ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #2686
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
scrambler66's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstriffler View Post
I recently bought a set of European handguards for the NX. My problem is that the bolts through the front brake lever and the clutch lever aren't long enough to support handguards. I could order the European bolts from cmsnl.com, but it would be $52 with shipping. Is there a better solution for this? The bolt is not a standard type, so I don't think my local hardware stores would have anything like it. Would a standard threaded bolt work? Here's a picture of what I need:



are you obsessed with expensive import parts, or why don't you take the parts from the XR650L ?

Usually I do it the other way around and buy parts in the US, way cheaper than in Europe

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...3-KF0-770.html

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...4-MK5-000.html
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #2687
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: New York
Oddometer: 373
Ah I can't believe I forgot the new XR650L comes with handguards!!!!
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #2688
micknmeld
Always in trouble
 
micknmeld's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Mid North Coast NSW Australia
Oddometer: 67
Anyone here able to tell me the suggested fork oil volume and weight for a 89 Domi?
__________________
XR650R, own one and only then,....... will you understand why we do it.
micknmeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #2689
Skapegoat
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Ireland
Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by micknmeld View Post
Anyone here able to tell me the suggested fork oil volume and weight for a 89 Domi?
As per 88,89 manual 592cc per fork which should give you an air gap of 120mm

Skapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #2690
JSeward
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NZ
Oddometer: 40
First Engine Rebuild

Hi All

I am a nooby, so sorry if I have hijacked the thread. Tell me to sling it if I have !

I am stripping down an old 1988 NX650 to fix a 3rd gear problem. I am pretty much in to the guts, but am a little stuck with the kickstarter spindle. The freeby manual I have doesnt mention the kickstart spindle or how to remove it. Could anyone give me any pointers ?? any advice much appreciated !!!!!.

I have removed the outer circlip (which is shown on the inside on exploded drawings I've seen ?!) but thats about it.

Cheers
J
JSeward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #2691
JSeward
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NZ
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstriffler View Post
I recently bought a set of European handguards for the NX. My problem is that the bolts through the front brake lever and the clutch lever aren't long enough to support handguards. I could order the European bolts from cmsnl.com, but it would be $52 with shipping. Is there a better solution for this? The bolt is not a standard type, so I don't think my local hardware stores would have anything like it. Would a standard threaded bolt work? Here's a picture of what I need:


I have a couple going free if you want them (and I can find them!)
Cheers
J
JSeward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #2692
Timieh
Adventurer
 
Timieh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Nehterlands
Oddometer: 29
He guys,

Got a question for you..


Now I got issues to my Carb jet setting's. When idling sometimes he skips 1 stroke :S
The CO screw is too short.

Sow how to handle this? Bigger main jet and idle jet ? [got now 155 / 48]

Got an 1990 engine block, driving in the Netherlands/Sea level
Got an K&N No modifications on the air box, On the RD08 exhaust system there are about 8 extra holes in each exhaust. Think it wasn't loud enough for the other owner of the bike.

You guys got some tips ?


BTW checked for leaks, can't find anything
__________________
Trying my best words of English. Honda NX 650 RD08 1996 Dominator
Timieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #2693
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: West Cork, Ireland
Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timieh View Post
He guys,

Got a question for you..


Now I got issues to my Carb jet setting's. When idling sometimes he skips 1 stroke :S
The CO screw is too short.

Sow how to handle this? Bigger main jet and idle jet ? [got now 155 / 48]

Got an 1990 engine block, driving in the Netherlands/Sea level
Got an K&N No modifications on the air box, On the RD08 exhaust system there are about 8 extra holes in each exhaust. Think it wasn't loud enough for the other owner of the bike.

You guys got some tips ?


BTW checked for leaks, can't find anything
Have you tried the carb modifications?
Drilling the hole in the slide to 4mm and putting a small washer under the needle.
That helped with my bike.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #2694
CNRED
It'll be OK
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeward View Post
Hi All

I am a nooby, so sorry if I have hijacked the thread. Tell me to sling it if I have !

I am stripping down an old 1988 NX650 to fix a 3rd gear problem. I am pretty much in to the guts, but am a little stuck with the kickstarter spindle. The freeby manual I have doesnt mention the kickstart spindle or how to remove it. Could anyone give me any pointers ?? any advice much appreciated !!!!!.

I have removed the outer circlip (which is shown on the inside on exploded drawings I've seen ?!) but thats about it.

Cheers
J
I'm buiding an 88 as well, not aware of a kick starter on my bike.
__________________
2011 WR250r
2007 BMW f650GS
1988 Honda NX650 - X2
1982 Honda GL1100 - X2
CNRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #2695
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: New York
Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeward View Post
I have a couple going free if you want them (and I can find them!)
Cheers
J

Thanks but I was able to get the bolts from a new XR650L and use them.
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #2696
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: West Cork, Ireland
Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3dl1 View Post
I'm buiding an 88 as well, not aware of a kick starter on my bike.
US models never got a kicker, the ROW models got them up to 1995 IIRC.
Handy to have, If I ever split my cases I'll certainly be fitting one.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #2697
JSeward
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NZ
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
US models never got a kicker, the ROW models got them up to 1995 IIRC.
Handy to have, If I ever split my cases I'll certainly be fitting one.
Yep this is a UK version as far as I can tell. Any idea how it comes out so I can split the case ? I cant see anything holding on from the outside, will it just pull out ??



Cheers

JSeward screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 11:12 AM
JSeward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #2698
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain
 
Honda Scoot's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.E. Ohio
Oddometer: 361
I have compared the bike piece by piece to the parts fiche. Looks like the spoke sets will be the most costly item required even though the OEM sets from Service Honda are less expensive than the Buchanan's?

Here is the first item made for it. Over sized carbon clean out port covers with US Forest Service approved inconel spark arrestor screens. This should allow 30% of what the headers can flow to bypass one chamber of the the stock RD02 cans.

Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #2699
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Scoot View Post
I have compared the bike piece by piece to the parts fiche. Looks like the spoke sets will be the most costly item required even though the OEM sets from Service Honda are less expensive than the Buchanan's?

Here is the first item made for it. Over sized carbon clean out port covers with US Forest Service approved inconel spark arrestor screens. This should allow 30% of what the headers can flow to bypass one chamber of the the stock RD02 cans.

Neat idea
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #2700
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: West Cork, Ireland
Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeward View Post
Yep this is a UK version as far as I can tell. Any idea how it comes out so I can split the case ? I cant see anything holding on from the outside, will it just pull out ??



Cheers
Once the lever is off, the case should just slide over the shaft no?
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014