Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #61
jwashburn
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Those pictures are fantastic. They make me hate you just a little more with everyone I see . Keep 'em coming. I can't wait to hear the stories first hand.
jwashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #62
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,897
Cool, keep it up.
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #63
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in on that. I don't think he was very amused

Did you get a pic of the ancestor hitching the ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK_GS
I would have paid money to see BHB's face when he found the puddle of "fuel" under his bike.

Damn crow impaled itself on my RT last week. Stuck to the mirror between it and the light bracket and wouldn't come off. Ceremonial ancestor blood was left on there as a warning to others.

Keep the pictures coming...
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #64
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
drrags: Hey Brauhausbier, how fast does one of them thar glaciers move?

BHB: About as fast as our ride report is going to when we get back.

Forrest: huh?

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #65
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

From Watson Lake to Whitehorse

To tell the truth, the road from Watson Lake to Whitehorse just isn't that fantastic. I mean, it's still cool and all, but compared to everything else, it's just not that memorable, unless you see something interesting on the side of the road.

And that's just what happened. As we're going west, I notice these black shapes on the side of the road for about a mile or so, then I don't see anything anymore. It's kind of like black sheets of newspaper blowing in the wind. Oh well, it was a mystery and I let it escape my mind to make room for new information. That is until:

Note what's left of the shotgun. I was surprised to see it, assuming Canadians just couldn't own firearms. I was wrong.

I actually remembered their names for a couple of days... Sorry guys, please fill in if you see this. Anyway, they were a father and two sons on a trip from Alberta, heading west. The black stuff I saw a mile earlier was the contents of the poor kid's saddlebags that caught on fire from being too close to the muffler. The dad packed what was left on his Suzuki 400 and they were determined to continue on. There was nothing we could do for them. So we continued on.

Until we stopped for chow. And whom do we meet? Our very own local celebrity - Gary Smith. If you don't know, he's the one that took off on his Ural sidecar to Tierra del Fuego on a whim, previously not having ridden more than 150 miles from his house. He has a DVD out called Burro Has Three Wheels. Apparently on this trip he's going all the way north.

Hamming it up in front of his *new* Ural.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #66
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Ok, that was funny
I get the message, and it's nice to read that there's someone actually interested in this drivel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
drrags: Hey Brauhausbier, how fast does one of them thar glaciers move?

BHB: About as fast as our ride report is going to when we get back.

Forrest: huh?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 PM   #67
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
Ok, that was funny
I get the message, and it's nice to read that there's someone actually interested in this drivel.
Great ride report. Screw speed - if we want that, we'll just watch a few of those time-lapse slide shows! Man, that camera's on speed.

Keep it coming!

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:41 PM   #68
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
That is until:

Alberta and west on a pair of RFS bikes. Okie-dokey. If they were doing a lot of dirt I could maybe make sense of it but 17" wheels on the one in the foreground so I've got to assume it was nearly all highway for him. It pains my butt just to think of it.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #69
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Whitehorse

Ok, so remember that I have a partial brain only, and that it's full. Whitehorse is the capital of the Yukon Territory, and something like 90% of the population of this vast land live in Whitehorse. Wow. So anyway, Whitehorse is a cool town and I liked it there, but what I didn't like were the prices. Ces't la vie I suppose.

When I was in Watson Lake, I called ahead to the KTM/Honda dealer and asked if they had a tire in my size - I didn't care what kind. John(?) told me they had one in stock. "When do you close?" "5 o'clock sharp." Not knowing how long it would take to get there and find the shop, I gave my cc# and asked him if I didn't make it in time, could he please stash it somewhere outside where I could find it. He agreed. Well, I made it in time after all and bought the tire and 2 quarts of oil. Total damage was $260, but I paid it gladly. I had a tire waiting for me in Wasilla, but that sure wasn't doing me any good now!

And another reason I had nothing to complain about was that when we were eating at Watson Lake, I remember this guy from Newfoundland coming in and said something to us about tires in that sing-song accent. Next thing I knew, he was gone. Well, as it turns out, he and his buddy, both on GS's and smoked their tires also, and not only that, buddy #1 was already riding on the cord and could not make it to Whitehorse. That left buddy #2 to do the 5 hour ride to Whitehorse and back to Watson Lake. Of course they were both heading to Whitehorse anyway, so buddy #2 got to do it again.

KTM's and lawnmowers

How I spent my summer vacation. Ok, I have to come clean to Brauhausbier. I had no idea why I lost first gear. It was the weirdest thing and the only thing I could think of was oil. I changed the oil and there were no metal bits anywhere. That's a good sign! But what I found was... that the bolt that holds the shifter on its spline had backed out and so the shift lever was sloppy enough that it hit the frame before it moved the shaft far enough to engage. Well, I was highly embarresed to say the least, so I publicly declared that "yup, changing the oil fixed first gear!" So, here it is, a backed out bolt, and not the oil after all.

John (on the right) was super-cool and went out of his way to accomodate us, even though he needed to get to his 20 year high school reunion. Thanks man!

Another guys who's name I can't remember, maybe it was Dell? Anyway, this guy could talk a mile a minute about anything! He told us about the guy who got blown over by a wind gust on the haul road and rode into a pole. Apparently busted up bad enough that air-flighted him out of there. He had that Med-Jet insurance. It wasn't life-threatening, but it was bad enough to put an end to his trip.

Dell, do you think you have enough shit packed on your bike?

And so the day ended at Whitehorse with the most expensive campground so far - $16 per tent. Whatever. At least they had showers. Also, there was a Chinese restaurant in town where they said they fired the cook and brought a new one in Directly from China. All I can say is that they need to send him back. Notice that I still have the yellow tent.

drrags screwed with this post 07-31-2007 at 04:06 PM
Old 07-31-2007, 12:07 AM   #70
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Another factoid

You may have noticed that pretty much everything fits in my two Zega's and the tank bag, nothing else. I kinda hate having shit strapped all over the place on the bike, and besides, by trip's end, you'll have shit strapped all over anyway. At the very last minute I packed a lawn chair, and that's what you see strapped to the back.

My pack list is:

CLOTHING:
4 Wicking T Shirts
2 Pairs Jeans
1 Pair of hiking pants
4 pair wicking undershorts
4 pair wicking socks
1 wool sweater
1 long johns
1 Hat
1 Bug Net Hat
Camp Shoes
Bathing Suit
Electric Jacket
Jacket Cord

CAMPING:
Tent
Sleep Pad
Sleeping Bag
Towel
Wash Cloth
Toilet Bag
Unscented Soap
Unscented toothpaste
Electric razor
Toothbrush
Hair brush
Flashlight
Headlight
Ipod (that I seem to have lost)

MOTORCYCLE SUPPLIES:
Tire Repair Kit
Tire Irons
Compressor
Tool Kit
First Aid Kit
Motorcycle Cover
Wire
Various Nuts and Bolts
Wire Ties
Duct Tape (for taping the tent to the ships deck)
Multi Tool
Face Shield cleaner
Rags
Gas Can
Rope (25’, used for strapping the tent to the ships deck)

RIDING GEAR:
One-piece Aerostich
Riding Boots
Racing gloves
Three Season Gloves
Helmet

PERSONAL GEAR:
Extra Eye Glasses
Ear Plugs
Canada Insurance Certificate
Registration
Drivers License
Medical Cards
Debit Card
2 Point and shoot cameras (one on the belt, one was the time-lapse – Pentax WP and Pentax W30. Both are waterproof and dustproof and smaller than a pack of smokes.)
Canon S3 (which self-destructed less than halfway through the trip)
Cell Phone
Battery charger (AA Rechargeable)
Maps
Alaska Books
Toilet Paper

Small Sharp Knife (mini Swiss Army knife)
Leatherman Wave/multitool
3 or 4+ various sized plastic bags (it rains a lot there)
Tire Pump-Electric (Slime pump, works great!)
Spare fuses for bike
Decent can opener (P38 for you vets)
Matches/Cig Lighter
Tire repair kit. (at least half the people in route have a flat)
At least $300 cash for emergencies/tires/tire changes, repairs.
A bicycle cable lock for locking the helmet and ‘stich to the bike when eating or something.

The only thing I'd change when going to a new, cool place is to pack more socks and less t-shirts because you'll be buying plenty. When I bought souveniers for friends back home, I'd usually just send them back to my house instead of packing them along on the trip.

I used everything I packed, and wanted for nothing except duct-tape and rope for the boat. It was my best packing job yet.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:32 AM   #71
DualSport650
Lucky Burglar

Oddometer: 625
Holy fu%&in' shit!!!

Nice ride report!

It it comin'
DualSport650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:39 AM   #72
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Fearless Leader! Good to hear from you! You would have dug this trip. This is the only trip I've ever been on where I would turn right around and do the whole thing again, same roads and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport650
Holy fu%&in' shit!!!

Nice ride report!

It it comin'
Old 07-31-2007, 12:43 AM   #73
DualSport650
Lucky Burglar

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Fearless Leader! Good to hear from you! You would have dug this trip. This is the only trip I've ever been on where I would turn right around and do the whole thing again, same roads and everything.
Yeah, the report is making me wish I would have GONE!

Responsibility SUCKS!!!
DualSport650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:41 AM   #74
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,661

But keep it coming...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:44 AM   #75
rhrose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Yer one of those guys that reads the magazines from the last page forward, aren't ya. Are you sure you're ready for this? Ok, here's a teaser!

At least you'll know when you should skip ahead later

Don't look now, but your Pee pee is turning black.
rhrose is offline   Reply With Quote