User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #61
H-Jay OP
Mo 2 C

Oddometer: 401
Track VII Crossing the US Middle Kingdom and going Home

I crossed the boarder in to Montana and found a place to pitch the tent in Whitefish State Park.

It a scenic little park on a lake with a beach. The only draw back is a nearby train with a loud whistle. That night I realized why there was a box of earplugs on the shelf at the ranger shack.

This is the 4th day of 100+ heat. I decided to stay in Whitefish another day, hoping for cooler weather, before going to explore Glacier National Park. I found a café with internet access called the Café Wrap. It’s next to the Downtowner Inn which is popular with the cruiser crowd Whitefish is a nice little town.

I discovered Whitefish is definitely a snow skier’s attraction. When I walked in to the café in my riding pants, the waitress asked me why I was wearing snow pants in the middle of the summer. Of course I told her I found the slopes less crowded this time of year.

Downtoown Whitefish with slopes in the background.

Glacier National Park – Road to the Sun

The next day I spent most of the day wandering around Glacier National Park. It was cool in the AM and on the pass…a welcome relief from the 100+ days. I traveled the Road to The Sun/Logan Pass West to East and took many pictures. Here are a few of my favorites.

Here are some of the pictures I took along the road to my next detour destination Yellowstone.

Could not resisit taking a break and wandering thru this salvage yard

Wow, last time I saw one of these was, well, at the Vintage Motorcycle Races at Mid Ohio earlier this month.

Next: Yellowstone National ParkBear Tooth Pass
H-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #62
H-Jay OP
Mo 2 C

Track VII Crossing the US Middle Kingdom and going Home

Cont.

Yellowstone National ParkBear Tooth Pass

I took the highly recommended 191 in to the park. It’s a nice canyon road.

I arrived at Yellowstone to a huge line of traffic trying to get in to and out of the park. After 28 miles in to the park, I found the campground full that was supposed to have sites available. I told the lady Ranger that I rode 400 miles today in the heat, 28 miles in the park. No reaction, then I begged. She then told me I could pitch my tent in the camp host spot.

George, a former Navy pilot, has been a Campground Host for a number of years. He is a real problem solver and loves his job. Throughout the evening, I heard him at work helping people and making their visit in the park memorable.

The NPS really needs more Georges. Interestingly I overheard the off duty host next door making light of George’s efforts. I’m sure he’s the ranger we’ve all met that feels he is doing a favor by acknowledging us and quick to tell us what we can’t do.

Note to NPS: Hire more people like George!

Here are pictures from the day in Yellow Stone National Park and Bear Tooth Pass.

This guy decided to do a dust dance for the camera.

This guy decided to imitate a tourist and block the road at the same time.

He finally got bored, let us by and went for a swim.

Even the weeds are pretty.

Got lucky and snuck across 90 without much wind and mostly overcast sky so decent temperature.

I decided to take a little detour and wander through the scenic Fishhook Canyon and Needles Highway in the Black Hills.

MOA Rally and got a First Place Prize!

Timing worked out so I could attend my first BMW Motorcycle Owners Association Rally in West bend Wisconsin.

Look what they gave me for coming. Actually, I earned it for beating out 8000 attendees for the distance traveled between home and the rally. I came in at 12,800 miles.

I had a great time looking at motorcycles and hanging out with my local BMW club member friends.

…. Waking up to a nice view…. and realizing this will be the last time I’ll be waking in my tent for a while.

Home again after a total of 13,300 miles. Its time to unpack and think about where next.

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience.

I also have to thank my wife and family for being so understanding and supportive as I wander around on two wheels.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #63
Bert
Fair / Balanced

Oddometer: 56,322
Terrific ride report that wonderfully captures the sense of place and time.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:26 PM   #64
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,725
Amazing!!!!! Thank You
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #65
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer: 1,945
Fascinating! I had the opportunity to read this in one sitting, and was rewarded with the twist at the end. Congrats on the Touring Award. What a readable tale!
87 K75
Do what you love, and do it often.
SheRidesABeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #66
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,849
Outstanding trip, report and pics! Thanks for detailed sharing
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #67
anomad
in storage

Oddometer: 1,697
What a trip!

Thanks again for sharing.
anomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #68
H-Jay OP
Mo 2 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
Fascinating! I had the opportunity to read this in one sitting, and was rewarded with the twist at the end. Congrats on the Touring Award. What a readable tale!
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback on the report. I enjoyed writing it and reading your reactions.

I'm working on a list of tips I've learned from the trip that I will post shortly. I don't consider myself an expert by any measure but I found when others provide tips it was helpful for my trip planning.

H-Jay
Old 08-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #69
Wingspan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Easily the best ride thread I've ever read on any board. Really wonderful, thanks for sharing!!!
Wingspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #70
OrangevaleFJR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I was just skipping around in your report until I realized I was hooked. I had to go back to the beginning and read the whole thing again. Thanks for sharing with us. It really means a lot to many of us.
OrangevaleFJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #71
shrkb8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hey O'vale! is that you?????

It's donaldb from the FJRForum.

I agree this was a very captivating read. Thanks for the ride along H-Jay.

It may be a few more years before I make the cross over to the duel sport. I'm in the early plans of maybe making plans for a ride next year (on my fjr) from my home state of MS up and over and through TN, AR, MO, NE, SD to MT and begin my southern decent as much as possible along the Continental Divide into WY and CO. Then return back home to MS. I now have all I need except a quality tent, and I'm looking. I'm thinking about buying this one.

http://www.bakpakka.com.au/node/530

We will see if I can make my dream a reality. Congrats on your trip of a lifetime, I sure enjoyed reading and viewing the piccies.

NEVER TRUST NOBODY!!!!!!
shrkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #72
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Thanks for taking us along H-Jay. What a great trip! I will be going in 2008 and your trip report has been a very good source of planning information for me.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:33 AM   #73
H-Jay OP
Mo 2 C

Quote:
Hey O'vale! is that you?????

It's donaldb from the FJRForum.

I agree this was a very captivating read. Thanks for the ride along H-Jay.

It may be a few more years before I make the cross over to the duel sport. I'm in the early plans of maybe making plans for a ride next year (on my fjr) from my home state of MS up and over and through TN, AR, MO, NE, SD to MT and begin my southern decent as much as possible along the Continental Divide into WY and CO. Then return back home to MS. I now have all I need except a quality tent, and I'm looking. I'm thinking about buying this one.

http://www.bakpakka.com.au/node/530

We will see if I can make my dream a reality. Congrats on your trip of a lifetime, I sure enjoyed reading and viewing the piccies.
Hi shrkb8,

Sounds like a fun trip. Do it!

If you post your tent question in the equipment section you will get a lot of good feedback. My sense is quick set up may not be the most important feature for MC travel. Good venting to deal with condensation, pack size, usable floor space, tent height are the features I found most important. Most modern free standing 2 pole, rain fly designed tents meet the need. Visit REI or other outfitters. They can give you a quick Tent 101.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #74
Asphalt
Plan Well...Leave Late :(

Oddometer: 951
Awesome! You brought back memories with your travel in ad around Glacier Park. Now I'm itching to get on with another big trip...thank you for a great report and the always enjoyable vicarious internet "road trip".
That is an amazing amount of meaningful miles!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #75
Newstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
What an incredible adventure! A++ ride report. I enjoyed every word and photograph. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Newstar is offline   Reply With Quote