Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #46
Thor Hiney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
I put the cooler running plug in mine. Didn't notice much difference just a little peace of mind. The K&N filters have an advantage in that with 2 changes of a stock Honda filter you have it paid for and then just clean it after that. Simple economics. I noticed a little more power with mine but it wasn't much over a new clean paper filter.

Dominican SW with Haiti on the side RR
Dominican deal of a lifetime RR
Twilight Vampire tour RR

Confidence is the feeling you have before you really understand the problem.

B.O.G.C.
Thor Hiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #47
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Keef, the blue tank is also an Acerbis, 25 liters for the later RD02s. But some idiots tried to paint it, I found 2 layers of blue and if those tank don't want something, it's being painted. I tried to remove the paint, but couldn't do it. Also, the tank gassed out so much you got nauseous sitting on the bike.

So, sadly, I had to look for an alternative. Bigger tanks for the Domi are awefully hard to come by. So I just fabricated new mounts for my old tank.

Re:K&N; like Thor said, it's cheaper in the long run. Also, I wanted to uncork that poor thumper so I did the whole deal (and removed the secondary air system). I didn't ride her before all the mods, so I don't know the difference. But she does feel very crispy now.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 PM   #48
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
New NX650 owner

Looking for a few parts to complete the restoration of a low mile but neglected 88 NX650

Looking for the 89 rear rack and or parts and source for side mounting racks for Givi type boxes.

Steve

88 NX650
89 XL600V
90 XL600V
90 NT650
90 CB-1
96 NC35
Menasco Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #49
Merle O'Broham
a fine automobile

Oddometer: 1,625
ebay

Just a tip- scan ebay UK and ebay worldwide for parts- Honda NX650 Dominator. After $helling out for a rack in the states I found on ebay, one popped up in France for like 8 bucks with no bids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasco Pirate
Looking for a few parts to complete the restoration of a low mile but neglected 88 NX650

Looking for the 89 rear rack and or parts and source for side mounting racks for Givi type boxes.

Steve

88 NX650
89 XL600V
90 XL600V
90 NT650
90 CB-1
96 NC35

"Mom, you better not eat all my chicken."
Merle O'Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #50
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, Been looking there also!

Steve
Old 11-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #51
Thor Hiney
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate63
bought a 96' dommie about a month ago,23500ks on clock,bit on the heavy side but moter strong and realiable,in the process of getting my shit together for a trip out to birdsvile from brisbane at xmas time for my first noob trip!,any sugestions/hints.
Can you post a pic? I would like to see your rig. What have you got for Bags/luggage etc.?

Twilight Vampire tour RR

B.O.G.C.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:38 AM   #52
trallewatsch58
Steve

Oddometer: 0
Hi there,
I still own my 1990 NX650, modifications: Acerbis tank, lowered seat height, steel brake lines, exhaust valves needed to be done after 29000 km, thats it. As I own a KTM now its mostly used to cummute and if my wife likes to take a ride. She loves it, had the same in blue before the kids.
I bought once a crashed NX 650 and kept the parts I thought I may need, still have them, bike is very relliable. I have a Hepco&Becker rack and nice white 33 Liter Hardboxes for it. Enjoy it, its still one of the best bikes of the sixteen I owned...
Attached Images

trallewatsch58 screwed with this post 11-12-2007 at 02:45 AM
trallewatsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:41 AM   #53
KeithDommirider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Anyone got any pictures of soft panniers on their NX650 ?
I have a 95 model and want to sling some soft panniers on , but I'm worried about stuffing the side plastics and the heat from the pipes.
Any suggestions ?
KeithDommirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #54
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallewatsch58
Hi there,
I still own my 1990 NX650, modifications: Acerbis tank, lowered seat height, steel brake lines, exhaust valves needed to be done after 29000 km, thats it. As I own a KTM now its mostly used to cummute and if my wife likes to take a ride. She loves it, had the same in blue before the kids.
I bought once a crashed NX 650 and kept the parts I thought I may need, still have them, bike is very relliable. I have a Hepco&Becker rack and nice white 33 Liter Hardboxes for it. Enjoy it, its still one of the best bikes of the sixteen I owned...
Would you have the stock rack parts? Any pictures or price for the side rack?

Steve
Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #55
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,015
Great thread guys
I saw one of these in the parking lot where I work shortly after buying my 610 and still think it's one of the coolest bikes around ( I'm a Transalp fan too ). Hope to see some more pics of these beauties here.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 AM   #56
trallewatsch58
Steve

Oddometer: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasco Pirate
Would you have the stock rack parts? Any pictures or price for the side rack?

Steve
The stock top rack is not with these parts any more, sorry. The side rack holder is a Hepco&Becker, I am going to ask my wife if she would want to sell it, as she does not like them to be mounted its a chance. But would you be interested to pay for shipping from Germany to USA?????, I think that would be prohibitive? Pitty we did not write about this some weeks ago, co-worker just flew over last week with boxes of measuring equipment, that would have solved that problem nicely. We may have other jobs in the US coming up....
They are not mounted on the bike anymore, so sorry no actual pictures of it: You can see a picture of the racks in the pdf installation guide on Hepco&Beckers website http://www.hepco-becker.de/anbauanle...50189.0001.pdf the racks form this Company are bomb proof, they held up nicely loaded with up to 20 kg each even on off-road trips (never tried to jump with so much weight, thou). They have a steel plate to deflect the exhaust gasses and a connection behind the license plate holder from side to side for stability. Let me know what you think!

Good luck with the bike. I still love to run my wifes from time to time, its such a good bike for my style of riding. Pitty Honda lost interest in that market.

Stefan

trallewatsch58 screwed with this post 11-13-2007 at 01:59 AM
trallewatsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 AM   #57
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 436
just attached two tank panniers i bought from army surplus and a rear top box made out of light alloy checker plate that was made for underneath a traytop for a truck,fits really well,with a lid thats locks,trying to load an image but struggling[computer dummie!]
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #58
mikeddog
n00b

Oddometer: 5
NX 650 & heated gear

Does any one have any expierience with heated clothing on early, 1988, NX 650/Dominator? Does it produce enough juice? I would like to wear my Gerbing jacket liner and gloves this winter. Thanks
mikeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #59
Thor Hiney
Gnarly Adventurer

Keep working on that photo pirate63. Speaking of pirates I just read the original Treasure Island this last weekend. I had bought it for my daughter, she is a pirate fan. Wow that old adventure book still holds up!!!
I may have posted this pic before of my NX on Mt Rainer in Washington state 9-07. But it still makes me happy maybe it will you to. Wolfman bags. (even on the hot days they never came close to melting. They have a binder on top that lets you pull the top of the bag together away from the pipes a little. I also ordered some clear film that installs with water from Areostitch to protect the paint under the bags. I left it on as it is near invisable.
Attached Images

Twilight Vampire tour RR

B.O.G.C.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #60
mikeddog
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great photo! What brand/model hand guards do you have mounted. You should re-read Life on the Mississippi.
mikeddog is offline   Reply With Quote