Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #226
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacktrack
I decided that today would be "slap on the new handlebars" day, so off came the stock bars, and on went a set of no-name fatbar riser adapters and a ProTaper CR Hi Bend Contour, which appear to be about the same rise as stock, with maybe a bit more angle in the pullback, so the only real net change is the height of the adapters.

Now, it gets a bit odd. Everything slips on, but slides around. I've already noticed that the locating nubs are missing from the switches, presumably ground off by a previous owner. And there are no corresponding holes in the bar that came off. It's steel with a crossbar, and I see the end has been stamped with a "CR". Is that original to an NX? Or has a PO already replaced the bars once with a set of old CR bars? I guess that would explain why the dimensions were so similar.

The answer doesn't really matter. What does matter is that nominal 7/8 O.D. tubing isn't really 7/8. The ProTaper measures out at 0.870-0.872, but the Honda bar measures 0.882 plus or minus a thou.

I'm tempted to marginally bulk up the bar by sliding a piece of 1" heatshrink tubing over the relevant areas, which will bump it up to about 0.890, but at least nothing will be loose, although that'll take me a little time to undo the left grip install without trashing the grip. I could just slap on a little strip of tape, but I hate dealing with hardened adhesive down the road. Guess this is gonna take one more hour^H^H^H^H beer than I thought.

When I replaced the stock bars on my XR650L with a set of Factory 909 CR hi-bend bars I ran into the same problem with the switches moving around after grinding the knobs off them. My remedy was to cut small slices of an old innertube I had laying and put them under the switches where they grip the bars, then tighten them down. Worked like a charm, the switches are nice and tight and even up close you can't tell that they've got rubber under them ... and having them "rubber mounted" might even make the switches last longer because now they're less susceptible to vibration damage.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #227
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Here is a picture of my 92 Dommie redy to race in the 92 Australian Safari

oops, need to try again!
RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #228
xDownSetx
U WOT M8?

Oddometer: 114
Was just watching The Bourne Ultimatum and saw this pass my screen.
Pretty cool.
Attached Images

xDownSetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #229
pleasetryme
n00b

Oddometer: 2
yep i have a 93 domi in sydney

had a 91 and i have a 93 now, recenty had the motor rebuit 1mm oversize now its a 660 im running a rear sprocket size 41 can wind 4th gear till atleast 140 now so much better on the road, dont like to use 4th gear until im doing 90k or above, hope to meet others in sydney

cheers

Adrian C

honda@nx650.net

yep and i bought that domain

wanna join
pleasetryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #230
KeithDommirider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Hi Adrian
Who rebuilt your motor ?
How much did it cost ?

Have you had anything done to the suspension ? I'm thinking of getting mine stiffened up a bit.

Does anyone know of a centre stand that fits a 1995 model ?
KeithDommirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #231
the_shakes
Going nowhere, slowly...

Oddometer: 3
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDownSetx
Was just watching The Bourne Ultimatum and saw this pass my screen.
Pretty cool.
I could swear someone posted a picture of a matte black NX that looked like that in this thread... I clicked the nx650 link in your sig and realized it was you

Here is mine (on the right) and sospelotudo's on a local ride last month:

the_shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #232
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 990
I havn't got one but bloody hell I'd like one!

Got to get rid of the XR first which I'm a bit loathe to do. Here in Oz it seems you can pick up one for between AU$3000-$5000. Good value.

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #233
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,767
There's some good information in the NX650 Suspension Upgrade? thread if anyone's looking for better shocks.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #234
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

rear spring rate?

Anyone know the rear spring rate?
Old 04-16-2009, 03:52 AM   #235
Kaupo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Oil change intervals

I know this topic has been discussed over and over, but I just came across this suggestion by Valvoline:
http://www.olyslager-lubricants.nl/v...px?sType=44551
They say to change oil every 6000km/3700mi. Lubricants industry has come a long way since 1980s so maybe manufacturers' suggestions (2000mi) can be taken a bit more loosely? Any comments or experiences if anyone has experimented with this, would be appreciated.
Kaupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #236
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle O'Broham
Just a tip- scan ebay UK and ebay worldwide for parts- Honda NX650 Dominator. After $helling out for a rack in the states I found on ebay, one popped up in France for like 8 bucks with no bids.

Can you please provide a link?

I googled "Ebay worldwide" and got a redirect to Ebay UK.

I would love to try and get some Ax-1 cams...but who knew when you google them, nothing comes up?

Google must not like "the little guy" doing business or relating outside what ever their regional preferences are...

either that, or the Nx/ Ax did as bad abroad as it did here...(I know that's not it)

all I want is some cams...
Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #237
bartender
Jack of all trades

Oddometer: 83
Work in progress

Hey everyone, rather new NX650 owner here. Bought an 88 about a month ago, rode it from Chicago to Arkansas for a couple of days and did some trail riding out there, made it back and have been working on building it up to be a serious dual sport for a trip to the west coast this summer. Runs well, though I've had to replace the starter clutch and starter relay switch. I've added 2"Rox risers, Wilburs rear shock and Hyperpro progressive front springs, giving myself an additional 1" travel and a much beefed up ride. Heated grips by way of Oxford Heaterz, Pelican 1550 rear box on the oem rear rack, and a RAM mount for my Garmin Etrex. Bike has a Renazco seat, Acerbis tank, and Produro Laser exhaust with a rejet. Feel like the bike is almost there, just need to figure out how to fit some Tusk Dflex handguards on there now... Pics will be forthcoming.

bartender screwed with this post 04-23-2009 at 09:25 PM
bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #238
KeithDommirider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Sounds good bartender , waiting for the pictures.
KeithDommirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #239
bartender
Jack of all trades

Oddometer: 83
Pics

Knowing that a post without pictures isn't worth much, here's some pics of the bike at it's current state.

bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #240
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Thumb

nice setup