Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #766
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer: 370
mine's '88. No modifications, just put the Nx black box in the xrl and she ran.

Piston
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #767
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
Thanks, perfect.
Did you eventually get around to using a plunger for the NX's choke? My new handlebar is simply too high for the choke cable! I'd much rather have an undertank switch than a cable though.

Also, as far as I know, early NX models don't have sidestand sensors. The ones with kickstart, that is.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #768
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch
Did you eventually get around to using a plunger for the NX's choke? My new handlebar is simply too high for the choke cable! I'd much rather have an undertank switch than a cable though.

Also, as far as I know, early NX models don't have sidestand sensors. The ones with kickstart, that is.
Not yet, it's on my to-do list.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #769
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Quote:
Not yet, it's on my to-do list.
If 'an when you get around to it, maybe you could share your experience :) I know I'd appreciate it. Right now, based on your log, I'm looking for an XR shock

So, anyplace to post NX build logs? Churnin' info at this thread makes it a hell to search... I'd love to post some info on dommie tweaks, repairs (mine got quite scratched due to a careless driver) and improvements.

Example:

I'm a bit of an electrics/electronics guy myself. I looked up the dommies power draw.

Quick version: typical draw = 81W, absolute max draw 159W. This includes lights and indicators, without factoring in the CDI or battery charging.

Now replace every indicator/dash light bulb with LED-based bulbs. Replace the taillight with a legal LED-based tail-light (replacing the bulb likely won't do). Replace the headlight bulb with a legal HID kit (in some parts of Europe it's possible) -- might not be legal in the US. Replace turn signals and turn relay with LED-based versions. Result?

Typical draw down to a mere 45-50W and absolute max draw simply halved: 80-85W (add 20W if replacing the standard bulb isn't legal). This actually lets you use a 12V socket for power or lets you add an HID-based projector for better nighttime visibility.

Overall it's much cheaper than modifying the generator and load regulator. I'll probably do that too - but later.

I'll post pics as soon as all items arrive :)

switch screwed with this post 04-06-2010 at 08:16 AM
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #770
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
If 'an when you get around to it, maybe you could share your experience :) I know I'd appreciate it. Right now, based on your log, I'm looking for an XR shock

I need to do a better write-up on that shock mod. As I was stating a few posts back, you need a taller bump stop on the shock. To do this you'll need to remove the rebound clicker knob. It can go back on one of two ways and there doesn't seem to be any sort of indication which way it goes. If you put it on the wrong way the numbers won't be right, so pay real close attention when removing it and mark which way it goes back on.

So, anyplace to post NX build logs? Churnin' info at this thread makes it a hell to search...

All this stuff needs to be cataloged somehow. Even searching my build thread is hell. I plan to reduce my thread into a usable doc when I'm done (if I'm ever done), but there's still much more info on the NX that could stand to be organized. I'm not sure how to address the issue.

I'd love to post some info on dommie tweaks, repairs (mine got quite scratched due to a careless driver) and improvements.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #771
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Ideally we would have a wiki and forum dedicated to the NX650 itself instead of a single thread on ADV. Its not something I have time for right now, but could possibly tackle in the future.

If anyone else has the know-how please go for it.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #772
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge
Ideally we would have a wiki and forum dedicated to the NX650 itself instead of a single thread on ADV. Its not something I have time for right now, but could possibly tackle in the future.

If anyone else has the know-how please go for it.
I'm co-owner of another site:
http://www.dirtridersofcolorado.com

Apparently we have a wiki plugin for the site. We'll get that going and we can start building something there.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #773
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Quote:
I'm co-owner of another site:
http://www.dirtridersofcolorado.com

Apparently we have a wiki plugin for the site. We'll get that going and we can start building something there.
Let us know. I'd love to help out.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #774
McVick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Opinions, Thoughts, Ideas?

I've been a bit perplexed on how to easily and safely carry extra fuel on my '88 NX650. Short of finding a 23L Acerbis tank, which would be ideal, I've tried using MSR bottles but they don't hold much.

I found these RotopaX one gallon containers and my plan is to use two one-gallong gas containers and one one-gallon water container for long remote trips, like the endless roads of Baja!

My plan is to mount the two fuel cans flush against the HB Pannier racks and lay my soft pannier bags over the outside. Then put the water can behind me up against the top box.

Plan B would be to mount one water and one gas can behind me up against the top box. The black strap around the cans in the photos was just to hold them in place for pictures, they actually have a slick mounting bracket to hold them secure in place.

So what do you guys think?
How would you mount them?

Anyone see a hazard in mounting the fuel cans outside of the exhaust as shown in the photos?

Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Regards
Brian

McVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #775
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Don't even think of side-carrying without enforcement. One slip and you'll be spillin' yet gas. Best bet is the 2nd option -- if you don't ride with a pillion that is.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #776
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I had one. I rode one up a rough hill for a less experienced friend back in college and loved the sound and look compared to our dirtbikes. I found a smoking one for the right price back in 99 and rebuilt it. It was a 1988 NX650 and I had it from 99-05 and sold it in '05 because it was starting to miss at higher interstate speeds and I didn't have time to trouble shoot it. I sold it on fleabay, put the plate back on my XR400 and used that for my dual sport/commuter/off-road bike until this last fall. That's when I found a 2006 Buell Ulysses for the right price and use that for my dual sport/commuter now. I had been looking for a deal on a Ulysses since test riding several back in 2006. There is no comparison between the NX and Uly for long trips. The Uly is comfortable, smooth, and not lacking in power, ever. I love the Buell. I liked the NX as a commuter as long as my commute did not include a lot of highway speeds. The XR400 did pretty well as my commuter for the last 4 years (I avoided the highway) and was a much better offroad bike. All said if I could only have one bike, the NX is a good option. I do miss it and it was a great color.

Name:  IMG_0032b2.JPG
Views: 2670
Size:  145.1 KB
My friend Pilo's adventure book
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #777
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by McVick
I don't know about you, but on steep downhills I'm at the back of my seat. I like all the seat room I can get. Could you mount them on the sides of your top bag? That way is you dump the bike it should rest on your side bags instead of your plastic containers.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #778
McVick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Don't even think of side-carrying without enforcement. One slip and you'll be spillin' yet gas. Best bet is the 2nd option -- if you don't ride with a pillion that is.
How would you reinforce the setup for carrying them on the side?
I think it would take a serious slide or a puncture to get through the containers, they seem pretty thick.

Do you think the pannier racks or what they are attached to would need to be reinforced?

Thanks
Brian
Old 04-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #779
McVick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't know about you, but on steep downhills I'm at the back of my seat. I like all the seat room I can get. Could you mount them on the sides of your top bag? That way is you dump the bike it should rest on your side bags instead of your plastic containers.
I agree Paul, I move around in the seat a lot based on conditions. Even standing and moving back could be inhibited by having two containers back there.

I considered placing them on the sides of the top box but I'm concerned it will be awkward.

Here is another idea using a Pelican 1520 case:
Weight of the HB 42L Gobi Top Case is 13.2lb.
Weight of the Pelican 1520 case is 8.3lb but has half the volume, and half the height.

The Pelican case with the fuel cans on top will be the same height as the Gobi top case.

Weight of the setup with an empty Pelican case and two full one gallon gas cans will be just over 20lb. Add the water on the front side and you are pushing 30lb.

Regards,
Brian
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #780
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVick
I've been a bit perplexed on how to easily and safely carry extra fuel on my '88 NX650. Short of finding a 23L Acerbis tank, which would be ideal, I've tried using MSR bottles but they don't hold much.
I have come across two solutions. One requires fab work on your end as it doesn't exist as a turnkey solution.

Solution one: Install engine guards such as the Hepco-Becker units and fab can-carrying cages. Pro: Puts the fuel low and balanced on each side. Cons: Sticking right out there to get trashed in a laydown and must be manually poured into the tank.

Solution two: Purchase a rear rack-mounted kit such as tank #4 on this page: http://www.nomadtanks.com.au/Tanks.php.

Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote