Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #1546
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 522
Anyone here have both an NX650 and an XR650L at their place?
My petcock is a bit leaky on my 88 US model NX and the BRP one looks to be the same or similar, anyone able to confirm that they are interchangeable?

Edit: Actually I did a bodge which seemed to work.
The plate on the front of the tap with the writing is riveted on, I drilled the rivet heads off and used a 3mm drill to drill completely through the body of the tap.
The tap comes apart into the lever and a spring washer and another washer with two tabs.
The rubber ring that has 4 holes was flipped over and everything reinstalled.
No leaks!
Took about 10 mins and cost a couple of 3mm screws.
I will try and post up the pics.

Bounder screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 06:21 AM
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #1547
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,341
Centerstand

April

Mike
Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #1548
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
The center stand seems a little short. Are both tires supposed to be touching the ground? Otherwise, it looks really great.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #1549
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge View Post
The center stand seems a little short. Are both tires supposed to be touching the ground? Otherwise, it looks really great.
Why yes, yes it is.

Just for test fit. The stands will provide about 1 1/4" of ground clearance. there will be more information in the vendors thread below.

Mike
Old 03-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #1550
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
Why yes, yes it is.

Just for test fit. The stands will provide about 1 1/4" of ground clearance. there will be more information in the vendors thread below.

Mike
Just make sure that w/o luggage, the rear wheel is in the air ;) I setup mine too close to the center of weight and can almost balance it on the centerstand (not intended nor useful).
Old 03-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #1551
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
Just make sure that w/o luggage, the rear wheel is in the air ;) I setup mine too close to the center of weight and can almost balance it on the centerstand (not intended nor useful).
I try and get the balance point to where the front is just a little heavy but does not require too much weight to hold the front off the ground. Ideally rocking the bike back on the rear wheel it will stay there. Once you start adding a lot of luggage it is not going to stay on the front wheel when up on the stand. I don't see this as a problem. When my L is loaded with all of the camping gear it will not sit on the front wheel.

This way when you pull the axle on the wheel that you are making the repair on it will stay here easily because you have taken weight off the raised end.

Patrick has no chance the way this is loaded.

http://www.rideafrica4wishes.com/

Most of the stands will allow the bike to sit on the front wheel with about 10-15 pounds behind the seat. Any more and it will not.

Good news is that it takes less than a minute to install the stand. Tighten up one bolt and you are done.

Mike
Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #1552
outback96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
starter switch

I have a '88 that I believe the starter switch on the handle bar. I was told by the local Honda dealership that this switch is bike specific to the '88 and only this bike. However, as I look at the switch for an XR650L it appears to be the same button switch. But the dealership says no. Can anyone confirm this. The price difference is pretty great.

Also, the two smaller leads off the switch that go the brake handle, what do they do?
outback96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #1553
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,741
I believe they are the same switch with different length wires. IIRC, the XRL's wires are longer so they are just fine to use on the NX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback96 View Post
I have a '88 that I believe the starter switch on the handle bar. I was told by the local Honda dealership that this switch is bike specific to the '88 and only this bike. However, as I look at the switch for an XR650L it appears to be the same button switch. But the dealership says no. Can anyone confirm this. The price difference is pretty great.

Also, the two smaller leads off the switch that go the brake handle, what do they do?

Pablo83 screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 04:02 PM
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #1554
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:

Thats the brake light switch if I understand you. Whe you pull the front brake lever the switch activates the brake light.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #1555
outback96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Thats the brake light switch if I understand you. Whe you pull the front brake lever the switch activates the brake light.
My brake light only comes on when the rear brake is engaged. Don't know if something is wrong with my front brake handle, or if its another sign that my starter button switch is gone south.
outback96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #1556
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
For those of you with Hagon shocks, or anyone who has some input, have you been able to adjust the preload on the shock while it is on the bike? I find that the stock air box and exhaust get completely in the way.

I just installed my Hagon shock and can't find a good angle to get the tool in there to adjust it. As well it just seems really hard to turn that adjustment wheel.

Let me know what you have done, as the shock comes from the factory at its softest setting.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #1557
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:
My brake light only comes on when the rear brake is engaged. Don't know if something is wrong with my front brake handle, or if its another sign that my starter button switch is gone south.
Sounds like your switch is kaput.
test it by removing the leads and making a connection between them, the brake light should activate.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #1558
ketsair
the epitome of girly

Oddometer: 14
side panels??

anyone ever tried xr600 or sr650 side panels on an NX650?

i picked up an 89' model, but it has no front fairing or side panels, would like to rig something up for the sides.

any one ever tried anything else for side panels aside from the old ironsides MX look?

anyone have any broken side panels from any somewhat similar bikes they may part with so i can expirament?
ketsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #1559
burbansk
Exit222

Oddometer: 174
Hagon Shock Info

Bluesmudge, I Just put my Hagon on this weekend ( Very nice piece ). I tried to do the same adjustment while of the bike and the whole top of the shock wanted to turn. I have my stock air box on but not my SuperTrapp exhaust yet. After hearing of your problem, I think that I better take the air box off and make all adjustments now. Probably going to crank her down a bit, I am around 220 pounds. Please let me know if you figure any tricks out. Thanks, Bruce.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:35 AM   #1560
Bocephous
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 342
I have a question that may sound stupid to some, but bear with me as I've only had my NX for a few hundred miles. I realize in order to check the valves I have to remove the tank and possibly the "shrouds" on either side of it. How many bolts hold these items on? Are any hidden from view?

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
Bocephous is offline   Reply With Quote