Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #781
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVick
How would you reinforce the setup for carrying them on the side?
I think it would take a serious slide or a puncture to get through the containers, they seem pretty thick.

Do you think the pannier racks or what they are attached to would need to be reinforced?

Thanks
Brian
Picture this: you fall on the side at 40mph. The gas canister rubs against the tarmac. Boom. OR. You fall on rocky terrain, canister gets banged hard. High pressures, jagged edges, pressing against the exhaust can. Puncture possible, melting, booming etc.

I wouldn't do that. Just put them on the back end, like in picture 2. It's not like you'll need that 5 inches; the bike is rear heavy as it is with all the adventure gear and you probably won't play waterfall down a super-steep hill anyway.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #782
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVick
The Pelican case with the fuel cans on top will be the same height as the Gobi top case.
I think this would be best.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #783
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
I need to take the carb off of my NX to clean it, anything to look out for and/or tips to make the job easier? also i am thinking about getting rid of the airbox and replacing it with a Unipod, any pros, cons?
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #784
Mark5PA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,742
Shock & Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
Also, can you measure the length on the NX bump stop. The XR shock has about 1" more travel than the NX so it needs a taller bump stop like this one. The XR shock shaft is 14mm.
Got the spring in the mail today. Unfortunately, my tired old work (and play) HP laptop busted a hinge, and I spent my shop time transferring files to a shiny new box. Specs soon.

Endless Mountains,PA
Mark5PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #785
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn
I need to take the carb off of my NX to clean it, anything to look out for and/or tips to make the job easier? also i am thinking about getting rid of the airbox and replacing it with a Unipod, any pros, cons?
Pros: noticeable power increase
Cons: shallower water crossings

There will also be a noticable sound increase. not enough to piss off your neighbor, but you'll certainly be able to tell the difference.

The only thing different about the NX carb is a mechanism that mechanically raises the slide right off throttle. This mechanisn can get dirty and stop working which will cause the bike to bog slightly right off idle. Just make sure all the components are clean and working right.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #786
McVick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Rear shock/spring on ebay for $45.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8585&viewitem=
McVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #787
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,915
What is the benefit of removing the smog dilly whopper from the side of the engine?
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #788
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John
What is the benefit of removing the smog dilly whopper from the side of the engine?
In my case, the equipment was physically damaged, and the block-off kit was much less expensive than replacing the smog equipment. It has the added benefit of now letting me get to the carb mixture needle from the left side of the engine.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #789
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John
Clean intake gas, sleek looks. Performance-wise I believe the difference is not noticeable. Also prevention of problems related to part failing in a crash.

The NX is very robust and the only parts that can trully end a ride are the smog pump, airbox cover and a severely bent handlebar. You can try riding without the smog pump or airbox cover but you'll be sucking in unfiltered air.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #790
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

This is one of those days when you just take a deep breath.

The O-rings in my chain were disintegrating, causing much slop, some lateral. I purchased a new DID O-ring chain and JT sprockets as a kit. Happily, they came in last night, so I got crackin'.

The first thing I discovered was that Honda's weld was cold for the front mount of the upper chain guard. It simply fell off, and needs to be rewelded now.

Breaking off the old chain was straightforward, but I discovered that the chain guard that wraps around the front of the swingarm was broken. This sucks, because it was brand new. Oh, well, it's only (another) $30.

I thoroughly cleaned the front sprocket area of the engine, and upon installing the JT sprocket 15T front, discovered that one of the tapped holes for the retainer plate was off by just enough to keep the fastener from starting. I tried to drill it a smidge, which resulted in ruined drill bits. I tried hogging it out with a tungsten carbide flute, which resulted in a shiny hole, but not one any bigger. Man, that is some hard steel.

To take my mind off this, I decided to go ahead and install the rear sprocket. I immediately knew I would not (just) be doing that. Can you spot the issue?

Evidently the P.O. slung the chain, shredding the hub all the way into the spokes. God forbid he fix or even disclose this severe safety issue. Much better to put the chain back on and sell to someone without saying anything.

So, at the moment I have a front sproket with a hole in the wrong place, a rear wheel that's ruined, a shredded chain guard, and a broken weld.

Some days are like that, I guess. (sigh)
Old 04-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #791
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Man I know the feeling.
There is some stuff thats fun to fix on a bike and then sometimes you just wish the darn thing was ridable and you could jump on it and throttle away for awhile.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #792
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pros: noticeable power increase
Cons: shallower water crossings

There will also be a noticable sound increase. not enough to piss off your neighbor, but you'll certainly be able to tell the difference.

The only thing different about the NX carb is a mechanism that mechanically raises the slide right off throttle. This mechanisn can get dirty and stop working which will cause the bike to bog slightly right off idle. Just make sure all the components are clean and working right.

Well not planning to do any water crossing with this one, I plan to get rid of the smog can, adapt a NT hawk swingarm to fit, making a motard out of it, also going to try CRF 250 cans on it and see how that goes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #793
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn

Well not planning to do any water crossing with this one, I plan to get rid of the smog can, adapt a NT hawk swingarm to fit, making a motard out of it, also going to try CRF 250 cans on it and see how that goes
please post your NT swingarm conversion.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #794
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
please post your NT swingarm conversion.
Will do, i am now working on my brother's hawk, grafting a R1 tail to the hawk frame the NX is is next on my list
Old 04-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #795
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Thankfully, I have a spare rear wheel, but some of the spokes are bent and the tire on it is old. I'm going to have to swap some spokes and get the good tire moved over.

Sadly, though, I have more work to do. Looks like the chain slapped the crap out of the swingarm pivot, and now it looks like this:

I've pulled the swingarm and will take the opportunity to tap and install a grease jack for the pivot needle bearings.

I did get the front sprocket installed after lightly (very lightly) clearancing the holes in the retainer plate, so one thing did get accomplished today.