User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #196
Carl.Custer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
RE anti seize:
[quote=slacktrack]Don't I know it. Especially when the PO has chewed up a Philips head or two."

[Carl]: Aye must be a characteristic of PO's

I'm still tempted to give some of the less-hot bits a quick overspray of Boeshield just to keep 'em happy for the long run.

[Carl]: Boeshield is great stuff. Stainless steel even better. I've bought a few boxes of stainless screws, bolts, nuts from McMaster Carr to replace the rusted bits on the chassis.

Funny about the Honda V4 thing in your sig...my previous bike was an '84 VF500F, but in California. GMTA or something.

[Carl]: Buddy in Olney and another in Sykesville have VF500F's. Several Maggots in this area www.sabmag.org

Bug me at carl.custer@GMAIL.COM
Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #197
Merle O'Broham
a fine automobile

Oddometer: 1,625
Hi everyone,

I just picked up an '03 V-Strom and it looks like the NX will have to go. Sure, once that I got it set up so nicely. Items that I could take off and sell seperately are:

spare set of wheels, no rust at all, pretty fresh Metzler Karoos with just a few hundred miles on them
Renazco seat, med blue with silver piping/logo
Pro-Duro stainless exhaust, definitely used, but looks great with a little Brasso

I haven't really thought of any prices yet. Any interest? PM me.

"Mom, you better not eat all my chicken."
Merle O'Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #198
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,739
Sumo conversion anyone?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...62#post8301662
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #199
Merle O'Broham
a fine automobile

Some pics of the bike in summer d/s mode here:

Set of wheels in excellent condition with Metzler Karoos mounted, maybe 300 miles on them. Perfect balance, new tubes, rim strips.

Renazco seat ~1 yr old. I paid 340. Blue that matches the oem seat, silver piping and logo. Wider, flatter, easily doubles the "comfort zone" miles.

Laser Pro-Duro exhaust and 2-1 headers. New is like 600. or something ridiculous. Buffs up REALLY nice with some Brasso.

Together all 3 for 500 +shipping?

Gotta keep the Acerbis tank though!

I'd sell the bike with all the goodies plus Wolfman tank bag and JCWbox for 2400. Minus the goodies, I guess 1700. Including my homemade windshield!

26k miles - fresh everything. Bike has been well ridden/lots of little scratches everywhere. Desmogged. +1 pilot +2 main.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #200
Merle O'Broham
a fine automobile

whoops - pic link

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=340304&page=5

Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #201
slacktrack
TORtographer

Oddometer: 200
Now that mine's functional again, my thoughts have turned to making it a bit more liveable. It tends to vibrate my fingertips and toes a little numb if I keep it up around 5k on the tach, although it's almost pleasant below 4k. And while the MRA windshield does add a little bit more coverage, it's not dramatic, and I need to block the gap a bit so it doesn't reflect off the headlight so much.

So - bars? Gel grips? Any experiences with anti-vibration risers (Rox or Grip N Rip)? At 5' 9" I'm thinking I don't need to mess with the bars too much...just a little rise, and a bit more sweep would be nice.

How about bigger dual sport footpegs? Any idea what other bikes' pegs might fit?

TIA.

Maryland Tag-O-Rama Map
slacktrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #202
Carl.Custer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacktrack
Now that mine's functional again, my thoughts have turned to making it a bit more liveable. It tends to vibrate my fingertips and toes a little numb if I keep it up around 5k on the tach, although it's almost pleasant below 4k. And while the MRA windshield does add a little bit more coverage, it's not dramatic, and I need to block the gap a bit so it doesn't reflect off the headlight so much.
[Carl]: MRA windshield
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/1185/285/
Vewy inter-rest-tink. Reasonable price.
Other options would be to flat black the underside of the shield or cut the forward bit off so it doesn't reflect the headlight beam.
FWIW, I cobbled a prototype shield out of sign material to try out.
After putzing with it, I'll make one out of acrylic.

RE vibration. Haven't experienced anything unbearable. And I drove it from Maine; plus, my other bikes are Honda V-4s. I do clip on a Cramp Buster for longer trips.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #203
slacktrack
TORtographer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl.Custer
[Carl]: MRA windshield
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/1185/285/
Vewy inter-rest-tink. Reasonable price.
Other options would be to flat black the underside of the shield or cut the forward bit off so it doesn't reflect the headlight beam.
Yeah, they made the lower portion opaque, but it's still smooth plastic on both sides, and therefore glare central. Brighter than the sickly backlight bulbs in my instrument pod :)

I'm going to see if a bit of strategically-placed gaffer's tape helps.

Thanks for the advice so far Carl. I'm basically a new rider: this is my first thumper, and in any case I haven't owned a bike since, um, around about the time this thing was new. It could be me, it could be something's thrashed, it could be 20-year-old motor mounts...

Maryland Tag-O-Rama Map
slacktrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #204
ElBandito
Amsterdam connection

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithDommirider
Just wondering if there are many of us about ?
Hi @ all I'm new to this great board, got a 95 Domi with a little over 5000 km.
Its like it just came from the dealership.

Wil try to upload some pics on my website a little later on.

Cheers from Amsterdam, Holland
Old 11-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #205
Carl.Custer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBandito
Hi @ all I'm new to this great board, got a 95 Domi with a little over 5000 km.
Its like it just came from the dealership.
Wil try to upload some pics on my website a little later on.
Cheers from Amsterdam, Holland
[Carl]: Humph, a '95.
Yew furriners really rub it in on we-uns 'Mericans
We're jealous of the variety of bikes you all have.
I took a few pictures of Dominators while in Spain/España:
http://picasaweb.google.com/carl.custer/SpainMotos#
Maybe when fuel prices climb again in March, we'll begin seeing a better selection of utilitarian bikes.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #206
educateer
Dommie Rider

Oddometer: 9
Another Dommie Owner

Although I have been riding for over 20 years now the 'Dommie' thing happened to me over the Christmas/New Year period of 1999 (I think). I was watching the Discovery channel really late at night and saw a two part program - Mondo Enduro about a group of Brits that rode around the world on some Suzuki DR350s.

A little research, and a copy of Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook, later and I decided to buy an air-cooled single - the Dominator.

It was 2000 and I think that the model I bought was a 1999 X model. Here it is in 2002 still looking relatively new:

Notice that the white hand guard is cracked as I came off riding home in some freak snow (we don't get a lot here).

Here it is again in 2005 arriving home from work.

The bike has been great and I have used it daily for work for many years, although not every year.

A few years back I saw a big Acerbis tank on eBay and bought it. I never got around to fitting it as I always thought I would do it when I had a few other things to do to the bike.

A few weeks ago the bike was blown over by a really strong gust of wind in the middle of the night. When I came out both of the indicators on the right side were smashed, the side panel was cracked and the handlebars appeared twisted out of alignment. So I ordered some new indicators and a few other goodies and over the holiday season have taken the opportunity to make some of the repairs and improvements (as well as give the bike a bit of a good clean - it doesn't get one often!!).

Here is the bike with the panels and seat stripped off while I replace the indicators. I have also removed the rear number plate holder as I need to repair a touring Scottoiler kit that stopped working about a year ago.

I have also taken the opportunity to try out the Acerbis tank.

I love the mods that other members have posted on this thread. I want to take the bike on a really long overland trip soon as family commitments have prevented me from doing so for many years now.

I have some barkbusters to fit and plan to make some sturdy racks over the coming year. I will post some more pictures when the bike is more complete.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #207
moto-scoot bill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
what kind of racks do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev
I have one also, first year 88.

i have an 88 also, and want to see what is out there for the bike as far as hard case racks, engine guards, ect.
moto-scoot bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #208
moto-scoot bill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Operation: Minty Hippo

BEFORE THE MODS THIS WINTER.
moto-scoot bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:54 AM   #209
furbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Have a 99 with 42K KM's on it.

Daily commuter most of the time, but have ridden over the Sella Group passes and done alotta dirt roads in the dolomites with it as well.

Originally bought it to teach MSF classes with, but has turned into the most versitile bike I've ever owend. Only thing I wich it had as the kick start lever like my old XL600: 2/3 prods, THEN hit the magic button.

Only problem was a dead black box a couple months ago.
furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:05 AM   #210
furbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Pablo,

Quote:
Mine was a runner until late yesterday. I ran up Rampart Range Road, Winding Stairs trail, Hotel Gulch, Manchester Creek, and I hit a big puddle on Signal Butte rd and the engine cut out. I thought it would fire up again when things dried out, but no luck.
Man I'm jealous. Used to live in the Springs from 88-92 (Ft Carson). Had an old Yamaha TT500 I used to ride on the trails above Helen Hunt falls and back to Almagre. Would love to get back there sometime.

Have the same 'wet' issue with my own dommie - a major prob as we just came thru 52 STRAIGHT DAYS OF FRIGGIN RAIN!!! Have started squirting WD (Water Displacement) 40 all over the coil & plug cap - seems to work very well....so far.
furbo is offline   Reply With Quote