User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2007, 06:20 AM   #16
crooked roads
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
A Girl welder

No tricks from her but, was fun to have as a helper.
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #17
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
Don't throw out that old baking sheet or cooking pot from the kitchen.

They make excllent trays to disassemble stuff in to catch little parts falling off and to keep fasteners from wandering off the edge of the workbench as you keep working.

And they make nice durable parts cleaning containers. I keep several shapes & sizes handy along with a huge collection of cleaning brushes. Lots less wasted solvent.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #18
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked roads
Girl Welder:

No tricks from her but, was fun to have as a helper.
just make sure she can handle the Stick,, no wire for me

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #19
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
Don't throw out that old baking sheet or cooking pot from the kitchen.

They make excllent trays to disassemble stuff in to catch little parts falling off and to keep fasteners from wandering off the edge of the workbench as you keep working.

And they make nice durable parts cleaning containers. I keep several shapes & sizes handy along with a huge collection of cleaning brushes. Lots less wasted solvent.
I hit up the dollar store and purchased 10 of them for various jobs like valve adjusts to catch oil, and parts.

I also use the backside of a 13/16" spark plug socket for front tire axle removal on my R1200GS. I just trimmed it off, but you can use it either way.

I've got lots of these ideas.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #20
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
The bucket system

I used to be extremely disorganized around the shop and house. You know the drill, you need something simple like say, a piece of 100 grit emery cloth to do a job. You spend 15 minutes looking in the garage, house, and basement but can't find any. S you waste 45 minutes running to the store and while there, you grab three packs of sandpaper so you're sure to have it for next time. A few days later, you're wasting more time looking for some other item when you run across three OTHER packs of sandpaper you ran out for 6 months ago when you couldn't find any then as well This happened one time too many so I came up with the Bucket System.

I went out and found a bunch of 5 gallon buckets, a big marker, and some heavy shelving. The buckets are labeled according to the contents and the items are just tossed into the appropriate bucket. If the bucket starts to overflow, the items are split into sub categories and a new bucket is labeled for that and zip tied to it's parent bucket.

Some of my buckets:

Oil filters/ crush washers
Fuses/electrical switches/misc 12 volt wiring
Gaskets
Penetrating oils and spray solvents
Abrasives/sandpaper
Air filters
Brackets/misc hardware
Hose/hose clamps/tubing/tubing connectors
AC switches and outlets/wire nuts/AC circuit breakers
Copper plumbing supplies
Plastic plumbing supplies
Screws (separated by small coffee cans)
Nails (also separated)
Saw blades
Auto cleaning supplies
Etc.....

I have about 75 buckets organizing stuff that was laying about or stuffed into overfilled shelves. I'm not worried about organizing the stuff in the buckets themselves because all I have to do is dump it out and sort through to see if what I need is in stock. If I do have to run out, I usually buy extras for the future, and in the bucket they go. At least I know it's not a wasted trip and I don't already have the item somewhere. More often than not, I'll have the item I need and that saves an hour of searching and going to the store. The system works well for motorcycle supplies, automotive supplies, shop stuff, tools, and home improvement stuff . If you find something laying around with no home, just toss it into it's apropriate bucket or make a new one for it. By doing this, my workspace has been getting cleaner and cleaner rather than getting less and less organized. I can't count how many trips I've saved and the projects I do seem to take far less time

A friend made a great improvement on this idea by making two rows of shelving around the entire perimeter of his shop up near the ceiling. He puts the buckets in rows, labels facing out so he can locate the bucket he wants by just glancing around. This freed up a ton of space in his garage because the couple of feet up near the ceiling is pretty useless anyhow.

I like to keep spares on hand because I never know when I'll get a bit of extra time to wrench. With that in mind, when I find that I only have one more oil filter (or whatever), I'll order three more, well before I need them. Using the bucket system, it's easy to see what you have and what you need to stock up on. I keep a clipboard with a running list of needed parts so that when I run out somewhere or place an internet order, it's just a matter of grabbing the clipboard and picking the parts. That has also saved alot of wasted trips.

Separate from that tip, it's also a great idea to have a phone in the garage with emergency numbers and vendor phone numbers. Having the phone outside saves alot of greasy trips into the house for phone calls and keeps the mess outside where it belongs

Chris

KLboxeR screwed with this post 08-01-2007 at 07:21 PM
KLboxeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #21
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Thumb Cool thread.

ANother twist on the cardboard outline and bolt trick.

I use zip-loc bags that you can write on to organize big jobs. Ill install small parts and fasteners in the bags and label them, then in a plastic tote they go, along with what ever large parts will fit. When you done working, throw on the lid and set the tote aside and your guaranteed not to be missing anything when you get back to your project

Some decent small guage stiff wire works awesome to pull wires in/out of small spaces. Wind the wire around the harness being removed and pull it through and the mechanics wire will follow, then you can reverse the procedure when re-assembling.

Those that dont have air compressors, a bicycle pump and your favorite air pressure guage can be used to top-off tire pressure before your ride.

Before ya remove a rusty fastener, soak it in penetrant (duh) then give it a good couple of raps with a drift punch and hammer. This will help break down the rust crystals and make rusty KLR bolts easier to remove

Aero-Kroil. Best penatrant on the planet. Was introduced to this at the exoctic car dealer I worked at. I always have some on hand.

Ill think of more later.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #22
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553
I put wheel bearing grease on case gaskets. Or any felt or paper gaskets for that matter. It...

A) Holds the gasket in place as you assemble the parts.
B) Provides a better seal.
C) Prevents the gasket from ripping off next time the part comes off.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #23
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,601
Changing tires? But the tire in the car/truck widows up and in the sun for about 30 minutes. The elevated temps will make that tire far more pliable and let it slide onto the rim like it was made of silly putty!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #24
Crush
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020
every time I remove a bolt or set a torque, I write the info or size on the bike with a sharpie on or near that area.
A sharpie trick.....sharpie erases sharpie. Put a sharpie mark over the old sharpie mark and quickly wipe it off, works great!

YMMV, Dennis
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #25
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,295
I don't even have a shed, but I like these tips!
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #26
sharkey
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
Building on the cardboard idea, If you've got a beloved scoot you're forever pulling the side covers off, grab a bit of chipboard and drill holes for those sidecover bolts ... and any bolts you have to remove to get to them (eg: brake pedal, gear lever). Make the bits of chipboard the right size to sit over those old baking trays :-). Makes reassembly very quick and doesn't leave cardboard fur in the threads. Also, keep a clean rag wetted with kerosene or WD40 handy and wipe each bolts threads off before you put them away.

This New Years Eve, save one of those plastic corks you get in cheap champagne. Drill a hole in the end and install a valve stem. Now, to install or remove a handgrip, insert the cork in the opposite handlebar end, hold your hand over the end you're removing and inflate with the valve stem. The air pressure makes the grip expand and slide on and off easily.

-----sharks
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #27
lightsorce OP
Inner Banks Swamp Rider

Oddometer: 220
Laugh Battery Fill

Get a ketchup/mustard squirt bottle set from the local Dollar Store and use your favorite color as a distilled water dispenser for your bikes battery.
(I've used them for squirting non petroleum degreaser in nooks an crannies too.) I label the distilled water bottle with a Sharpie and only use it for batteries.
lightsorce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:32 AM   #28
praetorian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Not a trick so much as a "MUST HAVE" for working on the bikes at bike level. You can find these little ones all over, but this one also has a built in cooler that hangs under the seat for keeping your favorite frosty beverage close at hand.

praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #29
duckbill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I have many so called tricks but here is one that can be used in the garage then rolled up and taken to the track. Check sale clearance bins at your local Depot store for indoor / outdoor carpet. Keeps the dust down and parts don't bounce when they are dropped. A little easier on the knees as well.

duckbill screwed with this post 08-04-2007 at 07:03 AM
duckbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #30
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Get a good set of 1/4" drive metric sockets and extensions. Include wobbly socket and extensions and hand driver. They seem to fit everywhere.
If you buy free standing shelves or build them try outing them on wheels. This helps if you have a small garage (Like I do.) plus it’s easier to move when you move. Just use clear wrapping plastic to keep it closed when you’re changing addresses
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
RXV_Poor is offline   Reply With Quote