Originally Posted by jeckyll
Nice job!

drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #364
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,582
Very Nice

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this report. I have followed it all the way. I will be and have been using it for research on my own Alaska ride with my WIFE! Alaska 2008 August

Question please, How long in days from L.A. I believe to Alaska and back? (I think you said three weeks in Alaska and 3 days on the Ferry but how about getting there and back.)

How about some Ferry Info? Tickets etc.?

What time of year did you go?

Once again I Thank you for this great report and all time you put into it.
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #365
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
It was 2 600 mile days to Hyder, Alaska, then 5 more leisurly days (~500 miles/day or so) to Prudhoe Bay. I reckon from LA, tack on two more days, unless you have an IBA number, then it's less If you want to see everything, give yourself 9 days up and 11 days back at a minimum IMHO.

We left the 4th of July and got back at the end of July and I thought this weather window was perfect. Not too cold and not too much rain.

The whole ferry ride was $815. I don't remember how much was for the bike, and how much was for the person though. If you're bringing a passenger, count on another ~$350. Your first stopping point should be:
http://www.alaskaferry.com/

Cool, I'm glad you found the trip report useful Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this report. I have followed it all the way. I will be and have been using it for research on my own Alaska ride with my WIFE! Alaska 2008 August

Question please, How long in days from L.A. I believe to Alaska and back? (I think you said three weeks in Alaska and 3 days on the Ferry but how about getting there and back.)

How about some Ferry Info? Tickets etc.?

What time of year did you go?

Once again I Thank you for this great report and all time you put into it.

drrags screwed with this post 09-06-2007 at 08:57 PM
Old 09-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #366
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,554
So whatever has happened to BHB and Forrest? They both kinda dropped off of the ride report face of the earth. BHB hasn't even uploaded all his photos to Smugmug at last glance.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #367
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Dunno man. Last I heard, Forrest packed up and moved to Montana. I haven't seen BHB but once since we got back myself. Hopefully they'll chime in.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #368
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,943
Couple things. . .

First of all, awesome ride report--you set the bar so high I am not even going to try. I started reading your report before we did the same trip and here I am back and reading the end of it. Tremendous job and thanks for all your efforts--it really proved beneficial to us.

Secondly, passenger fare on the ferry is ~$325 and the vehicle charge is the rest--prices just went up. You dont have to book in advance--we had to change our reservation and went on stand-by. You'd be surprised how many people dont show. This is not a recommendation, jsut a heads up.

Thirdly, that sternwheeler in your pics is from Portland! You might recall it as the same one that ran aground a few months ago.

Fourthly, on our ferry ride two numbnuts got arrested for disorderly conduct and fighting on the lounge deck. At first I thought it was my buddy since we got blasted the night before and lost track of each other. It was easy to find me though--I was the one snoring LOUD.

We didn't meet many other riders on our ferry ride. We saw a couple R1200gs in the hold but they apparently had staterooms because we never ran into them. We didn't even bother pitching a tent on the deck--just slept on the lounge chairs. Finally, be very watchful of the boat crew when offloading. One of the asshats was in a hurry and released one of my tie-downs while I was loading my bike and nearly dropped it. We had words.

Again, great job on that astounding ride report!
soyanarchisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:03 PM   #369
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto
Fourthly, on our ferry ride two numbnuts got arrested for disorderly conduct and fighting on the lounge deck. At first I thought it was my buddy since we got blasted the night before and lost track of each other. It was easy to find me though--I was the one snoring LOUD.
Didja get pics?!
Quote:
We didn't meet many other riders on our ferry ride. We saw a couple R1200gs in the hold but they apparently had staterooms because we never ran into them. We didn't even bother pitching a tent on the deck--just slept on the lounge chairs. Finally, be very watchful of the boat crew when offloading. One of the asshats was in a hurry and released one of my tie-downs while I was loading my bike and nearly dropped it. We had words.

Again, great job on that astounding ride report!
I'm guessing that end of June-ish must be the peak as we saw a zillion bikes going south. When we went south we saw very few going north. Perhaps you went pretty late in the season?

And thanks again for the kind words. But seriously, you should write something up, if for no other reason than for yourself. You've certainly experienced things that no one else has. Hell, even if you just post the pics and nothing else! I love reading other AK ride reports - even more so now that I've done it too!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #370
moheybee
bzzz

Oddometer: 87
Great report!

You can see the house I grew up in in the photo below. A block and a half right of the big brick elementary school.

I watched the ferry depart and dock so many times. I always told myself I'd take it some day.

Someday soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags

moheybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #371
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Woah, that's a trip! Do it next summer!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #372
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,943
I got pics of some woman who had to be transported off the boat with the orange rescue boats onto vancouver island. Sadly no pics of the fight.
soyanarchisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #373
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

See?! You got plenty of unique stuff to do a trip report with! do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #374
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,220
It's over...

Say it aint so. Peak my intrest and say badee badee badee that's all folks. If I buy you a beer will you fill in the gaps in your story?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #375
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
Alternatively, there's a ferry which leaves from the N of Vancouver Island (Port Hardy), which takes you to Bella Coolla, or Prince Rupert. We took the ferry to Prince Rupert and drove back down in my wife's 'Burb.

We also reeeeealllllly frustrated a Harley rider. We missed our original ferry to Victoria (came 10 minutes too late and were 3 cars back from cargo capacity of the ferry so we had to wait for the next one).

In and around Victoria, the Valentine was going bananas with excellent reason. IIRC, they're illegal, so be forewarned.

In the lower 1/3-1/2 of the island, there are sections which have a lot of stop lights for cross streets in what would normally be called "the middle of nowhere". Why? I dunno.

We were in a hurry, so we'd hammer down at the lights. In this fashion, we ended up next to a Harley (Road King?). The light turned green, we left him in the dust. In a stock 4x4 'Burb loaded with kids. The second time, he was ready for us and wrung that poor Hardley out. And the third. And the fourth. And every time, he fell behind.

While I love my Harley bretheren as much as any other MC rider, I don't forsee a Harley darkening a spot in my garage.

Generally, SWMBO will give me the evil eye and tell me to stop , but we were super time-conscious (we got to the inner passage ferry with 3 hours to spare, but we'd never been, so that was verrrry tight for us), so this time no evil eye. She was as concerned as I was with missing our ferry, if not more so.

Around the 3rd light, she's looking over at the Harley rider, laughing. Which helped nothing since he looked over just in time to see her doing it. The 4th light involved a huge clutch drop on his part. To no avail. Clearly he was getting enormously frustrated.

The 5th light we ended up near a town (can't remember the name), and I don't speed through towns, so I slowed down. The Harley rider was sure he had finally demonstrated his superiority, and changed lanes in front of us with "flair" (e.g. close and zippily).

He ran over a bots-dot (the small ones) as he did it, and his left case popped open, strewing the contents all over the road!! I dodge most of it as best I can (he's in front of me now, showing me who's boss). In dodging what is likely his shaving kit and God knows what else, I put Firestone Wilderness AT (they suck in the wet) tire prints all over a nice, clean, white T-shirt.

So I hammered back on the gas to tell him. About 2 miles later (< 2 minutes), we had just pulled up with him when he jammed into the left-turn lane and made a left on a green arrow. Thank goodness it was a Harley, he came nowhere near grounding out the gorgeously-painted open case's lid as he made his left, keeping at least 3" of clearance.

I've got to keep going North or risk missing the ferry. So we wave sadly in his direction and keep going. (it's around 310 miles from end to end)

We made the ferry, and the ferry was a great ride. Along the way, we get passed by a cruise ship. We later find out my dad and step-mom are on that cruise ship. Small world!!

You have to do one of these inner passage ferries if you ever get the chance. The scenery is breathtaking.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote