User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
fullmosey OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
DR650 tire suggestions

I have burned thru my original Trailwings on my new DR650. Any recommendations for the wee tiny 17" wheel? Experiences, thoughts, psychotic rubber ramblings are welcome.

Thanks!
fullmosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
You might wanna start by telling us where you ride mostly?

single track offroad only
the occasional fire road
tarmac only
etc.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I have 3 favorite rear tires for 3 different conditions. For dirt, I like the kenda trackmaster II, for dualsport or multi-day trips with plenty of dirt and plenty of pavement, I like the kenda 270. For street, I like the stock trailwings (I find them cheap as throw-aways).

Fronts are different. I don't like the dunlop 606 front AT ALL. The mt21 is better but not great. I'd rather use a generic knobbie (cheap, non dot) than either of those two. The 270 is alright for long pavement stretches. The trailwing is good for the street.

What are you doing with the bike BTW?
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:49 AM   #4
sleepywombat
the DR650 pig

Oddometer: 456
im after a similar answer i want a front tyre for a dr650 that wont wash out on gravel i dont mind the stock rear tyre , when the back slides out the fun begins, so any suggestions for a good poriced front tyre would be helpful
sleepywombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:32 AM   #5
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,332
Sleepy for me its the MT21 on the front almost always it does it for me. You might want to see the thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133497
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Get the metzeler Karoos. Street legal knobbies> excellent wear and R rated for 106 mph. Don't waste your money on those crappy kenda 270s. They wear out quick and have absolutely no traction offroad after they wear about 200 miles. After replacing the k270 tires every 500-600 miles, I switched to the Karoos. More $$, but the first set has lasted for over 2400 miles, still going strong and thats true dual sport> 50/50 riding. The karoos were developed for these kind of bikes and this kind of riding.
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBDRdude
Get the metzeler Karoos. Street legal knobbies> excellent wear and R rated for 106 mph. Don't waste your money on those crappy kenda 270s. They wear out quick and have absolutely no traction offroad after they wear about 200 miles. After replacing the k270 tires every 500-600 miles, I switched to the Karoos. More $$, but the first set has lasted for over 2400 miles, still going strong and thats true dual sport> 50/50 riding. The karoos were developed for these kind of bikes and this kind of riding.
This is nonsense. My 270s have outlasted all other tires I've run...except the stock trailwings. I get about 3k out of a rear.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,568
i've tried alot of tires over the years. the 270's are ok, pretty good mileage but they really skidded around on the hard dry stuff i ride here in AZ. pretty sketchy on fast dirt. i'd call it a good tire for slabbing and easy to moderate dirt. i have almost 2500 miles on my mich bajas now, still about a 1/4 tread left on the rear, it'll prolly just about make 3k miles. with the awsome traction they have offered me on dirt i call it a good buy. noisy on slab, but thats ok. front tire design wanders on slab but hooks up like a bitch offroad. proved to be a good tradeoff tire favoring dirt with better than average mileage for its aggressive knobs.
i think for a tire to be as good as can be in both environments you should stick to a tire with large un-directional tread blocks. the teek, MT21 and 606 are a few that come to mind. these tread styles will offer good offroad traction while providing a stable and predictable slab manner as well, not the best in either world, but a fair compromise to both i think. if you look at past posts on these and other similar tires you'll see a pattern develop, good on the street, good on the dirt, but not great at either.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #9
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
This is nonsense. My 270s have outlasted all other tires I've run...except the stock trailwings. I get about 3k out of a rear.
Yeah and you're probably riding on the road 90% of the time. K270 are awful offroad tires. If you're riding dual sport for real - not that pavement stuff all the time, you'll find the Kenda are basically road tires - period.
BTW, the trailwings are nonsense!!!!
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #10
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,783
When the stock rear wore out on my KLR the shop put on a Gripster. Great road tire, just awful off-road. After 500 miles I switched to TKC80 front and rear. Perfect. I doubt I'll run anything else. Great on road, great off road. Couldn't be happier for a 50/50 mix tire.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
These sound like the ticket:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=mefo

Me, I just got a brand new set of 270's form a guy who didn't need them, so they were way cheap. Worth a try.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #12
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,164
The two best front tires I found for use on my DR650 were the Dunlop D756 and the D739F. These are not street legal tires but they worked well on or off road. They were used tires that I took of my MX bikes but they still had plenty of tread left on them for DS use.

If you want your tires to work well on the DR you have to get the suspension dialed in. With the stock suspension the best tires you can put on the DR will only deliver marginal performance.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #13
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
I've gotten long miles on 270's as well but the best 50/50 tires I've used are Kings 966. They do better than 270's on pavement and as good on gravel. I use them on my wifes bike on sand washes, but she couldn't do that without full knobs. They last a long time on street when aired up to 30 or so.

They chunk off a little when I use them on my x-LC4 but the DR650 doesn't have the power to chunk them.
ram1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:15 AM   #14
Tholund
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
If more than 50 percent on-road, Dunlop D606. If more dirt (sand) MT-21's

Dan
Tholund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:25 AM   #15
sleepywombat
the DR650 pig

Oddometer: 456
just got a dunlop 606 front tyre fitted today for $100, going to take it for a ride tomorrow to test it on gravel/dirt.... first impressions on tarmac are good, though it did feel a little slippery ...but i put that down to it being a new tyre....will let you know how it goes tomorrow
sleepywombat is offline   Reply With Quote