User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
calrider OP
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 676
A Little Scoot up Mt. Fisher.

Decided it was time to contribute a little something to the asylum...

Here's a Google Earth file with the track and thumbnail photos.

I was in Cranbrook, BC for the Canada Day long weekend (July 1). Headed out to Ft. Steele with my sister, niece and nephew for the Canada Day celebrations. They drove, I rode.

The festivities were in full swing by the time we arrived. A group of show riders from the Calgary Stampede were there (probably polishing up for the Calgary Stampede happening the next week.)

There in the distance is Mt. Fisher. My plan is to go up a road that runs along a valley to the right at the base of it. You can see the rescue wagon in case I get into trouble up there...

One of the coolest things about Ft. Steele is an old working steam engine that takes people on a short ride. Originally used for logging on Vancouver Island up until the 50's.

I have a newly-plated xr250r with street-legal knobbies that make highway driving a little nervous, so I was eager to get on the dirt. So off I went...

I'm sure this must have been put up by the farmer down the fork to the right!

The road quickly started climbing from the dry ponderosa pine country of the valley to moist hemlock and spruce forest in the mountains.

There's still snow up there!

Avalanches in the winter can play havoc with the trails.

This put an end to my little exploration. The road continues up to an old abandoned mine.

Had to ford this pretty little creek. (hey, there's snow here!)

This is where the creek came from...

After riding almost back down to the valley, I couldn't resist this little side trail. Just had to see where it went.

Apparently straight through this grouse's home!

These birds are renowned for how dumb they can be. Nice to see a bit of wildlife.

Down in the Wildhorse Creek valley, they're still doing placer mining.

In the late 1800's there was a huge gold rush into this area. People came from all over the States and Canada to try to strike it rich. Nothing left of the town that was here because they mined the ground out from under it. Just a little graveyard left and a couple of old foundations. The gold rush is the reason Ft. Steele was founded by the North West Mounted Police. Sam Steele later became police commisioner for the Yukon during the Klondike gold rush there at the turn of the 19th century.

A little further down the road a bear had been wandering by making deposits into the road bank...

Most likely a large black bear or juvenile grizzly. Black scat is often an indication that it's been eating meat...and is likely going to protect the carcass. If you see a few of these in an area, it is likely hanging out and feeding on a nearby carcass and you'd best be gone before it decides that you may be a threat to it's food source. In this one you can also see the seeds, indicating that it's been nibbling on vegetation. Bears are omnivores, and in this area, mostly herbivorous.

Here's a bit of perspective...

And that was the ride. About 2 hrs total from Ft. Steele. Now a 20 minute ride on the slab back to Mom's home cooking!

calrider screwed with this post 07-23-2007 at 08:18 PM
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,860
What a great playground you have in your backyard!! Great pics, ride and report. Thanks for posting and welcome aboard
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
calrider OP
I'm Lost Too!!

Thanks Gadget Boy... I've got a few more coming when I get a few minutes to pull them together.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:54 AM   #4
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,737
Seems like a good ride and the pics only confirm that. That locomotive is so kool.

Thanks for sharing and im waiting for more pics ...

Chanderjeet screwed with this post 07-24-2007 at 04:52 PM
Chanderjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 AM   #5
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by calrider

In this one you can also see the seeds, indicating that it's been nibbling on vegetation.
You sure those weren't just bits of chewed up 'bear whistles' in there?
Great pics and report! Thanks.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
calrider OP
I'm Lost Too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet
Thanks for sharing and waiting for more pics ...
Your great ride reports were one of the things that inspired me to contribute! Thanks Chanderjeet
Old 07-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #7
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,737
Im glad

Old 03-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
calrider,

did you ever get a chance to climb Mt. Fisher? I think my grandpa climbed it back in the day. He spent almost all his adult life in Cranbrook working the bush and later at the mill (pre-value added mill days) where he ended up a sawyer before retiring - with all his fingers!

signed - a grandson of Jack Shuflita (in case your family knows him; other side of the family in town there is Karr)

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
calrider OP
I'm Lost Too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
calrider,

did you ever get a chance to climb Mt. Fisher? I think my grandpa climbed it back in the day. He spent almost all his adult life in Cranbrook working the bush and later at the mill (pre-value added mill days) where he ended up a sawyer before retiring - with all his fingers!

signed - a grandson of Jack Shuflita (in case your family knows him; other side of the family in town there is Karr)
Hey Meat Popsicle

No, I've never climbed Mt. Fisher. I've wanted to a couple of times, but I don't know many people in Cranbrook and I wouldn't really want to do it alone. It's apparently not technically difficult, just a bit of a grunt.

My parents moved to Cranbrook about 10 yrs ago from Creston (100 km away) My sister and her husband live there too. I live in Calgary, but trailer the bike out there every chance I get. Yeah, so I'm not really connected to Cranbrook family names.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Hey Meat Popsicle

No, I've never climbed Mt. Fisher. I've wanted to a couple of times, but I don't know many people in Cranbrook and I wouldn't really want to do it alone. It's apparently not technically difficult, just a bit of a grunt.

My parents moved to Cranbrook about 10 yrs ago from Creston (100 km away) My sister and her husband live there too. I live in Calgary, but trailer the bike out there every chance I get. Yeah, so I'm not really connected to Cranbrook family names.
Well if I ever was in town when you are I'd climb it with ya

Dang it, you just reminded me - my grandpa started out in Creston, and my ma was born there as I recall... I'll have to ask to clear the cobwebs. Your folks might have known him from either town. Creston can't have been large back then.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Like to have something like this in my back yard

Very nice!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #12
calrider OP
I'm Lost Too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Well if I ever was in town when you are I'd climb it with ya

Dang it, you just reminded me - my grandpa started out in Creston, and my ma was born there as I recall... I'll have to ask to clear the cobwebs. Your folks might have known him from either town. Creston can't have been large back then.
You're on!

They lived in Creston from '76 to about '96. Area population is about 15,000. Never changes.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
oprahrider
Pissed Off Primates Racin

Oddometer: 185
Glad we got this cleared up!

We all owe Calrider a debt of gratitude for answering this age old question.

Does a bear shit in the woods????...
No, apparently, he does not!

Now can you help us out with that other mystery............ " Is a frogs ass water tight?"
Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
You're on!

They lived in Creston from '76 to about '96. Area population is about 15,000. Never changes.
My grandpa and family would have moved to Cranbrook before '76. Not much chance of knowing him in Cranbrook after '96. That takes care of that.

Now, when can I get up to Cranbrook...
Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
RECON
Guit Sum

Oddometer: 744
Beautiful country!

used to's: '08 Kawasaki KLR650, '97 Honda ST1100, '03 Honda XR650R, '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, '03 Kawasaki Meanstreak, 19?? Yamaha XT600, 19?? Kawasaki GPZ550, 19?? Honda Twinstar200

IBA# 39329
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote