Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
lstzephyr OP
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Dirtbike Noob riding a cool bike old enough to be my dad.

About a month ago a local rider(rpage11/Skip) invited me to go ride one of his 70's Pentons off road with him. I thought this sounded awesome so of course I accepted. Its wicked hot around here late in the day as its summer in the desert so we left early in the morning. He had acquired(borrowed or something) an old pickup to carry the bikes so we loaded up the bikes and off we went in a 60 something chevrolet pickup. Felt very fitting and very old-school.

We drove off into the desert, to a small little turnout in the middle of a long gravel road in a national forest/desert/whatever.(hows that for a run-on sentence! english ain't my major yo!). We pulled the bikes off the truck and he suggested I take the 73 penton 125 six days that I was to ride out on the gravel road and get acquanted. Now I've never ridden a dirt bike off road, never ridden anything smaller than a 650, and no two strokes so this was a bit interesting. He taught me how to kick it, and off I went. I was immediately surprised by how nice it handled on the gravel and how much grip it had. I came back very happy and looking forward to the day. We then took off on the trail.

I didn't really know what to expect but I was pretty surprised how docile it was and what it could soak up. I was very tentative at first but eventually I started getting the hang of it. Even spinning the tire up a bike and getting on it a bit. We got to a big hill climb, and I was quite a bit intimidated however. Skip went running up it quite easily so i figured what the hell, if he can, i can give it a shot.

I got about half way up and started to stall it. So I clutched it and gave it gas....it wheelied up underneath me and almost threw me off the back. I caught it but it landed off to the side, and I ran through a bush. then I got back on the hill climb and did the same thing again. This time I stalled it out. After kicking for awhile I finally got it going again. By now Skip was wondering where I was and so he showed up at the top of the hill....so of course I just ran up the rest of it like it was nothing. No really I did...somebody watching me and I do perfect go figure.

We stopped for a break soon after and just talked bikes and whatnot for a bit.

Next we took off on some other trails and I really was starting to get the hang of it. Standing up all the time and just running over everything. I even started to get a bit of air off berms. I was having a blast! I came up on one large rock and target fixated however. It launched the bike up in the air and threw me off. I held onto the bars however and landed above the tank. Its a good thing I have long legs, because I landed running and just jumped back on the pegs.

We came up on a sand section next...which I had a few issues with. I tried to keep the front wheel going but it just sank. Not sure how to get it out I tried pushing it...then I stood up and pushed. It was so light I practically yanked it out of the sand and just walked over it until it got going again. perfect technique I know.

After being told how to do it I didn't have as much problems going back through the sand. It was almost fun, and I was begining to get it. We took off up onto a hill and at the top took another quick break and bs'd.

On the way back I really felt like I was getting it. I jumped stuff, I worked my way around rocks, I got the weight over the front on hill climbs and I was just moving with the bike. I had made the mistake of saying I was keeping up with him however, so of course he smoked me on the way back.

I loved riding the little bike, and it was a total eye opener for me. I really want a dual sport now and my sv seems far too specialized. The thing that got me the most about the 125 was it was so light I could just throw it around and yank it where I wanted it. Very very cool. I'm sure it's nothing special to you dirt guys but to me this was a awesome day, even with a few ineresting moments.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Some day I will have a awesome blue Penton.
retroone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,314
Nice!
Old 07-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
dawggawn
Nihilist . . . maybe

Oddometer: 1,282
Wow, those old bikes are in great shape. I had the first year, 100cc Berkshire with the Sachs engine and the transmission of a thousand neutrals. Stuck a much improved 125cc in it later. Broke pretty much everything on that bike.

Thanks for the write up. Glad you got to try the dirt and ride a 'classic.'
dawggawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
klrTodd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
2 nice bikes and an old 60s chevy, man you just cant beat that.
klrTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
what's older the bikes or the truck? all look great
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,450
Very cool!!

Now go and ride a newer bike that actually has some suspension!!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:07 AM   #8
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Awesome truck and bikes!

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 AM   #9
Cie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
They look like great fun. Simple, uncomplicated and good at what they do. The only way to ride :)
Cie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,300
Great pics !

Old bikes forces one to truly ride a bike ! Technology forces one to be lazy !
Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #11
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,640
That's a retro-ride from ther word "go". Sweet!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,525
Hi Alan!

Those are some fine looking bikes! You had a great opportunity to ride some classic machinery, there. (I'm jealous!)

And watch out! Riding in the dirt gets in your blood! (and in your eyes, in your lungs... )
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Great pics !

Old bikes forces one to truly ride a bike ! Technology forces one to be lazy !
Yeah kinda like ridin' a bull......I learned in the 70's..... before progressive links... that old school stuff will definitely encourage good line selection!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
lstzephyr OP
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
The pics are by Rpage11 so he gets all the credit. The bikes are his too..in fact so is the jersey and pressure suit I'm wearing.

I definetly had to pick a good line to go through that stuff. I felt like a trials rider in some parts as i would go crazy slow, just working my way through.

Hi Lori! Yeah dirt has definetly gotten into my blood abit. It really got into my helmet though...and my boots....and my clothes.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #15
rpage11
Skip

Oddometer: 482
Istzephyr, I just saw your post, great write-up. I enjoyed the day, always do when it's getting the old bikes out. I was out on the 450x yesterday, completely different technique, but single track dirt riding is fun on anything you bring. Give me a call and we'll do it again soon. Skip
rpage11 is offline   Reply With Quote