Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,563
KTM 640-let's see your tool kit?

Guys,
I'm a traveler.
Using the idea that you should be able to remove all major components and remove/replace the cylinder and head if necessary, here's what I carry.

Includes a picture of my spare parts bag,tire tubes/toolbag, air compressor, chain tool, hammer and survival knife.

The first picture shows my every day tools and this bag is kept handy.
The rest gets buried.
Hopefully I won't need them.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 10:00 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,497
Bill- Hate to break it to you bub, but you're gonna need to either get a sippy cup for that cuppa Jo or put a lid on it.

It's gonna spill.

Dirty
Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,980
The KTM axle wrench, tire iron and inflation kit obviously don't fit in the E tool kit. So those get carried under the seat.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
in-trim
Finding my Way

Oddometer: 31
Hey guys,,, I've got my '03 last year and have slowly been getting my toolkit together (since stock kit wasn't with bike), from reading threads on here as well as trial and error. I've got a trip planned next month and have been trying to find all size sockets/wrenches/etc needed on the bike, but after lots of Google searches, now I think throwing this out there and asking for your advice and knowledge.

So,,, can anyone/everyone chime in and add to my list? I'm looking for bike specific tools, not generic things you should have for all bikes (like zip ties, adj wrench, patch kit, etc). Thanks in advance for yer help.

Allens
3-6 & 8mm (for kickstand bolt)

Sockets
6, 8, 10, 12, & 18mm deep (for plug)

Wrenches
8, 10-12, 14, & 27mm (for axles)
Old 03-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,392
question is how mechanically inclined are you, no point carrying tools if you can't use them...the list will vary accordingly depending on your skill set or how deep you want to get into a repair in the middle of nowhere

if Bill would add an itemized list to his it would be a great resource but i know he's living the life of an RV traveller right now without his bike
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,053
Add a 13mm socket & ROE wrench. Very few 12 or 14mm fasteners on the 640 but lots at 13mm. Also 17 & 19mm sockets for the oil bungs. Check that your 8mm socket fits into the recesses for the air filter sidecover bolts - some fat 3/8 drive ones may not. same for the plug socket, it needs to be fairly thin walled. Add your special handled 0.15mm feeler gauge for the valves if you will be on the road long enough to be doing a service.

I should get some pics of my kit & post up the list.

The stock toolkit is actually a really good start. A 12/14 OE wrench, some lil vice grips & a 5mm hex key should also fit in the holder if you pack em right & that gives you a good basic set.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Found out today from my KTM dealer that the stock tool kit is no longer available. Of course that's the one thing I didn't get with my 640.

Is the one from a 990 basically the same as far as axle sizes etc? Those are on eBay for around $55 shipped....
Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
clintnz

Got some pics so here's a rundown of my kit. I wouldn't claim it's the ultimate, everyone's requirements are different. In fact while laying it out I realised I could probably change a few things to save weight & increase function, but it has proved to be a pretty useful setup. Mainly to fix other people's bikes of course as everybody knows KTM's hardly ever break down

This is what goes in the std tool carrier, just stuffed in loose as the original bag was abraded into oblivion years ago.

My old blue 6mm t-handle tool lost it's detent ball recently so I got the above black/orange job from the local dealer, had to cut down one end so it would fit in the tube, 6,8,10mm sockets to fit. I made a 6mm-1/4" adapter for it so carry bits instead of a screwdriver etc; 3x flathead, 3x Phillips, 3,4,5mm hex. Wrenches are 8+10mm & 12+14mm OE, 13mm ROE wrench.

Whenever I'm going very far from home I add the 'Expedition Expansion Pack' It fits nicely in the bottom of one of my Andy Strapz soft panniers or is strapped onto the tail rack:

Inside is:

The trowel is for burying shit if free camping, so not always taken. If doing overgrown tracks I'll put in a folding saw too. Toilet paper, tyre gauge, electrical wire, small zip ties (more zip ties & baling wire attached to bike) chopped up inner tube for HD rubber bands, tyre patch kit, duct tape, insul tape, couple of straps (should replace these with a proper webbing tow strap) The denim wrapped parcel is a spare front tube.

In the stripy bag is:

Tied up with innertube bands to reduce rattling.

The 22mm tyre iron is for Rosie's bike, 27mm for the KTM, 19 & 17mm ROE wrenches, 11mm ROE wrench (brake bleeders) with open end cut down to fit spoke nipples. 8mm hex key, tent pole repair sleeve, spare levers, round file, 1/2 round file, mini hacksaw, mini floor pump. Swiss army knife with saw, scissors & corkscrew.

In the red case is:

Spare nuts, bolts, electrical stuff, chain joiners, plug of epoxy putty, mini ratchet bit driver with 1/4 drive adapter & 13mm socket, couple of extra bits, 2.5mm hex (fits some accessories I have) 0.15mm custom feeler gauge for valves.

Other stuff:

Little LED headlamp, very basic 1st aid kit wrapped in a rag, hand cleaner.

One thing I'd add is a little multimeter but my girlfriend carries one of those usually. I'd like to add a small spray bottle of WD40 but am yet to find a container that will handle the pace.

I'd probably add some extra stuff if I was travelling long term in exotic places like Bill has, but the above has done ok for many miles & years.

Cheers
Clint

Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Clintnz,
Mister, you are the real deal.

Thanks for posting your war bag.
That's some serious shit.
When I look at those tools I feel the miles and the years.

Very beautiful those are.
Very complete.

Ride well all you tool brothers, no fear.

bill

Bill Shockley
Old 04-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
in-trim
Finding my Way

Oddometer: 31
Thanks

@rtwpaul - I'm mechanically inclined, but no certified mechanic,,, just certifiable. Especially with the amazing help on this forum, I do pretty much all the maintanence on my bike. It's forums like this that give me hope for the internet, so much helpful info and people.
@clintnz - thanks man,,, just what I was looking for. Had the feeler gauge in my kit,,, but doh, forgot about the sockets for oil changes (and just did one the other day). I'm jealous of where you live,,, NZ seems similar to my neck of the planet, surf/ride/ski/climb all within easy reach,,, but you've got more sheep than people.
@bill - thanks for starting this thread (and ALL the others you've done) and letting a noob like me jump on your knowledge bandwagon. Jealous of your RV traveling life right now, but sad to hear you don't have a scoot with you.

Thanks again guys. I'm just one of many LC4 noobs who are getting an easier ride thanks to your work. I owe you a beer in gratitude if/when our tyres ever cross paths.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
rtwpaul
out riding...

as you get your tool kit together you always seem to end up with a random set of not really suitable bags for it all to fit in

yesterday i was home depot and they had what they call a document bag with an expandable bottom, (find it in the tool section) very heavy duty canvas and well made for $2.50...also had a set of three in different sizes for $6.50...sorry Clintz the shipping would kill you

Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #12
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Hey Paul, nice score!

Hope all's well.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 04-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
rtwpaul
out riding...

i read this thread cause it had your name on it so i know the detail would be good, and i'm trying to reduce my tool kit (weight), almost ready for the RTW just had one minor issue occur, a counter sprocket shaft seal is leaking so need to replace then i'm good to go... are you coming to Overland Expo if you are still in AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Hey Paul, nice score!

Hope all's well.
bill
Old 04-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #14
clintnz

Thanks Bill, you are a poet & a scholar.

A couple of things I think I could change in my kit are to replace the 17 & 19mm wrenches with one of those Motion Pro 3/8-27mm tyre iron adapters & some sockets. Also a 3/8 extender - I don't think I could get to my top shock bolt easily with the current set, the WP goodness is one of the least likely parts of the bike to need attention though.

Be interested to see what you come up with Paul.

Cheers
Clint

Old 04-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #15
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Clintnz,
Thanks for the compliment.

As for Paul, no worries about him, without saying too much I have seen the workings of this man's sanctum.

He has enough tools to start a factory.

bill

Bill Shockley