Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #301
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,074
DrRags, your sig has been bothering me for a long time, and today I (bored at work, going over this thread) I finally understand it.
So I made something for you!

Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #302
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Been starin' at that pic for a long time, have you?
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:22 PM   #303
jeckyll
Kneedragger

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
Yeah, there is something so very very wrong with that!

jeckyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #304
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
It's my screen backdrop. You look cold, I think you need to ware a sheep skin jacket.....mmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

I can't stop thinking about you, made you another.

Sheep Shagger screwed with this post 08-31-2007 at 02:37 PM
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #305
jwashburn
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
"I think you need to ware a sheep skin jacket" - now you're making me nervous.
jwashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #306
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,323
He must've just got back from working in France again

I didn't realize this thread was still going, Arno - It dropped a few pages back for a bit and I thought it was done. Glad to see it again, those last pictures are some of your best.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:43 PM   #307
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
Glad to see it again, those last pictures are some of your best.
+1
Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 PM   #308
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Great pictures and ride report. Thanks for taking time to post it.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #309
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Wow, some people are still reading this drivel? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #310
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Beaver Creek, Yukon

As I was crossing into Yukon from Alaska on AK Hwy 2, I stopped off at the last gas station (on the left) before I would cross the border, to get more Duty Free smokes. So I go in and pay for 2 cartons, but the guy won't give them to me. He says that he has to take them to customs, do some paperwork, then he can hand them to me. "WTF"? But, he doesn't have time yet, can I go busy myself with something and come back in 45 minutes? Oh good grief, so I ride a quarter of a mile to the gas station on the right (brand new) and have lunch and buy a t-shirt and stuff. 45 minutes later I return to the duty-free shop and ask if he's ready. He is, and we haul ass down the road for 10 or 15 minutes (!?) 'till we hit the Canadian border. He goes in, and he comes out and hands me the smokes. "That's it!" he says. I ask about how profitable could it possibly be that he's got to drive a round trip of at least 20 minutes in an old pickup, just for 2 lousy cartons of smokes. Apparently not much as he then tries to sell me his gas station/duty free shop for $100k or best offer. It even has electricity, running water and a house. As tempting as it was, I had to pass. Having taken over 9,000 pictures, you would have thought I'd have taken some pictures, but I didn't.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #311
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Alaska to Yukon on AK Hwy 2

Chistochina and Mt. Sanford and Capital Mountain.

Had a great time talking to these folks who turn out to be from just up the road from me. Wish I could remember their names!
As we shall see, some Harley riders actually get out and ride their bikes.

Texaco station that burned down. I'll bet it was intense

I'd been riding alone for awhile now and I was getting lonely, so I decided to pick up a hitchhiker. He didn't talk much though, just sort of hung around.

I'm a sucker for seeing an unused side road and just following it. I didn't quite know what to make of this place at the end of the road though. I actually got a little creeped out and left.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #312
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Do'h!

I found a picture of the AK duty-free shop after all.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #313
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Beaver Creek, Yukon

Up until now, the only place I took a motel was in Prudhoe Bay (and it was worth it!). Now, as I cross into the Yukon and into Beaver Creek, I decide to motel it. I pull up to the motel and ask the clerk if "this is the home of the $35 a night rooms?" No, it's not, the rooms are $90. I ask about the billboard up the road and she say that she does have a room for $40. "Ok, I'll take it". Well yeah, it was technically a room. I decided that I would not let my skin touch anything in the room that didn't belong to me. The last room in the row of 6 rooms was the "shower". I can't complain, it had some hot water and it didn't stop running until I turned it off.

But I gotta tell you, I missed my tent, with the breeze blowing through it and the smells (of nature, not of my sleeping bag! ) and stuff. The room was stifling and I regretted getting it.

Another ancestor who could'nt wait to wake me up in the morning.

I was baffled by this old, yet currently registered car. Later though, I saw more and came to the conclusion that there was an antique car show going on somewhere. I probably saw 20 or 30 of them.

Midnight at Beaver Creek, Yukon. I'm the only one awake, probably within 50 miles. I just kind of stood in the middle of the street, looking around - no cars, no people, no traffic or noise of any kind. I let my mind wander, imagining that I was the last person alive on earth. It was easy to believe, here.
Looking west:

Looking east:

The sky was neato.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #314
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

The road to Kluane Lake/Destruction Bay

CDN Hwy 1 was the worst road yet for frost heaves. On the bike it was an absolute hoot, but I don't know how many RV's and cars pulling trailers that got lulled into a false sense of smoothness that would hit one of them unexpectantly. I saw several camper trailers who's wheels left the ground, and RV's that looked like they could have launched to the moon. Being the evil man that I am, I couldn't help but laugh and think "I hope all their shit is nailed down, because if it isn't, it's all over the floor by now".

There was a long construction zone almost at the end of Destrucion Bay where I waited for 45 minutes. The heat was starting to make me impatient, just sitting there in the noon-day sun. Finally we all got the word to go (yay!) and we made it 100 feet before we had to stop again and wait for 15 minutes, then another 100' and wait, etc, ad naseum. By the time I got to the end of the construction site, I just pinned it and left it there for a half an hour. I felt better after that

The water is always flowing up here, and flowing fast.

Another of the ol' timey cars.

Another instance of taking an unmarked side road or side trail. I cut a left onto a single track that led me down a small hill right to the beach! I went kind of slow and I could see the rocks under the water clearly, so I kept on going into the water for a little ways. I should have gone further out, but it took me by surprise, so this is as far as I went. I probably could have gone another 20 feet before the water came over my boots.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #315
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,250
Drrags,
ABSOUFREAKINLUTELY Amazing pics and ride report.
Glad to see your back safe.

Thanks for taking the time to do the trip and share it with us

A++
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote