Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #841
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauth
Thought this post needed some new blood so here are some pics of my bike.

We never brought these into South Africa so this was what we call a grey import.

Pro-taper bars, hand guards, Custom screen(I built the screen from perspex)

Very sweet looking ride, wish i could get started on my NX project, but i got to do my brother's NT Hawk first.
If i might ask this list, i am thinking of doing a Halo theme on my NX, any suggestion as to what color for the frame, and what kind of camo for the tank and body , i thought about urban digital.
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #842
saberstud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Thought this post needed some new blood so here are some pics of my bike.

We never brought these into South Africa so this was what we call a grey import.

Nice bike! The custome screen looks clean and close to factory. I need to get my NX road ready for the year!
saberstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #843
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDBiker
pablo83 how much was the turbo for your nx650? i tried to find 1 and couldn't. and i would like to know the performance difference with it, if you know.
My install is not complete, but here is the plan... The used GT1455 on ebay was $120. The person I bought it from has no idea what model it was. I made a guess from his pictures and I got lucky. A GT12 would be a better size for the engine, but they are harder to find. I also have some other models that would probably work. If you're interested, I'll post those.

From talking to others the stock XRL crank is known to be good to 68hp so I intend to run boost up to 16 PSI which should provide about that much hp at my elevation (9000 ft). I'm running the stock rod, piston, and valves. I don't know anyone who has tried all stock components with this much hp so we'll see how that goes.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #844
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:

I love the Pro Taper bars and the handguards!!!! I might have to go that route eventually.

I have a question about your "homemade" windscreen. You did a phenomenal job there. I need/want to do the same for my NX project. How did you arrive at the right shape? How did you make the bends? I don't know what perspex is....where did you get it and what did it cost? Are there other materials, readily available at some place like Home Depot, that would be a good choice.
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #845
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Carb Adjustments....

Ok....so I need some help and advice. I live at 7k feet elevation and I am certain I need to rejett the carb. I will be regularly riding to elevations over 10k feet and sometimes over 12k feet.

What is the recommended jetting?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #846
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John
I love the Pro Taper bars and the handguards!!!! I might have to go that route eventually.

I have a question about your "homemade" windscreen. You did a phenomenal job there. I need/want to do the same for my NX project. How did you arrive at the right shape? How did you make the bends? I don't know what perspex is....where did you get it and what did it cost? Are there other materials, readily available at some place like Home Depot, that would be a good choice.

Also...... Here is a response I received......

============================

Hi John Sure, no problem, this is how I did it. - I purchased a piece of perspex from the hardware store. It's about 4mm and it had the plastic on both sides to protect from scratches.- Make a cardboard template and fit it onto your bike. Make the correct bends and actually screw the cardboard template in place to make sure all is correct.- Using the cardboard template, mark the perspex with your template.- Cut the shape out using a jigsaw. Use a fine tooth blade with the speed at the maximum to avoind the perspex from cracking when you cut it.- I sanded the edges nice and smooth using an disk and belt sander.- Now draw a line where your bend needs to be. Place the line piece of perspex on a straight piece of wood and place another piece of wood directly on top of the perspex also in line with your reference line. This will protect the one half of the perspex from getting hot. Note that your bend will then be a little to the one side of your line so you need to compensate by moving your wooded guides over a little (about 5mm away from the line).- Remove the protective plastic from both sides of the perspex.- For this step, grab a beer because you need patience. Using a hot air gun, gently heat the perspex as close to the reference line as possible. Heat the line as evenly as possible so that you get one even bend. You will see when the perspex is hot enough, it will sag. Once it's hot, it's pliable so you can make the bend at the correct angle.- Remove heat and hold the the bend in place until it cools and gets hard again.- Drill your holes using a blunt drill, very low speed and very little downward pressure else the drill bit will bite into the perspex and brake it.- I painted mine on the inside with black paint. This give a high gloss black finish on the outside. It sounds like a lot of work but it's not really. I had mine made in about an hour and a half. Granted, I did two because I wasn't happy with the first one. Don't try use the heat gun once it is fitted, it warps and gets all messed up. Also, mess about with the heating and bending on scrap pieces, it's not an exact science. The correct way to do this is to make a mould and vacume form the screen but private chaps like ourselves don't have that kind of equipment. Good luck, it is well worth it. I am planning on fitting a 2-into-1 exhaust next and fitting an auxillary tank where the left hand muffler was to extend the fuel range. The high rise bars are also a must. CheersBarry
Old 04-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #847
blauth
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Definition of 'Perspex'

Complements Wikipedia:

Thanks for posting my response John, I can't always access advrider from the office network so I had to reply via email.

Poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) is a transparent thermoplastic.
Chemically, it is the synthetic polymer of methyl methacrylate. It is sold under many trade names, including Policril, Plexiglas, Gavrieli, Vitroflex, Limacryl, R-Cast, Per-Clax, Perspex, Plazcryl, Acrylex, Acrylite, Acrylplast, Altuglas, Polycast, Oroglass, Optix and Lucite and is commonly called acrylic glass, simply acrylic, perspex or plexiglas. Acrylic, or acrylic fiber, can also refer to polymers or copolymers containing polyacrylonitrile.

I have one complaint about the screen.....I can't see where I am going when I am on the back wheel.
blauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #848
Bruddaman
Duster

Oddometer: 38
Fyi

There is an NX650 parts bike for sale in the FM(not mine), for anyone who might be in the market. Looks like he has some goodies.
Bruddaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #849
goatroper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
New owner

I sold my NX 650 last night to a new ADV member. (Posted the ad in the morning and it was off to a new home around 6:00 pm.!) He said he joined so that he could buy my bike. He asked if there were folks on ADV who could help out. Naturally, I told him you are all idiots.

Please prove me wrong and send a welcome message to ZEXEL. Thanks
goatroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #850
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 546
So I finally got a chance to go for an extended ride on my NX with engine guards installed. I wasn't very happy that they both affected by riding position (knees bumped up against them) and they transmitted the engine vibrations directly to my legs (not fun on a long ride). It left me riding without my knees up against the tank, which wasn't so bad, but I lost some control in twisty sections and I felt less mobile in my position on the bike in general. I'm wondering if others with the HB engine guards have had the same problem?

I'm thinking of taking them off entirely, and maybe going to some sort of highway peg /cross bar that I've seen installed on lower frame of some XR650Ls. Anyone tried installing one of those on their NX?
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #851
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 546
It looks like these are the highway pegs I am talking about: http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/...spc-0-0-4.aspx
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #852
averagejoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Guys, I am looking for an NX650. If you know of anyone have them contact me please.

edit: Found one...today.

averagejoe screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 07:23 PM
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #853
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John
Ok....so I need some help and advice. I live at 7k feet elevation and I am certain I need to rejett the carb. I will be regularly riding to elevations over 10k feet and sometimes over 12k feet.

What is the recommended jetting?
I saw you did the air injection block-off on your bike. Have you done any other intake or exhaust mods?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #854
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,995
*sigh*

I don't suppose any of you fine folks have an extra rear wheel or some spokes?

85-90 XR600R would work as well. Can't find anything on ADV or eBay right now and ThumperTalk has the classifieds turned off.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #855
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Buchanan's Spoke & Rim can probably make you a set of spokes for around $90. Just make sure they know exactly what the spokes are for. The NX rear wheel has three different sized spokes on it.