Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM   #1
HanShotFirst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Need to learn about shocks

Hey ya'll,

I have my daughters '99 XT225, and I have a Kawi KLX650; both need rear shock rebuilds. Not only have I never done it, I really don't know squat about shocks. The shock on my KLX has a gas reservoir that's hose clamped to the frame, with a hose that goes to the shock(gas reservoir has a Showa sticker on it). I don't know much about the shock on the XT.

Anyone have a link to a reference/learning material on shocks? I'm assuming it's just, take apart, replace the seals, fill with oil. On the gas shock, they are supposed to have nitrogen, but I see people putting air in them all the time; what's up with that?

Any help would be appreciated.
HanShotFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #2
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,308
Most Japanese OE rear shocks are not rebuildable, but if they have flats for a wrench then may be. It's not a terribly complex process, but you do need some special tools. It's just a matter of disassembly, draining the oil, setting the floating piston depth if they have one, and adding oil and then nitrogen. Nitrogen under 200-300 psi pressure is used because it is thermally stable, won't aerate the oil, and adds some preload to the damper.

matey peeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM   #3
Hybridchemistry

Oddometer: 193
Well, gee, I'd trade you a stock KLX650 rear shock with about 20k miles on it for that silly old thing you have there...
Hybridchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM   #4
HanShotFirst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridchemistry View Post
Well, gee, I'd trade you a stock KLX650 rear shock with about 20k miles on it for that silly old thing you have there...
I'm pretty sure the shock I have on my KLX isn't stock. I need to get in there to figure out what it is, but I have my ZZR up on the bench right now, and I have a bad knee and don't want to crawl around on the ground (basically, I'm not willing to endure pain to find out what shock it is). It's a Showa with a gas reservoir, that's all I know right now. The gas reservior is hose clamped to the frame, so I'm sure that's not factory. It's dead though, no dampening at all when I ride. And I'm pretty sure it's going to need a larger spring. I have the pre-load set all the way up, and I still compress the spring a good 40-50% when I sit on the bike (I weigh 235). So some real work will be needed on this shock, or I'm going to need a whole new one.
HanShotFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM   #5
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanShotFirst View Post
I'm pretty sure the shock I have on my KLX isn't stock. I need to get in there to figure out what it is, but I have my ZZR up on the bench right now, and I have a bad knee and don't want to crawl around on the ground (basically, I'm not willing to endure pain to find out what shock it is). It's a Showa with a gas reservoir, that's all I know right now. The gas reservior is hose clamped to the frame, so I'm sure that's not factory. It's dead though, no dampening at all when I ride. And I'm pretty sure it's going to need a larger spring. I have the pre-load set all the way up, and I still compress the spring a good 40-50% when I sit on the bike (I weigh 235). So some real work will be needed on this shock, or I'm going to need a whole new one.
Pics?
matey peeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #6
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I'd figure out what shocks you have first and google it to death to see if you can find a rebuild how-to.

I just rebuilt a DRZ rear shock using this walk-through: http://idriders.com/proflex/files/shock%20service.pdf
If you have a Showa or KYB it sounds like that procedure will get you there.

I had the shock recharged with nitrogen after checking function with air. It was a PITA and I prob paid too much to have it charged but you may have more options depending on your location. I considered going with air but I work the suspension pretty hard and didn't want to have to worry about screwing something up.
32x20 is online now   Reply With Quote