City Navigator

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by beemerdon, Jul 27, 2007.

1. beemerdon

beemerdon Dual sporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone yet sell City Navigator NT v.2008? I just bought a Garmin 60Cx and I want to get the City Navigator software but I don't want to have to buy version 8 and then turn around and buy version 2008 UPDATE also. Is there a place that sells the whole version 2008, not merely the Update? Thanks.

Don Sprinkle
  2. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    2008 update just came out... just wait a little 2008 from scratch will be available soon I bet.
  3. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    What does "from scratch" mean :ear
  4. MTRREF

MTRREF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't NEED the NT version. I loaded the standard version version of 2008 last weekend; it does take a BUNCH of time!

Put a two gig card in your 60Cx and it will take the entire standard version and leave more than enough room for all the tracks you'll ever want to store. :clap

Jim
  5. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I meant buy 2008 out right compared to buying V8 then the upgrade to 2008

If it's not out yet, it will be soon ! if anyone want to buy navigator, it should wait for 2008 to be releases.
  6. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI, I just went through the process of loading City Navigator NA 2008 on my 60Cx with a 2-gig card. The entire map database took 1726 MB.

It takes a LONG time to transfer to the GPS. I originally tried it over USB cabled to the GPS and it took about 30 minutes to index, then started a load which looked like it was going to take about 3 hours. This seemed ridiculous so I tried removing the microSD card from the GPS and loading it through a USB microSD card reader. I left and didn't monitor the index and transfer, but the indexing was taking the same time and the whole thing was completed in less than an hour total, so the transfer was much faster writing directly to the card.

(Something is seriously amiss in Garmin's USB setup if my speeds are typical - I compute a transfer rate of 1.3 Mbit/sec which is very slow. Isn't the 60x series a USB2 interface and capable of at least the "full" connection speed of 12Mbit/sec, if not the high speed of 480Mbit/sec? My computer's USB setup is not the issue since it was much faster over a USB microSD card reader.)

In any event, it all works fine on the unit and I didn't notice any degradation in scroll or recalc times with the unit now having all of US and Canada on the card. In fact, it seemed snappier than with my old City Select data - perhaps the "rechunking" of map data into larger segments speeds things up. Pretty incredible to have a battery-powered $300 handheld GPS that has detailed maps of most of North American on it. As long as I use nothing but City Nav, I will never have any reason to load maps again.

One caution that might bite people loading huge amounts of map data like this - always be sure to uncheck the "Maps" checkbox when doing any future transfer of routes, waypoints, or tracks as maps are a complete re-index and overwrite ever time you make a transfer.

All in all, it seemed well worth the total $90 to do this upgrade. ($75 upgrade from City Select V7 to City Navigator NA 2008 + $15 for a 2-GB microSD card after rebate.)

- Mark
  7. IVDesertRat

IVDesertRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess the next question is what is the difference between the City Navigator NT version and this new City Navigator version?

The other question would be when is the new City Navigator NT version coming out?

I just bought the NT version so I would be curious. Thanks
  8. MTRREF

MTRREF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that the time is WAY too long! Part of the issue is the processing that the computer does to the files: there is the indexing you saw and another step that I can't remember. Once all that processing is complete, then the transfer starts on the old USB protocol.

Would you please explain in more detail how you convinced the computer to dump the maps to your microSD chip? Did you use a generic card reader? I know I'd appreciate a step-by-step on this time saver!

Thanks in advance, Jim
  9. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea, you can use a card reader (USB2.0) and in Mapsource when you want to upload the maps, do a "Find device" and it should find your card reader drive. just select that an you can upload the maps.
  10. laswift

laswift Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a 2 gig micro sd memory card with an sd adaptor. I inserted the micro sd into the adaptor then the adaptor into the built in card reader in my laptop. I was able to transfer all the maps from north america 2008 directly to the sd card in an hour. Worked way better than the first time I transfered the V8 maps using the usb cable when I originally got the gps device.(Then it took well over 3 hours)

MTRREF
    you do not have to convince the computer to dump the maps.

I installed the maps to my laptop ,then selected all the maps then selected "transfer" from the menu options in mapsource, then select ""to device" it found the sd card and transfered all the maps.

You need to have the sd card in a card reader and don't have the gps connected to the pc at all.
    once the maps transfer than insert the micro sd card into the gps unit and you should be good to go.

I am only familiar with Mapsource North America V8 and 2008 update and the GPSMAP 60CSx

hope this helps.