Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #121
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Is that the name of the mental facility now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto
Sheepshagger: do you live in Enumclaw?
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #122
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,444
Google it--apparently the residents of this WA state hamlet are quite fond of buggering livestock. A documentary was made about it.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #123
biketherapy
si se puede

Oddometer: 505
great report! Brings back a lot of memories. Thanks!
biketherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #124
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Heh. Found this on another AK thread (ere109's):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=42

One on the left looks familiar.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #125
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto
Google it--apparently the residents of this WA state hamlet are quite fond of buggering livestock. A documentary was made about it.
I thought that was generally common over much of WA.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #126
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

More time-lapse!

The Top of the World Highway gets noticably more "fun" once you cross the border.

Well, one thing I learned is that time-lapse is more interesting when the camera doesn't move, so I'm leaving some of that stuff in.
Regardless, here are 3 more:

Top of the World coming to the border crossing.

Top of the World after the border crossing.

Top of the World rolling into Chicken, AK.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #127
the velvet hammer
airhead @ heart

Oddometer: 241
..OK Arno, you have officially made my computer vomit. A reboot brought it back and my stomach is holding up so far so keep this crazy thread coming, time-lapses included. I don't think I saw this much RIDING these same roads! Holy crap!
the velvet hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #128
Jace
Bellevue Rider

Oddometer: 75
drrags,

I don't have a smoky picture from the Top of the World Hwy to share, but here is one from Antigun Pass.

Keep posting lots of pics. I'm really enjoying your thread.

Later,
Jace
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #129
Scooter Girl
motopickle

Oddometer: 1
Wink Was it fun ofr what?

Glad to see you made it home safe! the pics are great but I wanna hear some real stories. let's meet for beers soon so I can hear the juicy details!
Scooter Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #130
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Well now, my work is done and I have succeeded in my goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the velvet hammer
..OK Arno, you have officially made my computer vomit. A reboot brought it back and my stomach is holding up so far so keep this crazy thread coming, time-lapses included. I don't think I saw this much RIDING these same roads! Holy crap!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #131
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Wow, all of this is smoke from the fires? Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace
drrags,

I don't have a smoky picture from the Top of the World Hwy to share, but here is one from Antigun Pass.

Keep posting lots of pics. I'm really enjoying your thread.

Later,
Jace
Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #132
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

More and more and more and more and more and more....

Ahh... We finally pull into Chicken, Alaska. Do you know why they named it Chicken? Because they couldn't spell ptarmigan! The ptarmigan is Alaska's state bird.

If you filled up, and you were tenting it, you could pitch your tent inside this structure! You bet we jumped on it.

Home, Sweet Home

Brauhausbier's filthy pig.

drrags' filthy pig.

No comment

So while Brauhausbier is settling down to get comfy...

drrags has got some business to get down to. The wheel is way too filthy to swap tires, so I asked the station dude if he's got water. Indeed he does and tells me where it is. Well, there's no hose, just a spigot, and I tried in vain to clean the wheel by splashing water onto the wheel, that is, until I had a better idea

Does this t-shirt make me look fat?

What follows is just comical. I wish there was time-lapse for this. I felt like Wile E Coyote trying to mount the Sahara 3. It had the stiffest sidewalls I've ever encountered. What should have been 15 minutes probably took 2 hours!

Meanwhile my bike is suffering the embarresment of being half-naked
Old 08-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #133
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

New Friends!

Now I don't know if you remember the sign on the gate at the border, but it said that it closed at 9:00 pm, so we were surprised to hear two bikes roll into camp past 11:00 pm! Meet Wyatt on the left, and Dennis on the right. Look carefully at the seat on Dennis' KLR!

Here, let's look at it again from a vantage point where you can gain some perspective.

Oh god, I don't remember what it came off of, something like a Vulcan or something. I was too busy shielding my eyes and running for it. Dennis claims he never has to get off of it. (Something that's verified by his marathon run from Cache Creek to Galt, CA in one stretch. Quote: "We rode nonstop from Cache Creek B.C. Cannuckistan to Galt CA with two one hour breaks and one three hour breakdown on the KLR. We left at 8:48 AM on July 21 and got there at 15:56 on July 22.") Can you say Hardcore!? Remember, this is a sputtering and wheezing KLR that normally does sidehack duty!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #134
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

O'dark thirty? Oh, right.

The coolest thing is, the farther north you go, the longer the days. You're riding along, diggin' all of the surroundings and you eventually check the time and it's like "Holy shit! It's midnight! We'd better start looking for a place to camp!" So you set up camp, and you sit around and talk about the day and the next thing you know, it's 2, 3 or 4:00 o'clock in the morning! Well, that's fine, except you still get up at 6, 7, or 8 o'clock, and not even tired! I think I went for a week straight on 4 hours of sleep and never felt it.

Check out how close the setting sun is to the rising moon!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 AM   #135
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Stupid tent

Ok, remember me refering, seemingly at random, to my little yellow tent? Well, a little explanation is in order. My little Black Diamond, single-wall tent is my nice, rainy Northwest, backpacking tent that packs up to the size of a small loaf of bread. What's cool about it is that you put the tent together from the inside. That's handy when it's raining. See, you grab your poles and drape the tent over you and put the poles in place and viola, you're done! Well that's fine and dandy in Oregon, but as I would discover, it is not the ideal tent for Canada and Alaska!

See, here's the problem, as soon as you get off the bike, you are swarmed by little mosquito bastards (and they have telepathy to their bastard family and friends about the upcoming mealtime). So, as you're inside the tent, putting it together, all of your new mosquito buddies are in the tent with you! All that your netting is worth now is that they can't escape, not that they'd want to!

So... my nightly ritual was to wait until it got dark, then I'd turn on my LED headlamp and squish them, one by one between my fingers (I'm going to crush you) until I'd get them all and could lay down in peace and get some sleep. (I don't think skeeters can see with LED light, because they don't run from you like they do when you try to squeeze their heads in the daylight).

So anyway, Wyatt was complaining about his tent and that he hated it so bad that he got another one, therefore he's carrying an extra one. "Really? I'll take it!" The only problem was that it needed stakes to be set up; it wasn't self-supporting. That kinda sucked because Alaska is just one giant blob of granite and stakes just didn't go in wherever I tried to drive them, but... I had skeeter-free innards! When I got to North Pole, I sent the little yellow tent home.

That was a mistake.