Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #211
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by furbo
Pablo,

Man I'm jealous. Used to live in the Springs from 88-92 (Ft Carson). Had an old Yamaha TT500 I used to ride on the trails above Helen Hunt falls and back to Almagre. Would love to get back there sometime.

Have the same 'wet' issue with my own dommie - a major prob as we just came thru 52 STRAIGHT DAYS OF FRIGGIN RAIN!!! Have started squirting WD (Water Displacement) 40 all over the coil & plug cap - seems to work very well....so far.
it turned out to be a loose ground wire on the coil. I could have fixed it on the trail with no problem if I would have found it. I still have some issues with the engine missings at high RPM. I'm replacing the pulse generator to see if that's the issue.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #212
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

I'm parting out an XR650L. Sorry, the electronics are already gone (they've been moved to my NX), but if you want any other XRL parts for you NX, PM me.

I also have an '82 CR480R rear shock with adjustable compression and remote reservoir that should fit the NX. The setup should not interfere with the NX airbox. This shock combined with the XRL front forks would raise the whole bike increasing ground clearance and travel. I have converted my bike to a supermoto, otherwise I would go ahead and add this setup to my current bike. If you are interested in these parts let me know and I'll install the setup on my bike first to insure that everything will fit properly.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #213
John 10:10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Whats it worth?

I found a decent condition all original 5k on the clock, any idea what it's worth?
Support John 10:10's Mongolian orphanage project: http://www.childrensplacemongolia.org/
Suppport Flan8tive's African childrens project: http://www.thefiverandproject.org/
John 10:10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #214
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 10:10
I found a decent condition all original 5k on the clock, any idea what it's worth?
In FL I would say $1800-$2400 considering the milage. That kind of mileage here in CO during the summer would probably be able to get closer to $2700.

NADA and Kelly Blue Book are terrably inacurate with this bike, probably due to it's rarity. NX's usually get prices slightly lower than older XR650Ls, so if you can find used prices on the XRL in your area it should give you a better understanding of what the NX is worth.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #215
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Showing off my shock conversion

I've used an '95 XR200R shock for this conversion. Here's a pics of the two side by side:

Any 1984-on XR200R, or XR250R should be the same (I think). The XR200 (non-"R") will not have a remote reservior.

Both springs came off without special tools, but I had to use a spring compressor to get the NX spring on the XR shock. The XR shock has a spacer below the lower spring seat. I've removed it to give the NX spring more room. It's the large castle nut looking thing sitting on the table:

Here it is installed in my dirty bike. It bolts in with no bracket modification.

The remote reservior line interferes with the airbox. Below is a picture of the gap left with the airbox resting against the remote line. I'm getting rid of the stock airbox, so this won't matter to me. The '82 CR450, or '83 CR480 shocks have a remote reservior line that comes off the side and shouldn't interfere with the airbox, but these shocks are 1-1/4" taller than the NX's, so they will raise the back if they will even fit.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 02-03-2009 at 01:59 PM
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #216
Merle O'Broham
too beaucoup

Oddometer: 1,625
Thanks for sharing!
Merle O'Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:32 AM   #217
Oroku
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Here is my Dommi

Oroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #218
Kobac
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Nice bike
Kobac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #219
Jelf
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Airbox qn

Hey Pablo83,

Nice mod with the rear shock.

Quote:
I'm getting rid of the stock airbox, so this won't matter to me.
Are you fabricating something to replace the airbox, or using a unit from a different bike?
Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #220
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelf
Hey Pablo83,

Nice mod with the rear shock.

Are you fabricating something to replace the airbox, or using a unit from a different bike?
I'm installing a Garrett 1544 turbo on the bike. I'll be making an intake plenum (like an airbox without a filter) from sheet aluminium.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #221
slacktrack
TORtographer

Oddometer: 200
I decided that today would be "slap on the new handlebars" day, so off came the stock bars, and on went a set of no-name fatbar riser adapters and a ProTaper CR Hi Bend Contour, which appear to be about the same rise as stock, with maybe a bit more angle in the pullback, so the only real net change is the height of the adapters.

Now, it gets a bit odd. Everything slips on, but slides around. I've already noticed that the locating nubs are missing from the switches, presumably ground off by a previous owner. And there are no corresponding holes in the bar that came off. It's steel with a crossbar, and I see the end has been stamped with a "CR". Is that original to an NX? Or has a PO already replaced the bars once with a set of old CR bars? I guess that would explain why the dimensions were so similar.

The answer doesn't really matter. What does matter is that nominal 7/8 O.D. tubing isn't really 7/8. The ProTaper measures out at 0.870-0.872, but the Honda bar measures 0.882 plus or minus a thou.

I'm tempted to marginally bulk up the bar by sliding a piece of 1" heatshrink tubing over the relevant areas, which will bump it up to about 0.890, but at least nothing will be loose, although that'll take me a little time to undo the left grip install without trashing the grip. I could just slap on a little strip of tape, but I hate dealing with hardened adhesive down the road. Guess this is gonna take one more hour^H^H^H^H beer than I thought.

Maryland Tag-O-Rama Map
slacktrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #222
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacktrack
I decided that today would be "slap on the new handlebars" day, so off came the stock bars, and on went a set of no-name fatbar riser adapters and a ProTaper CR Hi Bend Contour, which appear to be about the same rise as stock, with maybe a bit more angle in the pullback, so the only real net change is the height of the adapters.

Now, it gets a bit odd. Everything slips on, but slides around. I've already noticed that the locating nubs are missing from the switches, presumably ground off by a previous owner. And there are no corresponding holes in the bar that came off. It's steel with a crossbar, and I see the end has been stamped with a "CR". Is that original to an NX? Or has a PO already replaced the bars once with a set of old CR bars? I guess that would explain why the dimensions were so similar.

The answer doesn't really matter. What does matter is that nominal 7/8 O.D. tubing isn't really 7/8. The ProTaper measures out at 0.870-0.872, but the Honda bar measures 0.882 plus or minus a thou.

I'm tempted to marginally bulk up the bar by sliding a piece of 1" heatshrink tubing over the relevant areas, which will bump it up to about 0.890, but at least nothing will be loose, although that'll take me a little time to undo the left grip install without trashing the grip. I could just slap on a little strip of tape, but I hate dealing with hardened adhesive down the road. Guess this is gonna take one more hour^H^H^H^H beer than I thought.
If the bars don't have the pre-drilled holes they are not stock. I've got a set of TAG fatbars on my NX. I ground off the nubs and everything fits tight. I've fit a few sets of fat bars to various bikes and never had that problem. I like the shrinkwrap idea. Do the lever perches fit tight? Is it just the switches that are loose?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #223
slacktrack
TORtographer

Oddometer: 200
I didn't crank the lever perches down, but they seemed to rest in place pretty snugly so I think it's just the switches.

Decided to tap the bar ends for G2 mounts (in preparation for some Cycras, I hope), so the rest is on hold until I can finish and clean off the WD40 I'm using as tap lube.

Maryland Tag-O-Rama Map
slacktrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #224
Storm_Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
hello, holder Dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
From a great ride report
Greg

it is incredible what he did in the Dominator, and I have one and wanted to change it, because I brought him in a pathetic state after several accidents and onroad May offroad. i am new here and I know not to work too well this site and I apologize for the inconvenience, you can send me the exact rate changes and accurate advice to be able to do so just like his?

thanks
Storm_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #225
Storm_Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
I had one for a couple of months when I was in Europe. I put about 15000km on it. Great bike, my only complaint was its fluid consumption (both oil and gas). I've got a KTM 640A now, which is pretty much the same bike but faster.

Here it is resting on a logging track in Romania:
very loud, you're here in Romania ... I am from Romania