Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #751
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
They can be had cheaply and it enables me to run 4 lights on the exterior of my home for the cost of one incandescent. Mercury is good for you! The government just knows that if we all had balls of it to play with, we wouldn't get any work done.

Side note - I have IE spell running and it wants to change your screen name to "Cambodian". Just thought that was funny for some reason.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #752
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
More than a slight savings. The equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent in lumens draws only 23 watts.

LEDs are even more efficient, and once they get the price down, they'll obsolete CFLs. I have LED yard lighting that replaces four 100 watt incandescent floods and draws only about 30 watts.
Yet, they cost a lot more to start with, and indications are starting to show they do not last all that long. Often less than a standard bulb. Add the environmental costs, and what do you have?

Yes, I know you save a few pennies here and there, in utility bills, but I am willing to bet that wont be the case long term.

Jim
Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #753
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
PS I use them in my video lighting systems because they do not put out much heat.
For video production? Or video backlighting?

This almost qualifies as a shop-trick. Someone might find it interesting.

I have little 6500K (K is for Kelvin... not thou) compact florescent mounted inside of two sections of 24oz beer can dimmly illuminating the wall behind my 50in HDTV. Sounds like overkill or needlessly esoteric, but the concept was discussed on a few video boards and it made enough rational sense to me to give it a whirl. Super easy to try so why not? Took less than an hour to make and install. And yeah, in this case an incandescent would be waaaaaay too hot in such confines.

My version has two sections of 24oz alum can with the bulb mounted within. One can half is rigidly mounted to the socket base. The other half slides up and down over the first half and each has a mating section of slot/aperture (approx 2 inch wide). Cans are sprayed flat black. The slot/aperture points at the wall directly in the center of and behind the set. Sliding the halves opens or closes the aperture to set the light level precisely according to your preference over time. Depends somewhat on the brightness of your TV screen, the white level of your wall paint, the lumen rating of your brand of compact fluorescent, etc. My aperture ended up being about 3/4 open (approx 3/4 x 2 inches).

Once the right level is reached I swear it's addictive. The HDTV sits about 12 inches from a large white wall. The backlighting feathers/fades off imperceptibly away from the screen edges. It makes viewing much easier on the eyes and somewhat tricks the eye/brain into believing that the actual viewing area of the screen is far larger than 50 inches. It has to be 5600K to 6500k "daylight" ... lower "heat" below 6500K introduces yellows and higher than 6500K introduces blues. The wall should be as close to pure white as possible though that shade is not critical as long as it's colorless.

After living with it for a year now everybody in the family insists on having it on all the time. If someone forgets to turn the light on when the tv goes on it's immediately evident (just looks "wrong") and it gets plugged in. Next thing I need to do is find an inexpensive "smart strip" multiple outlet that will turn the back-lighting on when the TV is remotely turned on.

svejkovat screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 10:47 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #754
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post

Next thing I need to do is find an inexpensive "smart strip" multiple outlet that will turn the back-lighting on when the TV is remotely turned on.

The Clapper!!

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #755
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
The Clapper!!
Too damn funny. I picked one up for a quarter at a garage sale a few months ago with exactly that idea in mind. More for giggles than anything else. Even if it did end up working I couldn't seriously imagine using it without feeling like an idiot.

Turned out that at any reasonable listening level the television's audio cycled it on and off. I got waaaay more than my 25 cents worth of laughs from the family though.
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #756
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post
For video production? Or video backlighting?

This almost qualifies as a shop-trick. Someone might find it interesting.
I use something like this:

Mine are a bit nicer, and a kit of three.

Jim
Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #757
EvoLife
Evolving.....Slowly

Oddometer: 885
Most people also don't consider the environmental impact of manufacturing CFL's in addition to the increased consumer cost, over stated life span, and increased environmental impact of disposal. They also are not suited to most household uses. CFL's degrade with cycle life much faster than burn time meaning the more you turn them on and off the less life you will get out of them. If you turn them on and leave them on for long periods, like the typical application for regular florescent fixtures, they last longer.

It really is a consumer product that shouldn't be one, like the combination smoke and CO detector/alarm. It's only a good idea to the people that sell them and a bad idea to the people who know how they work.

"Today I'm younger than I'm ever going to be, and I intend to act like it"
EvoLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #758
TomServo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat90 View Post
That napa stuff is great. It eats through the bottom of the can in about a year for me though.
Just happened to me. What's the best way to clean it up? It's been "drying" for 3 days and still stinks in the garage.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #759
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Yet, they cost a lot more to start with, and indications are starting to show they do not last all that long. Often less than a standard bulb. Add the environmental costs, and what do you have?

I'm with you on that, also funny colors in the lights still (some are better now)

Weird buzzing/flickering at a very high frequency, my mother gets migraines when she reads under one.

I've had two bulk packs of these bulbs have about 10% duds in them. Which would not light or would flicker. The store will exchange them for you, but that's just more of the stuff going into the "recycling" system.

Which by the way, isn't where most people dispose of these bulbs. I want to see the numbers in terms of % of these bulbs sold that are now in a garbage dump.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #760
Super Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I've made a few acoustic guitars, and a trick for applying spray finish to the top without getting it inside the soundhole is to put a balloon slightly inside the guitar and then blow it up until it seals the soundhole. I used the same trick last time I painted a gas tank. Quick and easy with no taping. When you're done, just pop the balloon.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #761
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Yes, I know you save a few pennies here and there, in utility bills, but I am willing to bet that wont be the case long term.

Jim

Plus the light is awful. Dead, colorless pale sterilized light that's still hard to see in. ugh.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #762
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,361
I get excellent lifespan from the CFLs that Home Depot sells. I've lost three in five years, and two of them were in the bathroom fixture, which is cycled multiple times per day. And the "warm white" color (2700K?) bears a strong resemblance to incandescent. The only downside so far is the warmup time, but they're at full brightness in about 90 seconds.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #763
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

My CFL Lights!

Jim
Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #764
Voltar
Jr Asst Road Captain

Oddometer: 1,647
Thanks, Jim. Now, back on track....

If you have a phillips heads screw that you feel is not going to remove easily, put a little valve lap compound on the phillips head screwdriver. The valve lap compound helps add some "bite" to help keep the head from stripping.

I guess it works with torx head, etc as well.

My projects and stuff:
http://www.whiskeytangohotel.com/
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #765
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,214
Best shop tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsorce View Post
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I know you guys have some really good shop tricks that I could use so give 'em up!!!

One of mine is to use an old Tupperware lid as a shield between the chain and the rear tire when I spray the chain lube on.