Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #1516
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
Any pics of the centerstand?
Not of a completed stand. These pictures show how it will attach to the frame. It takes about a minute to install. The legs shown below are from an XR650L. The legs will be much shorter for the NX.

Once I get a stand completed I will post a couple. I will get a few of the stand on a bike also.

Mike
Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #1517
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I just picked up an '88 NX650...it's set up with Bridgestone Trail Wings.

I'm shopping for some new treads suited to 80% street 20% dirt (and by dirt, I mean nothing overly technical and I'm not looking for mud performance).

I'd prefer to stick with a major name brand like Bridgestone, Metzler, Michelin, etc. Anyone care to point me towards a few options to consider?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #1518
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonroy View Post
I just picked up an '88 NX650...it's set up with Bridgestone Trail Wings.

I'm shopping for some new treads suited to 80% street 20% dirt (and by dirt, I mean nothing overly technical and I'm not looking for mud performance).

I'd prefer to stick with a major name brand like Bridgestone, Metzler, Michelin, etc. Anyone care to point me towards a few options to consider?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Avon Distanzia's are great tires unless you think you'll ever have to get over a wet log. I'm running one in the rear and I like it. If you want something more aggressive, the Continental TKC 80 gets good reviews.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #1519
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
Avon Distanzia's are great tires unless you think you'll ever have to get over a wet log. I'm running one in the rear and I like it. If you want something more aggressive, the Continental TKC 80 gets good reviews.
Thanks pablo83, the Avon's look like a potential choice for my intended use.

I'm generally willing to pay more for a quality tire...sure cheap tires have their place in the market, but based on my experience with their bicycle tires, I'd never buy Cheng Shins.

But what about the Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires? The reviews are overwhelmingly positive & the price looks good. Maybe worth a try at that price (about $100 for the set shipped).

Claytonroy screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 07:29 PM
Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #1520
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I had a pair of the Shinkos on my NX when I bought it. They worked pretty good as a 50-50 tire before I went to the D606 and Metzler Karoo. I remember the Shinkos being pretty noisy, maybe even more than a real knobbie.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #1521
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

I ordered a set of the Shinko's today. Hell, at $96.52 for the pair shipped I couldn't pass them up.

I'll report back after I mount 'em up & test them both on & off the pavement.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #1522
outback96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback96 View Post
Yes, I believe that its the battery. Thanks for the help and troubleshooting.
Just thought I'd report back regarding my no power issue I was having. After replacing the battery the bike started right up, rode it the next day as it was a warm 30 degrees, clear sky and the sun was out. It was nice to be back out on the road again. thanks again for the sounding board.
outback96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #1523
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Howdy again...I searched this thread for gearing advice but didn't find the info I was looking for. So I'll pose a question to all of you longtime NX650 owners.

I live in the city...and I'll have to ride an hour+ at 55-65 mph to find decent offroad riding. Should I stick with stock gearing?

The chain is wasted on the bike I just bought...I'm thinking I'll need to replace sprockets too. Should I go +1 tooth up front?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #1524
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonroy View Post
Howdy again...I searched this thread for gearing advice but didn't find the info I was looking for. So I'll pose a question to all of you longtime NX650 owners.

I live in the city...and I'll have to ride an hour+ at 55-65 mph to find decent offroad riding. Should I stick with stock gearing?

The chain is wasted on the bike I just bought...I'm thinking I'll need to replace sprockets too. Should I go +1 tooth up front?

It depends a lot on how often you ride in the city and what kind of trails you ride. Generally, stock gearing is reasonably versatile on this bike. On easy/intermediate quad track you'll only be able to use 1st-3rd and they have big gaps for the trails, but that's the price you pay for being comfortable on the hwy. I've taken my NX on technical singletrack and the ground clearance was much more of an issue than gearing. So generally I'd recommend stock or maybe 1 bigger in the rear, unless you're going to turn it into a trail machine, in which case you'll want one smaller in the front.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #1525
awirsing1998
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
It depends a lot on how often you ride in the city and what kind of trails you ride. Generally, stock gearing is reasonably versatile on this bike. On easy/intermediate quad track you'll only be able to use 1st-3rd and they have big gaps for the trails, but that's the price you pay for being comfortable on the hwy. I've taken my NX on technical singletrack and the ground clearance was much more of an issue than gearing. So generally I'd recommend stock or maybe 1 bigger in the rear, unless you're going to turn it into a trail machine, in which case you'll want one smaller in the front.

I agree on 1 bigger in the rear, I have had mine that way for 6 yrs. I don't do much in the dirt with it, but ride daily to work at 70+mph (less than 30 miles). I can still lift the front anytime I want even with the bigger rear.

I added a custom Hagon Shock in the rear, and it lifted the bike around 1 1/2".
awirsing1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #1526
awirsing1998
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
Not of a completed stand. These pictures show how it will attach to the frame. It takes about a minute to install. The legs shown below are from an XR650L. The legs will be much shorter for the NX.

Once I get a stand completed I will post a couple. I will get a few of the stand on a bike also.

Mike
Nice, I want one
awirsing1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #1527
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Oddometer: 3,432
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of selling my klx, and am desperately trying to get an nx650 to go along with my wife's nx250, if anyone knows of one that might be available that'd be nice!

There was one on the flea market, but the seller decided to keep it

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R

wolfy317 screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 06:25 PM
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #1528
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Tanks a lot

Howday all,

I've got a chance to buy a stock '88/'89 tank (stock US model color) and side panels that are in better shape than the ones that came on my bike.

Any idea as to what is a fair price?

Thanks for your feedback..

Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #1529
burbansk
Exit222

Oddometer: 212
Tank Price Info

For a stock tank no more then $100, If by some miracle you find a high capacity Acerbis tank the sky is the limit. The side panels are hard to find, I bought a nice pair last year for $150. Also check E-Bay in he UK, they seem to have more body parts then we do in the US.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #1530
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 546
Sent you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy317 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of selling my klx, and am desperately trying to get an nx650 to go along with my wife's nx250, if anyone knows of one that might be available that'd be nice!

There was one on the flea market, but the seller decided to keep it
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote