Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #1471
MotoMarkus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I have had both KLR650 and NX650 and the NX is better at everything IMHO. For tall and heavy riders the KLR may be better since the NX is quite small.
The KLR may also be better if you're going to travel fully packed in hot climates since it's water cooled.
MotoMarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #1472
burbansk
Exit222

Oddometer: 210
Front Fork Rebuild Question

Hello All, Does anyone know where I can get a fork pipe holder so I can torque the bottom bolt that holds the fork piston. I am putting a XR 250 R set of Front Forks on my NX 650. Or is there any other kind of trick to stop the fork piston from spinning while you torque the bottom bolt. The Honda part number for the tool is 07930-KA50000. Thanks, Bruce
Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #1473
Andrew S
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Bruce-
I have never had my NX forks apart, so I can't say for certain this will work: Many of the forks from this era have a 12 pt "hole" on the inside of the fork rod. I have used a long piece of all-thread rod and two nuts tightened against each other as tools before. This engages 6 of the 12 points to tighten against. If you still have the damper rod out, see if you can find a nut and matching all-thread rod to fit.
Andrew S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #1474
burbansk
Exit222

Great Idea

Andrew, Thats a great idea, the inside of my forks look just as you said. I will give it a try and pass the info along. Thank you, Bruce
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #1475
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Hey, while you have the forks apart...If you have a caliper, could you measure the inside diameter of the fork tubes?
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #1476
Andrew S
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Bruce-
I have a couple nuts welded or brazed to old sockets for a more permanent tool. Use those with a long extension or two to reach down the outer tube. I can loan them out if you need, but again, I'm not positive of the NX damper tube size. I think it is my only bike which hasn't needed fork seals. (knock on wood)

However, for a quick fix, the two nuts and all-thread are much easier.
Andrew S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #1477
McVick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
When I rebuilt my forks I simply placed the fork tube on the table and held it tight while I got the bolt as tight as possible which is plenty to keep fluid from leaking. Then when they were back on the bike I torqued them down to spec.

Also a strap tool should help if you want to do it all on the work bench.

Regards,
Brian
McVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #1478
burbansk
Exit222

Fork Tool

Thanks for all the help guys, I took a 1/2 inch threaded rod and put a inch and a 1/8 nut between two 3/4 inch nuts. Then I ground down the inch and a 1/8 nut to 27mm. I am guessing that is the size of the twelve point down in the fork tube. Cant really tell because I have the forks all back together other than the springs, oil, and caps. Will try it out tonight. Bluesmudge if I can sneek a caliper out of work today I will measure the ID of the tube for you. If all this works then you can swap out a 1988 XR 250 R forks on to a 88 Domi. As for the brake caliper I am going to relocate the upper mounting hole on the caliper bracket and it to should bolt up. The XR forks have a claimed 11 inches of travel as to the NX's 8 inches.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #1479
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbansk View Post
Thanks for all the help guys, I took a 1/2 inch threaded rod and put a inch and a 1/8 nut between two 3/4 inch nuts. Then I ground down the inch and a 1/8 nut to 27mm. I am guessing that is the size of the twelve point down in the fork tube. Cant really tell because I have the forks all back together other than the springs, oil, and caps. Will try it out tonight. Bluesmudge if I can sneek a caliper out of work today I will measure the ID of the tube for you. If all this works then you can swap out a 1988 XR 250 R forks on to a 88 Domi. As for the brake caliper I am going to relocate the upper mounting hole on the caliper bracket and it to should bolt up. The XR forks have a claimed 11 inches of travel as to the NX's 8 inches.
Be careful with brake dive and the XR's plush springs. Pretty bad considering the NX's lack of braking power.

BTW if it fits an 88, it will fit right up to prod year 96 (careful with fairing clearances!); brake caliper might cause issues but is also likely to bolt right on for other (97+) models.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #1480
millahtime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
nx650 buying tips (U.S. 89 model)

hey folks, looks like i'm gonna pull the trigger on an ultra clean 89. anything special to look for? long time biker here so i'm self honest on 20 year old o rings and seals and such. anything at all like the klr's doohickey to watch for?

also, whats the starting drill on these? both cold and hot? i have a 87 XR600R with a h/c piston and that has a particular drill i have to follow, but what about this e start bike?

also my xr is just holding down the floor these days? anything special if i want to rob parts? i guess my resprung shock won't fit, but i've got a few hundred in the forks. will my ims pegs transfer over?

thx in advance!
millahtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #1481
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by millahtime View Post
hey folks, looks like i'm gonna pull the trigger on an ultra clean 89. anything special to look for? long time biker here so i'm self honest on 20 year old o rings and seals and such. anything at all like the klr's doohickey to watch for?
Body panels are impossible to find. Look over all of them very closely and be aware than any existing damage will have to be repaired, not replaced.

Check the countershaft sprocket for excessive play. It should slide in and out a bit, but not be excessively wobbly. If it is wobbly then the countershaft will need to be replaced (a very big expensive job).

Any other NX specific problems (bad pulse generator, clogged carb, or valves out of adjustment) will show up when you ride it. If the bike runs smooth, these are not issues.

Otherwise you're just looking for normal things: Is it hard to start? Does it smoke? Does it shift smooth? Do all the lights and switches work? Look for rust, frame cracks, dented exhaust, and leaky fork seals.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 05-31-2011 at 11:28 AM
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #1482
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
also, whats the starting drill on these? both cold and hot? i have a 87 XR600R with a h/c piston and that has a particular drill i have to follow, but what about this e start bike?
Step 1: turn on the gas.
Step 2: if the engine's cold, pull the choke; if not, don't.
Step 3: push the start button.

These bikes start quickly and easily with no special procedures required. If it doesn't start almost immediately then the carb should be cleaned and readjusted.

Quote:
also my xr is just holding down the floor these days? anything special if i want to rob parts?
I can't remember if it was 87 or 88 that Honda redid the XRR engine. If yours is the more recent XRR then you can put your kickstart assembly on the NX. Your close-ratio tranny will fit in too, although most people prefer the NX's tranny. Both of these require splitting the cases

Quote:
i guess my resprung shock won't fit
right you are

Quote:
, but i've got a few hundred in the forks.
The forks would not take too much effort to put on the NX, but it would raise the front end by about 2" which would mess with your bike's geometry

Quote:
will my ims pegs transfer over?
Doubt it, but this would be a real easy mod to try out. Let us know if it works (or doesn't)
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #1483
willwombat64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
newbie Dommie owner needing advice please

Hi Guys
Billyboy here down in devon (uk). Picked up a 2001 dommie NX650X 6 weeks ago and whilst checking through the bike a number of questions are beginning to surface that I'm hoping someone can advise me on. This'll probably be the start of many and if you see the same appearing over on XRV.org etc then forgive me for casting my net a bit wider!
Anyhow.. I have acquired an original shop manual (although for the 88/89 models ) and also have the addendum printed in 1997 which I presumed would give me some info re data that may be different for my model RD08 . There's not a lot in the addendum to be honest but I did notice that it says the valve clearance on the exhaust is 0.1mm rather than the previous .12 .
Is this correct as I also have an XR650L manual which I believe uses the same engine and in there once again the clearance is given to be 0.12 .
If someone could clarify this I'd appreciate it .
To be honest I do wonder whether these manuals are generally spot on because i also noticed that in the 88/89 manual it states that the cylinder compression when new is 178 psi but in both the 97 addendum and the 650L data it says 92psi .....surely one of these must be a misprint and i'm presuming it's the 178?
thanks in advance for your views/advice/help
speak soon
Bill

willwombat64 screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 04:40 AM
willwombat64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #1484
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
I can't remember if it was 87 or 88 that Honda redid the XRR engine. If yours is the more recent XRR then you can put your kickstart assembly on the NX. Your close-ratio tranny will fit in too, although most people prefer the NX's tranny. Both of these require splitting the cases
The XR600 got a makeover for the '88 model year. Engine-wise, this was the introduction of single-carb induction, a divided-primary exhaust header much like the NX650's, and a Nikasil-plated all-aluminum cylinder. I'm pretty sure that any kickstart-related parts from any RFVC 500/600 can be installed in the NX engine. Using an '83-90 countershaft will keep the six-spline sprocket if that matters.

I'm curious as to what it would be like having an XR600 gearbox with the NX650 second gear ratio. The one-two split isn't exactly wide to begin with, but sometimes I find myself rowing back-and-forth between them on occasion.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #1485
madart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
At first HI FELLOW TRIBESMAN!
It's my first post here, but I've been lurking for two years now
My question to willwombat64
Can you scan this addendum - I've never seen or heard of somethig like this and I'm extremely curious about this because my bike is from '98 and is very different from japanise models.

And now my bike

When bought, it look like that:

But lately I tested it harsh against local woods

And me a bit tired

madart screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 12:33 PM
madart is offline   Reply With Quote