Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #1021
Fatguts McCantRide
On a diet and learning

Oddometer: 540
Aaron, that bike of yours is bloody nice mate! I can't remember ever seeing a Dommie in such good nick.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #1022
burbansk
Exit222

Oddometer: 192
Acerbis Tank Info

Hello all, I purchased a Acerbis tank that was damaged ( leaks ) around the tail area ( rear mounting point ). I have sealed up most of the leaks but I am still chasing around a few pin holes. Does any one know what type of plastic they are made of ? Or any ideas on how to seal it. At first we plastic welded the large holes, then used a very expensive " Super Glue " for the smaller holes but I still have a few tiny leaks. Wish I could just pour somthing in it and seal up the tail section. Its still brand new from the group buy and I would hate not to use it. Thanks for any help, my Domi restoration is almost complete.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #1023
Bruddaman
Duster

Oddometer: 38
Leaky Tank

I had an issue with ethanol in the petrol eating holes in the fiberglass tank in my 66' BSA Hornet. The tank sealant that seems to be most widely used in the vintage British bike crowd is Caswells. Here a link for the product I am using but I would give them a call to ask about compatibility before purchasing. Good luck.

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

J P
Bruddaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #1024
mixsetup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi there I have a 97 Model NX 650N. Had it for a few years now. Have a question as I have no manual for it. I'm having a start problem as It hasn't been ridden for a few years so I need to check the Spark Plug. Do you need to empty the oil and remove the fuel tank to do this? Only times I have ever removed a spark plug is when I have done a rebuild of a bike so I did all that anyway but I don't want to rebuild this.
mixsetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #1025
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
The carb very likely needs to be cleaned and the fuel drained after sitting for that long. Spark plugs don't often go bad from sitting, so that would not be my first suspicion.

I don't know about the fuel, but I highly doubt you need to drain the oil in order to change the plug. If it hasn't been changed since the bike was laid up, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the oil and filter anyway.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #1026
mixsetup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for that I'll do that.
mixsetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #1027
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
"A" is a manifold vacuum reference hose. It should be connected from the nipple on engine side of the carb to the air cutoff valve cover (2) on the side of the card.

This is referred to as a "hanging idle". It is most commonly caused by a lean carb condition. This can either be created by lean jetting or by an air leak between the carb and engine. In your case it is being caused by your manifold vacuum line being routed to atmospheric pressure. Fix hose A and the problem will go away.

I am confused......

Should I simply connect "HHH" to "XXX" with a single hose and eliminate the "T"....not having an "A" pig-tail, open to the environment?

Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #1028
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 989
what the Dominator was made for...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5u1RmEyTg
Gian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:06 AM   #1029
jj5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Im thinking about buying a nx650. What kind of aftermarket exhausts are there available since i find the stock exhaust kinda ugly. And apart from look do they happen to add some extra HP? And i see some NX650's have some kind of bigger windscreen bolted on. Are they home made (they all look home made ) or are there aftermarket parts to do this?
jj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #1030
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj5
Im thinking about buying a nx650. What kind of aftermarket exhausts are there available since i find the stock exhaust kinda ugly. And apart from look do they happen to add some extra HP? And i see some NX650's have some kind of bigger windscreen bolted on. Are they home made (they all look home made ) or are there aftermarket parts to do this?
If all you care is aftermarket exhaust and a few extra HP, sounds more like a GSX-R SRAD would be more appropriate.

Regardless, there are some Marving & Laser exhaust system available. Probably add more in terms of sound than in terms of HP. 2-3 at most, with carb. tuning and KN filter - not really noticeable or worth it.

The windscreens are usualy purchased accessories. Givi and MRA make them, usually.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:38 AM   #1031
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John
I am confused......

Should I simply connect "HHH" to "XXX" with a single hose and eliminate the "T"....not having an "A" pig-tail, open to the environment?

If you no longer have the smog crapola, then eliminate or cap off the "T".
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #1032
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
[SIZE=5]
Exactly, or you can cap off "A" as Felmey suggests; I just like making things simpler by eliminating the extra hose parts.

Sorry if I made things confusing earlier. When you labeled the hose as "A" I thought you were referring to the assembly that consists of all three hoses and the T.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #1033
jj5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch
If all you care is aftermarket exhaust and a few extra HP, sounds more like a GSX-R SRAD would be more appropriate.

Regardless, there are some Marving & Laser exhaust system available. Probably add more in terms of sound than in terms of HP. 2-3 at most, with carb. tuning and KN filter - not really noticeable or worth it.

The windscreens are usualy purchased accessories. Givi and MRA make them, usually.
Although the idea off taking a srad off road is very tempting I let that one to someone els.

If have looked around for a while and the dommi seems to be the bang for the buck. I just couldn't find much about the exhaust. Thinking of riding a dommi around europe this summer.
jj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #1034
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,932
Man I love this forum!!!! ADV just rocks!!!! You guys here in the NX thread have been especially helpful. We are finally finished with the project bike and it runs like a dream and looks pretty good as well. Of course, there will be little additions over the months, but can't wait to get this guy up in the mountains, run some twisties and some fire roads.

Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #1035
Snowfreak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Man I love this forum!!!! ADV just rocks!!!! You guys here in the NX thread have been especially helpful. We are finally finished with the project bike and it runs like a dream and looks pretty good as well. Of course, there will be little additions over the months, but can't wait to get this guy up in the mountains, run some twisties and some fire roads.

Big John

The racks look good on the bike, I'm glad they worked out for you

How do you like the NX 650? I'm considering looking at a couple

Motorcycles must be very big and loud and chromed, and must bark and smoke, and you only ride them on Sundays--Dear God that's not what a motorcycle is!!! Erik Buell
Snowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote