Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #196
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
My newest phrase: I only wear clothes to keep you from being embarrassed .
Let me be the first to thank you.

Edit: Not that I don't also employ that policy.

DireWolf screwed with this post 08-08-2007 at 08:25 AM
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #197
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Okay, now I believe BHB was actually there.

Did he break his thumb? It's always doing this:

Shrinkage.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #198
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
Did he break his thumb? It's always doing this:
I want to know how he fixed a flat with that thing sticking out all the time.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #199
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrkb8

Thanks for the ride along................now that you are at your destination.......I have a couple ?s

You ride all the way to Prudhoe Bay and then they stop you and will not allow you to continue on to the Artic ocean?????????why???????? is it a national security thing w/the pipeline????????
Yes, because just past Deadhorse, Prudhoe Bay is private property owned by BP (and another oil company who's name I forget) so you need permission to continue. Plus, they do an actual background check on you, so yeah,if you're a registered terrorist or something, you could be denied. Anyway, Prudhoe Bay is indeed right on the Arctic Ocean, so the ride out to the beach is really only a couple of minutes, but before you get there, you get the tour of the area and facilities. It's pretty cool!

Quote:
How far is the guide/tour/ride to the artic ocean??? from Prudhoe Bay??? is this a full day event?? if so what else is provided in this ride/tour and how much does it cost???
The tour was $36 US and it lasted around an hour. That included a 20 minute presentation that was quite interesting, and the swim and certificate upon completion .

Quote:
WOW!!! 180.00 per night!!!!!!!! I guess if your the only game in town then you can charge what ever you wish.
You got that right, but let me tell you, it was worth it. Here's what you got for the $90 (per person) - shower, 24-hour meals at the cafeteria at no charge, laundry, warmth and dryness. It is actually quite the deal. I believe the Caribou Inn is $250 per person.

Quote:
I saw that you guys ride most day and night, did you by chance ever stop while in/on the tundra region and camp/rest/nap or was doing so too risky of a venture w/bears, wolves, etc.
There were plenty of places to pull over on the tundra, but apparently pitching a tent is not a good idea. I mean, you could pitch a tent in the pullouts, but it's too close to the road, and on the tundra itself, well, it's too spongy and thick with vegetation and just not condusive to tents. Plus wildlife, high winds etc. There may be others here who can chime in why it's not a good idea. But all in all, there's just no need or reason to.

Quote:
What were the temp ranges you experienced during this ride??
On the whole ride, I'd say from 40F in Prudhoe Bat to 85f or so in Fairbanks. It wasn't that bad. Brauhausbier had a thermometer on his bike and could probably answer the question better than I can. I'd say the average temps for the whole trip was between 45F and 55F. Some days I wore longjohns and some days not.

Quote:
Thanks for the adventure..............now I'm looking forward to the report on the trip back
Thanks for the kind words, and it's feedback like this that motivates me to continue on. It's a little bit of work to write up these reports, and I have to admit, there's somedays that I just don't feel like it.
Quote:
Sorry for the noob ?s
Yeah, whatever They are excellent questions and I'm glad you asked them. All questions are welcome.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #200
shrkb8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
why would they not allow you to wash your bikes???

while I would like to do this some day..........it will be a few years before I could make such serious plans to do something like this. No doubt a once in a lifetime trip for me. At the moment my travel plans are not so adventurious. Next year I'm considering a loop from my home in MS up to St Louis then across and up to SD then over to Montana and Wy, then down/over to Co and back home. A 2 week adventure for me, all alone and on asphalt.

I like to pace myself and do not enjoy riding much past 12 hours.........that makes for a full day for me. So my earlier question concerning stopping and camping was a effort to determine if I ever decided to take such a artic venture, are there places along the way that is safe for me to stop, put up camp for the evening and catch a few z's. I simply/biologically/physically cannot ride much more than 12 hours at a time, and sometimes much shorter if weather is difficult. 12 hours is under optimal conditions.

Hell after riding on all those rocks for 8 hours I'm gonna need a Beam and coke

NEVER TRUST NOBODY!!!!!!

shrkb8 screwed with this post 08-08-2007 at 12:12 PM
shrkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #201
MK_GS

Oddometer: 651
Did BHB change his tire before or after giving passersby cavity searches?

(Nice gloves)
MK_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #202
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrkb8
why would they not allow you to wash your bikes???
The place is actually extremely environmentally clean. When a semi pulls up to fuel up, for example, they slide a little baby inflatable swimming pool-looking thing under the engine to catch any drips. If anything more than a 1/4 cup of oil hits the ground, they have to call in an independent cleanup team. It's environmentalism gone wild, but I'd say without it, the potential for it being a filthy, oily place is there. With regards to washing the vehicles there, you can imagine the accumulation of oils that would take place from the engine, tranny, diffs, etc, so they just don't allow it. They do have a windshield washing station though, but it looked unused to me.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #203
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,953
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, and it's feedback like this that motivates me to continue on. It's a little bit of work to write up these reports, and I have to admit, there's somedays that I just don't feel like it.
Too bad you can't get any kindness from we jerks of the PDX Crew.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #204
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

I didn't know any of you bug-eyed, slack-jawed bastages knew how to read! Why do you think I put up so many pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle
Too bad you can't get any kindness from we jerks of the PDX Crew.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #205
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,565
This keeps getting better and better....more great stuff, Arno.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #206
jwashburn
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur
You and me both, Jim. Though I have no idea how I'll swing that many days off. I *think* I know how I'll swing the cashola, but I have about $2k to add to my Husky to make it roadworthy for this trip (hard panniers, improve the light, GPS, seat upgrade). I hear you now are Huskied too.
Indeed I have. I picked up a 2006 Husky TE 510 and love it. It's a kick ass bike. I don't know how it would do on this trip though. How do you like the 610?
jwashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #207
ElFuego
hold your horses

Oddometer: 84
Maybe if you said something like, "...it was a stratocaster with a whammy bar..."

Quote:
Ding ding ding! You win!
I'm always amazed that no one ever picks up the sprinkling of Zappa that I leave everywhere.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #208
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,565
Nanook a no-no

I'm still waiting for him to sprinkle in:

An' the Northern Lites commenced t' glow
An' she said
(Bop-bop ta-da-da bop . . . )
With a tear in her eye:
WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO
AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW