User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #751
38thfoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
replacement tanks

Do any other large capacity tanks fit a dommi or will I be searching for a hens teeth acerbis item?

cheers

38thfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #752
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I think I have heard of people using a high capacity tank from a DR650 on the NX, but they weren't using the front fairing. If you want to keep the stock look, you need the Acerbis.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #753
Fatguts McCantRide
On a diet and learning

Oddometer: 540

Finally got around to taking a few photos today. Had a couple of good rides on her now and I love it more every time I get on it! I feel like I've just got my license again, every time I have a spare moment I find myself hopping on for a ride just for the hell of it.

There's a 23L Acerbis tank on ebay Australia right now (no connection), looks like a bike shop selling it so they might send it wherever you are?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #754
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer: 370
First ride of 2010

Hi,
Today I got my '88 NX fired up and went for a ride with my neighbor. We went 30 miles into Denali National Park. On the way home, just hitting the main road i went to pass a car and.....total ignition failure. Like the plug got pulled, the tach dove to zero and it quit. Probably the black box. Had to ride home on the back of Bub's Transalp then we went back with his truck to get the bike. Haven't been stranded on a bike in 15 years. Could've been worse had it happened way out in the Park.

Piston
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #755
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPants
Hi,
Today I got my '88 NX fired up and went for a ride with my neighbor. We went 30 miles into Denali National Park. On the way home, just hitting the main road i went to pass a car and.....total ignition failure. Like the plug got pulled, the tach dove to zero and it quit. Probably the black box. Had to ride home on the back of Bub's Transalp then we went back with his truck to get the bike. Haven't been stranded on a bike in 15 years. Could've been worse had it happened way out in the Park.

Piston
some things to check:

1) fouled plug
2) wiring - this same thing happened to me once. I hiked out of the woods and went back later for the bike. turned out to be a loose coil ground wire. I could have fixed it in 5 minutes if I know what was wrong.
3) pulse generator - common problem on this bike, but it when these go out it's usually not immediate like your bike.
4) CDI
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #756
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatguts McCantRide
There's a 23L Acerbis tank on ebay Australia right now (no connection), looks like a bike shop selling it so they might send it wherever you are?
I went and found it:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Acerbis-Long-Range-Petrol-Tank-Honda-NX650-Dominator_W0QQitemZ250608354377QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a596c044 9#ht_500wt_1182

The seller's details list only Australia as a shipping destination, but one might contact the seller to find out if they'd ship to e.g. a certified PayPal address or something.

The listing is in Australian dollars, but Yahoo has a nifty converter that's up-to-the-day:

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter?u#from=AUD;to=USD;amt=1

Happily, I already have a brand-new Acerbis in black. I just looked this up for anyone else who may want one of these.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #757
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
some things to check:

1) fouled plug
2) wiring - this same thing happened to me once. I hiked out of the woods and went back later for the bike. turned out to be a loose coil ground wire. I could have fixed it in 5 minutes if I know what was wrong.
3) pulse generator - common problem on this bike, but it when these go out it's usually not immediate like your bike.
4) CDI

Where is this "ground coil wire?"
After installing some brand new tires and a new speedometer cable on my NX I took it for a 20 mile ride to make sure everything was doing good. I noticed my dash lights that illuminate the speedo and tach were out but otherwise everything was fantastic.
Next day I hop on my bike, turn the ignition and hit the starter. Nothing
Not a sound. Turns out the ignition is not even turning on the headlight.
Briefly all the electrical stuff worked one of the times I turned the key, but when I hit the starter button I heard a small click and then everything stopped working again.
The battery is giving off a little over 12v. When the ignition is "on" and nothing works the voltage slowly drops when read with a multimeter, so I'm guessing the current is trying to go somewhere.

What could cause this? I had no problems when I was riding it, then next day...nothin!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #758
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge
After installing some brand new tires and a new speedometer cable on my NX I took it for a 20 mile ride to make sure everything was doing good. I noticed my dash lights that illuminate the speedo and tach were out but otherwise everything was fantastic.
Briefly all the electrical stuff worked one of the times I turned the key, but when I hit the starter button I heard a small click and then everything stopped working again.
The battery is giving off a little over 12v. When the ignition is "on" and nothing works the voltage slowly drops when read with a multimeter, so I'm guessing the current is trying to go somewhere.

What could cause this? I had no problems when I was riding it, then next day...nothin!
Sounds like a poor connection at the battery.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #759
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess I should always try the easiest thing first!
Thats exactly was it was, thanks!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #760
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge

the coil is a black plastic-covered cylinder just above the engine. you will have to remove the tank to see it. there are three wires coming out of it, one is the thick spark plug wire, one comes from the CDI and the third is the groud wire that goes to one of the mounting bolts for the coil. Given the other problems you are experiancing, I don't think the ground wire is your issue.

the click is your starter soleniod.

Is the voltage dropping with the meter connected to the battery? If so you have a dead battery.

replace the battery first and make sure it's fully charged. if this stuff continues then you have an issue with your charging circuit (stator, regulator, rectifier, and/or wiring)
Old 04-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #761
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
Mark, if you don't mind, can you take side-by-side pics of the two springs?
Also, can you measure the length on the NX bump stop. The XR shock has about 1" more travel than the NX so it needs a taller bump stop like this one. The XR shock shaft is 14mm.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #762
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger

I got a neighbor with an XR650L That I can swap CDI's, check fuses. Definitely NOT battery connection. I'm not sweating it. Thanks for the input and I'll post the outcome.

Piston
Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #763
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
I got a neighbor with an XR650L That I can swap CDI's, check fuses. Definitely NOT battery connection. I'm not sweating it. Thanks for the input and I'll post the outcome.

Piston
The XRL CDI will not work in the NX. The XRL has a kickstand safty switch, if the kickstand is down and the bike is in gear, the CDI will not provide a spark. This is done with a signal wire to ground. The XRL CDI has six wires going to it, the NX only has five. If you look at the two plugs going into the NX CDI you will see that one wire is missing from one of the pins. You will need to run a ground wire to this pin for the XRL CDI to work on the NX.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #764
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger

I have no sidestand switch. Swapped my cdi out to a 93 XRL which did have sidestand sw to troubleshoot and it fired the XRL. New CDI, back on the road.

Piston
Old 04-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #765
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
I have no sidestand switch. Swapped my cdi out to a 93 XRL which did have sidestand sw to troubleshoot and it fired the XRL. New CDI, back on the road.

Piston
That's weird. I'm using an XRL CDI too, but I had to run a ground to it to get it to work. What year is your NX? How many wires go into your CDI?

[EDIT] There are two plugs to the CDI, a 4-pin and a 2-pin. The 2-pin plug contains the ground wire I'm refering to. The Honda service manual wiring diagram for the NX shows six wires going to the CDI with two going to ground, but my bike only had five wires and the wiring appeared to be unmodified. This caused a lot of confusion when plugged in the XRL CDI and it didn't work. I eventually modified the harness to match the wiring diagram and it worked.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 04-05-2010 at 09:27 PM