Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #2551
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Yep I heard that the paint is only as good as the foundation. I've filled all the holes and sanded the fairings to perfection, but people I've talked to have all tried to steer me away from painting it myself. Apparently a spray gun is very difficult to get even coats with? The extra fairings I have are so junky anyway, I feel like I should just give it a shot.
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #2552
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstriffler View Post
Yep I heard that the paint is only as good as the foundation. I've filled all the holes and sanded the fairings to perfection, but people I've talked to have all tried to steer me away from painting it myself. Apparently a spray gun is very difficult to get even coats with? The extra fairings I have are so junky anyway, I feel like I should just give it a shot.
Given a choice between 1200 and a few rattle cans, I would get the cans every time.
Practice, sometimes shops sell rattle cans in odd colours cheap.
Buy a few of these and practice on some funny shaped objects so you know how to keep the correct distance from a curved panel.
Generally lots of thin coats work better than thick ones that run.
If you start with primer then the topcoats should be easier when you get to them.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #2553
Skapegoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Given a choice between 1200 and a few rattle cans, I would get the cans every time.
Practice, sometimes shops sell rattle cans in odd colours cheap.
Buy a few of these and practice on some funny shaped objects so you know how to keep the correct distance from a curved panel.
Generally lots of thin coats work better than thick ones that run.
If you start with primer then the topcoats should be easier when you get to them.
I agree with Bounder here and as was mentioned, get the prep 100% PERFECT.
Any small blemish will look 10 times worse while painting.
Are you painting with an air gun or rattle cans?
I would paint with an air gun, for a hell of alot less than 1200$ you could get a compresor, paint and air gun set.

Do a few test runs on old fairings form a breakers.
Prime, paint then lauquer and there are some good youtube tutorials and write ups on this subject.

Keep doing the old fairings until you have them perfect then attempt the actual fairings!
Try on paint them in a warm dry day and store them in a dry warm area to dry.
Then have a drink!
Skapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #2554
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the advice! I priced everything out, and I can do it myself, I only have to buy the gun and the paint. The problem is its winter here in the northeast, but at the paint store they told me even 50 degree weather is acceptable for painting. What surprised me was when I tried to color match the original "Astro Blue Metallic" paint. for 1qt it was $361. Honda dealer had a similar price. Kinda makes me look at the NX in a different way now - I thought it was just basic blue paint! I did like the yellow Camel bikes from the Trophy Cup video, so maybe I'll do it yellow or something else. I'll think of something, but the next few weeks are going to be spent getting those fairings sanded perfect.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #2555
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

If Honda still made the fairings, I def would reconsider painting old ones. But even websites overseas that sell fairings, don't seem to have a complete set in the same color. So even if I bought brand new fairings, I'd still have to paint!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #2556
Skapegoat
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I priced everything out, and I can do it myself, I only have to buy the gun and the paint. The problem is its winter here in the northeast, but at the paint store they told me even 50 degree weather is acceptable for painting. What surprised me was when I tried to color match the original "Astro Blue Metallic" paint. for 1qt it was $361. Honda dealer had a similar price. Kinda makes me look at the NX in a different way now - I thought it was just basic blue paint! I did like the yellow Camel bikes from the Trophy Cup video, so maybe I'll do it yellow or something else. I'll think of something, but the next few weeks are going to be spent getting those fairings sanded perfect.

No prob love that camel job!
Has to be done 100% BLUE FRAME!
Seat in blue too!

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5...natorcamel.jpg
Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #2557
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

I didn't get to the fairings yet, but these are finished.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #2558
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
I didn't get to the fairings yet, but these are finished.

No one has mentioned residue. Please be very aware that you MUST remove all residue from your fingers, hair, dog, etc, anything that has touched those panels will leave an oily residue. Get the proper products to clean it or be very sorry. Good luck.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #2559
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

I had my fairings repainted few years back and Astro Blue was impossible to get here, A very close match and to my eye a nicer colour is Ford Mallard Green metallic.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #2560
Mike the Yank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Spraying is easy, just do thin coats but make sure it looks "wet" as you cover. When it just turns wet it is perfect, the next second you hold the gun too still it runs. hope this make sense. Definitely wipe with a grease, wax remover before hand.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #2561
Mike the Yank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
another one for sale in Aus, Vic on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-Dom...item1c2e08b122
Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #2562
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
I had my fairings repainted few years back and Astro Blue was impossible to get here, A very close match and to my eye a nicer colour is Ford Mallard Green metallic.
I think the metallic green might look really good!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #2563
Skapegoat
Adventurer

Ever since I had bought my dominator I have been mostly just working on it and servicing it.
One if the main problems of running was constant cutting out at idle and a huge flatspot at 2000-3000rpm.
As my exhausts had many holes in them I thought it was lack of back pressure.
After replacing the exhaust the problems still persisted.

I had planned cleaning the carb as the next step, seriously you have to take most of the bike apart just to get at the carb!
The carb actually was very clean itself but the accelerator pump was seized solid.

After the accelerator pump put up a fight I managed to free it, clean it and lube it until the action was perfect.
Took her for a test drive and she drives perfectly!
I forgot to take pics of the carb so here is a pic of disassembly!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #2564
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapegoat View Post

I had planned cleaning the carb as the next step, seriously you have to take most of the bike apart just to get at the carb!
The carb actually was very clean itself but the accelerator pump was seized solid.
Once you loosen the carb, you can take it out the left side with some judicious wiggling.
What was the jetting in the carb?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #2565
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapegoat View Post
No prob love that camel job!
Has to be done 100% BLUE FRAME!
Seat in blue too!

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5...natorcamel.jpg

this looks like it was done as a template...anyone have one so I can play around with color schemes?