Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 01:09 AM   #1576
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge View Post
The clutch cable has turned out to be too short and I am going to have a to figure out a longer one to use.
Have you tried measuring a cable from the XR650L?
Failing that you can make cables pretty easily with those solder on nipples.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #1577
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Great idea, thanks! I am assuming the connections on both ends of the XRL clutch cable would be the same as ours? The cable would have to be longer, given the lengths of the XRL forks, and I don't need much more slack.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #1578
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
Has anyone replaced the stock airbox with a bolt-on air filter? If so, what did you use? Any of you test the actual airflow? Any problems with this?
I've done this with a K&N filter from an old CanAm bike that I had around the shop. The bike is much louder (even with no exhaust modification), but not obnoxious, and it has noticeably more power.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #1579
ketsair
the epitome of girly

Oddometer: 14
front turn signal bulb

my 89 dommi has a 12v 23w bulb for the front signal, it is discontinued, the closest thing i could find is a 12v 10w that oreilly's had to order, supposed to be in tuesday, will find out if that has enough watts to trip the flasher replay, the 5 watt bulb i stuck in it right now does not.

curious, what have you all used as a replacement without changing the assembly to a BA15 socket?
ketsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #1580
ikkabod
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Has anyone replaced the stock airbox with a bolt-on air filter? If so, what did you use? Any of you test the actual airflow? Any problems with this?
Hi Switch ive changed mine for a universal airpro filter designed for a car, i havent actually measured airflow but ive rejetted the carb to a main of 200, and done daves carb mods to get the mixture as near as poss with only plug chops, and ive got a small k & n on my engine breather now,, i cut down my airbox with the battery holder the only part remaining .

ikkabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #1581
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkabod View Post
Hi Switch ive changed mine for a universal airpro filter designed for a car, i havent actually measured airflow but ive rejetted the carb to a main of 200, and done daves carb mods to get the mixture as near as poss with only plug chops, and ive got a small k & n on my engine breather now,, i cut down my airbox with the battery holder the only part remaining .

Great, thanks for info!

Did you run into any problems? How did you connect the filter to the carb? Did it require extra mounting tabs or anything?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:42 AM   #1582
ikkabod
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Great, thanks for info!

Did you run into any problems? How did you connect the filter to the carb? Did it require extra mounting tabs or anything?
I used the connector from an fmx (the one from the airbox to the carb)which has a bend in it as this moved the filter away from my batterybox, i had to cut the pipe down a little so the filter doesn't fowl my side panel but it fits and works great. As the pipe is very sturdy it didn't require any further assistance in keeping it in place, ive used my bike off road too and its still in place. I'll take some further pictures if you like as its so easy to remove and work on now?
ikkabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:00 AM   #1583
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkabod View Post
I used the connector from an fmx (the one from the airbox to the carb)which has a bend in it as this moved the filter away from my batterybox, i had to cut the pipe down a little so the filter doesn't fowl my side panel but it fits and works great. As the pipe is very sturdy it didn't require any further assistance in keeping it in place, ive used my bike off road too and its still in place. I'll take some further pictures if you like as its so easy to remove and work on now?
Thanks for the detail. The pics are fine as they are. I'll look into this a bit more.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #1584
lamyld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
dominator help

hi guys/fellow advrider...
am from the Philippines and i just want to reach out for help on my NX650...
during my last two rides i encountered the same problem, motor oil seeps out, expels or "vomits" from the airbox and i comes from the air breather separator.
what could be the problem? is it too much oil in the crank case? why does this happen when 1.9li of oil is the only quantity i put in the bike? does my oil fail to return to the chassis compartment?
hope there are answers to my inquiry/problem...
thank you and CHEERS to all...
lamyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #1585
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamyld View Post
hi guys/fellow advrider...
am from the Philippines and i just want to reach out for help on my NX650...
during my last two rides i encountered the same problem, motor oil seeps out, expels or "vomits" from the airbox and i comes from the air breather separator.
what could be the problem? is it too much oil in the crank case? why does this happen when 1.9li of oil is the only quantity i put in the bike? does my oil fail to return to the chassis compartment?
hope there are answers to my inquiry/problem...
thank you and CHEERS to all...
You likely overfilled the motor oil when you last changed it. RFVC single cylinder engines are very sensitive to this. Burping oil back into the airbox is almost always the result of overfilling.
Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #1586
adkfreeridex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
first off, i hope im posting this in the right spot (i tried a search but it said it was too much for the site or something), and dont want to piss anyone off. But, im a super newb, ive ridden a few dirtbikes and a few quads in my life. im 26 years old and entirely mechanically inclined. i just got my motorcycle endorsement today, which means i have 6 months to learn to ride and take my roadtest. i actually plan on taking the class here in utah to learn what i cant teach myself.

anyhow, my main question is this, my roommate is selling an 1988 NX 650. It is in great mechanical shape and runs like a top. After the entire winter of being under a tarp, it fired right up a week ago(i was there for it) after the battery was charged. it has 15000 miles on it. cosmetically, it is a bit dinged up, but in OK shape.

he'll take $800 for it.

First, is this a good bike to start with? Second im pretty sure its a great deal, but need some confirmation from people who know their stuff.

i plan on riding to work on it, as my tacoma gets 18 mpg, and he says the bike is good for 50+. i also love offroading in the truck and exploring southern utah on blm roads (and gnarly stuff) so the bike would be a great way to expand that. the above price also includes a hitch mount, but im not sure my taco can handle it, even though it has aftermarket springs built to hold 400# extra in the bed. the load at the hitch with the class III is rated at 500#, so with bike and rack it might be pushing it, but maybe good enough to drive a few hours south to set up camp.

what do you all thing about this? like i said im a total newb, and dont know any bikers that can steer me in the right way. so im banking on all your advise.

lastly, i can promise you that if i do buy this bike, that i will be a regular here and learn how you guys operate, and function accordingly. I was once a newb on my toyota forum, but now have learned a lot about my truck, work on it myself, know how to search, and dont piss people off. so thanks in advance incase i crossed any boundaries.

Thanks,
bob
adkfreeridex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #1587
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkfreeridex View Post
first off, i hope im posting this in the right spot (i tried a search but it said it was too much for the site or something), and dont want to piss anyone off. But, im a super newb, ive ridden a few dirtbikes and a few quads in my life. im 26 years old and entirely mechanically inclined. i just got my motorcycle endorsement today, which means i have 6 months to learn to ride and take my roadtest. i actually plan on taking the class here in utah to learn what i cant teach myself.

anyhow, my main question is this, my roommate is selling an 1988 NX 650. It is in great mechanical shape and runs like a top. After the entire winter of being under a tarp, it fired right up a week ago(i was there for it) after the battery was charged. it has 15000 miles on it. cosmetically, it is a bit dinged up, but in OK shape.

he'll take $800 for it.

First, is this a good bike to start with? Second im pretty sure its a great deal, but need some confirmation from people who know their stuff.

i plan on riding to work on it, as my tacoma gets 18 mpg, and he says the bike is good for 50+. i also love offroading in the truck and exploring southern utah on blm roads (and gnarly stuff) so the bike would be a great way to expand that. the above price also includes a hitch mount, but im not sure my taco can handle it, even though it has aftermarket springs built to hold 400# extra in the bed. the load at the hitch with the class III is rated at 500#, so with bike and rack it might be pushing it, but maybe good enough to drive a few hours south to set up camp.

what do you all thing about this? like i said im a total newb, and dont know any bikers that can steer me in the right way. so im banking on all your advise.

lastly, i can promise you that if i do buy this bike, that i will be a regular here and learn how you guys operate, and function accordingly. I was once a newb on my toyota forum, but now have learned a lot about my truck, work on it myself, know how to search, and dont piss people off. so thanks in advance incase i crossed any boundaries.

Thanks,
bob
If you know it's mechanically sound, and you are willing to do the upkeep on the bike and learn it, then I would jump at this price. If not, I'm sure someone on here will be begging to know it's location!!

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 AM   #1588
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 658
Quote:

First, is this a good bike to start with?
Thanks,
bob
Bob I am new here as well but have had my US model NX650 since 1998, if the bike is good you're in good luck.
These bikes are good, they basically started the factory supermoto thing off way before anyone knew what a supermoto was. The engine is still in production in other bikes FMX, SLR, XR650L and parts are readily available for the engine.
Fairings and stuff are harder to come by especially in the US, but are still available in Europe as the NX650s were sold until the late 90's over this side of the pond
Its not the end of the world, fairings can be fixed and copied if necessary.
The engine is a torque monster and will do most anything that you ask except sit and 90mph all day.
They are fun to ride and handle well compared to other similar bikes, a set of street legal knobby tyres will make a big difference to it offroad if you feel like doing some offroading.
They are a good machine in my opinion having owned one for the last 13 years

Good luck with it.

HT
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #1589
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:

Thanks,
bob
It sounds like your roommate is giving you about a %50 discount, so yes, I'd say that's a real good deal. Even if the bike breaks on your first ride, you could part it out for much more than you paid.

As mentioned, the body panels are real hard to come by. If you want to do technical trails you may want to consider removing the panels and upgrading the suspension.

Good luck, and welcome
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #1590
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:

he'll take $800 for it.

Welcome, Bob. I recently found a clean, low mileage NX for $1500, which I jumped at. The seller had 3 folks lined up behind me, btw. So even if it's not perfect, $800 is a great deal! Even if you have to buy a new battery, replace the tires, etc. As long as you're tall enough to manage it comfortably, it'd be a good starter bike, just respect the power. And you'll be surprised by how much you learn from the MSF class you've signed up for.

Quote:
the above price also includes a hitch mount, but im not sure my taco can handle it, even though it has aftermarket springs built to hold 400# extra in the bed. the load at the hitch with the class III is rated at 500#, so with bike and rack it might be pushing it, but maybe good enough to drive a few hours south to set up camp.
Hell, I for one wouldn't hesitate to load your NX onto a hitch rated at 500#.

Good Luck,

CR
Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote