User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
dhally OP
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,004
Which way to adjust rear rebound 640 ADV

I've got a 2001 640 Adv and never have been able to figure out which way to turn the rear rebound damping adjustment.

The KTM owners manual says "turn the knob to the left side to increase damping" but that would depend on whether you're looking forward or backward?

The WP manual says "turn the switch clockwise to increase damping". Once again it would depend on your point of view?

What really confuses me is, if I take the most obvious sense of both sets of directions they give the opposite answer.

Can anybody help me???
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
jeiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Nice frame of reference question.

I would say the "turn the knob to the left" direction is meant to be CW if looking down on the bike, since the closest surface (when viewed from the perspective in the manual, that is, from the left side) would move to the left in that case. The "turn the switch CW" is less obvious. Maybe they assume the same orientation, from above the bike, and are consistant?

There may be a convention to these references, but it would be a little weird if it was based on viewing from below.

Have to admit, although I have played with the comp. damping on my 01 ADV, I haven't tried the rebound yet. So, no empirical results to support my theory.

Joe
jeiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,310
My 2003 is marked with numbers 1 - 7. The side of the shock states that 7 is the firmest setting. To get to 7 you would (while standing beside and facing the shock) turn the knob to left (anti-clockwise). There, does that make any sense? It's been a long day...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
tirebiter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Screwin' it in increases..
tirebiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:55 PM   #5
jeiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Chris-

dhally is asking about the rebound adjustment. It's at the bottom of the shock. The top adjustemnt knob is for comp.

Joe
jeiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
herobikes
HE AINT HEAVY HES MY LC4

Oddometer: 207
dampening

If you really mean to adjust the Rebound dampening , its on the bottom of the shock , as was stated , turning the switch clockwise will increase dampening , there is 11 positions , your compresion dampening knob is at the top , 7 positions to chose from , turn counterclockwise to increase dampening.Hope this helps.
herobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 AM   #7
desmonc
Bike Rider

Oddometer: 281
Damping according to the Manual

Turn to the left means unscrewing it or anti-clockwise and to the right would be screwing it in or clockwise (I think).
desmonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
dhally OP
Hammerhead

I tend to feel the "screw it in to make it harder" advice is sound, I'll try it.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
desmonc
Bike Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
I tend to feel the "screw it in to make it harder" advice is sound, I'll try it.
Screwing it in or turning it to the right or clockwise will reduce damping during rebound
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
dhally OP
Hammerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmonc
Screwing it in or turning it to the right or clockwise will reduce damping during rebound
I'm not ignoring your advice, desmonc, but I'm assuming that it's the opposite up here in the norther hemishpere, just like flushing the loo...
Old 07-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
desmonc
Bike Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
I'm not ignoring your advice, desmonc, but I'm assuming that it's the opposite up here in the norther hemishpere, just like flushing the loo...
I was only quoting what's in the Owners Manual.

And Coriolis force does not affect the flow of water in a toilet bowl, its a myth.
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/coriolis.html
Old 07-25-2007, 11:31 PM   #12
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Anyway,

lay on the floor, under you bike with you head below the engine. Look up. Nice. Do you see the shock? Do you see the ribbed collar like knob near the bottom of the shock? That is the reboud damping adjuster.

While laying on the floor below your bike reach out with one hand and twist that knob clockwise. Now you are INCREASING the rebound damping. And if you would turn it counterclockwise you would in turn DECREASE the rebound damping.

(and one advice, when you lay there and your youngest son runs into the garage shouting "fire fire fire!!". DON"T JUMP UP!! -there's a bike above your head-)

Max Kool screwed with this post 07-25-2007 at 11:38 PM
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #13
dhally OP
Hammerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Anyway,

lay on the floor, under you bike with you head below the engine. Look up. Nice. Do you see the shock? Do you see the ribbed collar like knob near the bottom of the shock? That is the reboud damping adjuster.

While laying on the floor below your bike reach out with one hand and twist that knob clockwise. Now you are INCREASING the rebound damping. And if you would turn it counterclockwise you would in turn DECREASE the rebound damping.

(and one advice, when you lay there and your youngest son runs into the garage shouting "fire fire fire!!". DON"T JUMP UP!! -there's a bike above your head-)
OK Maxcool, I can see you are voting with the WP manual. You sound like you have done it before.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:29 AM   #14
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,328
It's not that hard, actually

Adjust it fully one way, taking careful note of the number of clicks. Now you have your base setting, where you started from. Bounce the bike and feel the action of the shock. Turn it completely the other way. Now bounce the bike again. Feel the difference? Now you know which way is harder, and which way is softer. Return to original position and start tuning.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:40 AM   #15
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
01' 640 Adv here; I share yur pain. Ya turn the bottom adjuster counter clockwise, as if you were lay'n under the bike look'n up, to increase damp'n....I know, I know, ya screw it out to increase it.

If'n ya don't believe me here is a simple test. Screw it all the way up, clockwise if yur look'n up at it. Push down all the way on the rear frame and let if off, it will spring right back up. Turn it all the way out/down counter clockwise look'n from under and then push down on the rear frame and let off, it will come back up very slow. slow rebound means more damp'n...Get it
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote