, so it would only run well at wide open throttle. Even though the Blast is a 27 hp beast, you can only run WOT so long before you're going too fast. I was later informed by my friend Mark that he had never seen someone push a Blast so hard. I was so proud.

I got to Michaels after most of the bikes had left, but there were a couple interesting ones still hanging around.

I hung around a while talking to friends, then headed back home, WOT. I almost made it, when I heard a "pop" and all of a sudden the bike would stall if I gave it any throttle at all. :(

I called my friend Mark with a request to bring me a new Carb boot. If a Blast is broken, there is about a 90% chance it's the boot. Since we had been messing with it the day before that seemed extra likely.

He even put it on for me.

He followed me home, which was only about a mile, and we fixed the jetting problem, and buttoned the bike back up. It's done.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #49
RedUly OP
Esse Quam Videri

Cold this morning, but that didn't stop people from showing up.

If I actually knew anything about motorcycles, I could tell you about this bike. My friends who do assure me that it's special.

Cool bike.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #50
machew01
well seasoned

Oddometer: 95
Oh, so THIS is why you had to hurry home from Morehead City. I haven't been to The Bar & Grill Formerly Known As Michaels since last fall. What is it called now?

mac
machew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #51
RedUly OP
Esse Quam Videri

Quote:
Originally Posted by machew01
What is it called now?
mac
I think it's Carolina Bar & Grill, but it's not open yet, and I've heard rumors that it's current owers are out of money, so it may never be.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #52
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnance
I think it's Carolina Bar & Grill, but it's not open yet, and I've heard rumors that it's current owers are out of money, so it may never be.
So people are just hanging out, no breakfast?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #53
RedUly OP
Esse Quam Videri

Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker
So people are just hanging out, no breakfast?
Yes, though I suspect thats all the majority of folks have ever done. There is a mexican place next door thats open for lunch, I ate there a few weeks ago.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #54
clarkebd
Huh?

Oddometer: 819
Haven't been in years...

Man, I haven't been to Michael's in probably 3 or 4 years...
It seemed like it was always such a small turnout and if the weather was even a bit cold, no one showed.

Looks like it's getting more consistent crowd wise...probably because of how much the whole area itself is growing in population....

I'm suprised it's never moved to a different spot with better food. The parking is easy and plentiful though, and easy to spot from the road too.

They used to have a little coffee stand in the middle of the parking lot - not sure if that's still there. I think they did a good business on Sunday's....

I need to make it out there again.....

98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV - SOLD

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #55
RedUly OP
Esse Quam Videri

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebd
I'm suprised it's never moved to a different spot with better food.
Well, it isn't an organized event, so there is no one to make the decision to move it.

Quote:
They used to have a little coffee stand in the middle of the parking lot - not sure if that's still there.
Yep, still there.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #56
RedUly OP
Esse Quam Videri

Not a bad turnout today.

I'm thinking these mirrors would look good on my Uly. :) What do you reckon BMW mirrors cost?

Lots of BMWs around.

And a few others.

And actually 5 Buells there this morning. :-o Thats the most I've ever seen.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 AM   #57
RedUly OP
Esse Quam Videri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnance
I'm thinking these mirrors would look good on my Uly. :) What do you reckon BMW mirrors cost?
Those don't appear to be stock R1200R mirrors. I guess he thought they would look good on his bike too.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #58
treebumper
Macro Trav

Oddometer: 6
Years ago I read in the Moto Guzzi OC mag, that the gathering @ Michaels was started 30 some years ago by the NC European Motorcycle Club as a weekly unorganised ride/meeting. It obviously had its original weekly event elsewhere and was moved to Michaels in the past 10-15 years. I haven't been in 6 or 7 mos, but they used to get at least 63-102+ bikes on a nice weather day. Looks like it may be up for another move or it might evaporate away. Such a shame though cause of all the myriad of alternative back roads i take from Greensboro. The listed contacts for the gathering are Mark Tenney, NC MGOC rep @ 919 969 7637 or bobby Pearson @ 919 942 1841. Maybe they'll know what's next.
treebumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #59
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by treebumper
Years ago I read in the Moto Guzzi OC mag, that the gathering @ Michaels was started 30 some years ago by the NC European Motorcycle Club as a weekly unorganised ride/meeting. It obviously had its original weekly event elsewhere and was moved to Michaels in the past 10-15 years. I haven't been in 6 or 7 mos, but they used to get at least 63-102+ bikes on a nice weather day. Looks like it may be up for another move or it might evaporate away. Such a shame though cause of all the myriad of alternative back roads i take from Greensboro. The listed contacts for the gathering are Mark Tenney, NC MGOC rep @ 919 969 7637 or bobby Pearson @ 919 942 1841. Maybe they'll know what's next.
From what I was told from Reverend Willy (rides an R11RT) he was one of the people that started it. Who knows?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #60
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,294
Hey Jim, my in-laws used to live about 5 miles from there. A couple of years ago, I was in the area on my S3 riding around on Sunday morning and stumbled onto the event. You see some interesting bikes there.