User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
CaseyJones OP
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 776
Old BMW K?

My R1100 may be terminal...or, put another way, I won't pay ransom to the stealership.

Meantime...I found, about a thousand miles away, a 1986 K750. Low miles. Nice photos. $2200.

Of course it all depends on the hands-on...but is something that old with the Majik Roundel on it, going to be worth anything? I have never ridden a K. Three cylinders, to me, seems a good compromise - space and smoothness. Water cooling...but ooooOOOlllldddD.

Check it out? Or is it a waste of time? I know it'll be less power...I can handle that.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #2
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 705
I know of more than few K75 BMWs with well over 200,000 miles on them. VERY smooth running bike, much smoother running than the R1100 could ever hope to run, even with the best TB balancing. I'd say it is well worth checking out.

Now, I happen to like my 94 R1100RS, which this year should exceed 190,000 miles on the original engine. All achieved by my hands as a self taught "mechanic" of sorts.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
The K75 is, IMO, one of the best bikes BMW ever built. The engines are virtually bullet proof. Not a tremendous amount of power off the line, but once up to speed, it has very good roll-on power. Long-distance riding is a pleasure on one of these, especially one that is fully faired. Heat is an issue: riding it during extreme hot weather can roast your inner thighs. On the good side, it makes for an awesome cold-weather machine. Mine was a pre-ABS 1987 K75. Loved every mile (165,000) that I put on it and it never even hiccuped. Lube your spines at the recommended intervals, use decent fuel, and it'll love you long time.

Buying a used one is tricky: did the PO give it the appropriate lovin as he should have? If not, look for another. They are plentiful.
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
OLD GREEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
I've got a ratty old K bike kicking around here that I use as a winter bike and I've done some cross country trips on. It's the larger K100RT with 147,000 on the clock and it still runs smooth as glass compared to my old R1100R. It still doesn't use any oil either unless it sits on the side stand for a while, in which case watch out!

The only weakness I've found with them is that they tend to be electrically sensitive. Make sure all the grounds are good and clean as well as all the connectors. Other than that, ride the wheels off of it.

Also, I agree with Cafe Dude about the heat the bike dumps into lap on a hot day. I would not pick a Fully faired K bike for sitting in rush hour traffic in the middle of summer, it can get miserable quick.

OLD GREEN screwed with this post 02-26-2015 at 07:40 AM
OLD GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,739
Being in Western Montana it doesn't sound like you'd have an issue with hot traffic bumper to bumper heat effects...

They're probably the best balanced, all around bikes BMW ever built, only a few horsepower down from the K100 and much smoother (I've owned both).

You can refresh the bad elecs, and even the heat guards and under tank reflective guards to handle heat.

But shop around, there's still plenty of them out there, and they're usually a steal.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
The K75 is arguably the best K among the classic series. I owned one long time ago, it is near perfect.
But for THAT price, their should be younger models on the market. I would advise to look out for a younger one with that budget.
I was visiting my young friend last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper. “This is the 21st century, old man,” he said. “We don’t waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad.” I can tell you, that fly never knew what hit it...
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
CaseyJones OP
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Being in Western Montana it doesn't sound like you'd have an issue with hot traffic bumper to bumper heat effects...

They're probably the best balanced, all around bikes BMW ever built, only a few horsepower down from the K100 and much smoother (I've owned both).

You can refresh the bad elecs, and even the heat guards and under tank reflective guards to handle heat.

But shop around, there's still plenty of them out there, and they're usually a steal.
Believe it or not, traffic is an issue.

Anyone familiar the Missoula area can vouch for this. It's an area just exploding with growth - traffic here, which has outpaced roads, is comparable with anything I've seen in major cities. It's small and compact...but the major arteries are just knotted up.

I'd never looked at a K before - it's one of the better-kept secrets, no doubt. And what they're pushing new is the six-cylinder model...what does ANYONE want THAT for? I want that kind of an engine, I'll get a cage. Powerful, yes, but ponderous - and ready to crush you if your foot slips and it tips.

I'll have to keep my ear to the ground for a K75. The one I was looking at was a naked bike with a small fork-mounted fairing on it. Now having dealt with a good fairing...I'm hooked and seduced.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
i got one last fall with the intention of hooking a sidecar to it. I got a Ural sidecar rig, so I won't be hooking a sidecar to it. I need to sell it, but I don't want to. I enjoy riding as much as any bike I've owned. I love how it sounds and it's power delivery is nice, even though it's not particularly fast. I've had a few BMW's and this is my favorite of them all.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Brad-Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
The K75 is all you need if you don't plan on riding/touring 2-up.

I have 2 Yamaha RD350's and a K100. Bought the K for trips w/the missus after a lot of time doing research and even more time waiting for the right one.

What others have said - smoooooootttttthhhh and indestructible as long as the splines get regular attention - w/Guard Dog - NOT what dealers use from BMW....
Brad-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Another point to compliment those (good 'uns) already made: the older BMWs enjoy good parts availability. That's not something you can say about all brands. In addition, there are K-bike forums that have members who seem to know everything ever worth knowing about K-bikes, and they are happy to share their knowledge. BMW K-bikes, whether k-75s or others, merit your consideration if you are on a budget and want a quality bike for little money. I love my old K100RS.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
El Matador
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
One area to watch out for on any monolever K bike is the driveshaft/pinion gear splines. They are commonly neglected. If they haven't been lubed regularly, they will be worn. When they strip, it will leave you stranded, and cost around $1000 to repair.
El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #12
HSThompson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Bang for the buck is hard to beat with K bikes from the 80s and 90s.

As said above though, there are a ton of them out there. I wouldn't travel 1000 miles for one.

If you monitor Craigslist religiously, you can pounce when some local dude with a stack of service records puts his up for sale.
HSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
hensmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
The first winter with my first K, allright, it is a K100, 30 years old with some extra, but after ridding since 1982, i regret i never had a K before. But a decent K75 would be my next. Heard about crossing states and driving long therms in your land, i would say, drive and buy it, i did the same.
Hans

hensmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #14
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matador View Post
One area to watch out for on any monolever K bike is the driveshaft/pinion gear splines. They are commonly neglected. If they haven't been lubed regularly, they will be worn. When they strip, it will leave you stranded, and cost around $1000 to repair.
A good used one will be $350 and an easy DIY job.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #15
Neverenuff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
On my second K bike and I like it. Watch for electrical grounds and driveshaft splines.
Al
Neverenuff is online now   Reply With Quote