User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #91
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Escape from Whitehorse

One of the things that the pictures cannot convey is the solitude, peace and quiet, the fresh air that you take for granted, the lack of airplane vapor trails and cell towers. Sure, there are other people on these roads so you never feel all alone, but they are rather far and few between. It's nice to see a lake or a mountain or something and just pull over and stare, and while you're staring, there's nothing to interupt your reverie. You just have to experience it. So keep that in mind when you see some of these pictures and go "ho hum, whatever".

I don't know how many times I'd pass a lake, or river or something and be startled to realize that there were no roads to it, no campground, no boat dock, no screaming kids running around, just pure, unmolested nature.

Hey, you like that trick method of packing a tire? Pretty cool, eh? Lot's of clearance, keeps the back seat free for scootin' around, yada yada...

What I forgot to take into consideration is the amount of suspension travel the KTM's have, and you get to use most of it on the frost heaves
Do'h! I wonder how much longer I could have gotten away with it before it was ruined.

Thanks to Brauhausbier for alerting me to it!
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #92
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Dawson

Dawson seems like a pretty cool place, and I've talked to people who've spent days there. We just blew through it, though. Maybe next time?

The ferry was pretty cool, mostly because it has to crab aboot (hey, I'm in Canada now ) 70 degrees just to make a parallel line across the powerful river. That engine is just honkin' to get across! I'd hate to be on that ferry if the engine ever gave out!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 PM   #93
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Top Of The World Highway!

Next up is the Top of the World Highway. No trip to Alaska is complete unless you do this road. It was by far the highlight of the whole trip, from the beginning, to the customs in the middle of nowhere, to Chicken, AK and on to Tok.

It's just hard to imagine that, as you gain altitude, you look around and see mountains 360 degrees, and you ride and you still see the mountains, and you continue to ride, hour after hour and the stunning scenary just never quits, nor does it get monotonous. Never ending and always changing. Awesome, stupendous, sensory overload. There just aren't enough adjectives to describe it.

So, to reflect to peace, solitude, spirituality, etc, I'm going to flood you with the pictures with minimal, if any, commentary.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #94
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Great report. Keep it comin'!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 PM   #95
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Old 07-31-2007, 08:39 PM   #96
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Great report keep it coming. For a few years I have been thinking of a trip to Alaska on a motorcycle. I stumbled upon this site and it opened up a new can of worms. I hope to go next year.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:41 PM   #97
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 PM   #98
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 PM   #99
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 PM   #100
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Same thing happened to me. An Alaska trip was way down on the priority list for me. I had been thinking of moving back down to Tucson lately and when Brauhausbier invited me along on this trip, my thought was "Why not, once I leave this latitude, I'll probably never come back up this far again, so do it now." Man, I gotta tell you, I'm sticking around a little longer because this is certainly not the last time I'm doing this trip! I think it affects a lot of people the same way. For example, the ADVriders I hooked up with on the ferry back to the lower 48 spent a good deal of time, pouring over the maps, planning next year's adventure!

Do it, you won't regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz
Great report keep it coming. For a few years I have been thinking of a trip to Alaska on a motorcycle. I stumbled upon this site and it opened up a new can of worms. I hope to go next year.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #101
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

I'm trying to break up the pics so there aren't so many on one page to help facilitate loading the page quickly, but it doesn't seem to be working. Sorry.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:04 PM   #102
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

This is not photoshopped, these hillsides are covered in Fireweed.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 PM   #103
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

What I'm trying to convey here is that there is no guard rail, and that it's a sheer drop off here. This was as close as I dared go, taking a picture and hanging on one-handed.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #104
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

One thing that's hard to appreciate is the magnitude. These pics were taken over a period of many hours. Sitting here, looking at them all at once gives the impression that we rode a couple of hilltops and snapped a million pics. Believe me, that's not the case. Alaska is huge in every sense of the word.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #105
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

My god, is this flood of pics ever going to end?

Maybe not