User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
silverbandit1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
NOOB - DR650 Oil Change Question

I just changed the oil on my DR650, manual says 2300ml w/o the oil filter or 2400 with. I removed the oil filler cap, drain plug and let it drain for at least 5 min. also tilted it off the side stand to get all the oil out & changed the filter. I added 2300 ml and started the bike (idle only) and rechecked after a minute and was like the site glass was completely full. Had my son and wife both hold the bike up to be sure it was level and I ended up having to remove 350 ml of oil. So where did the extra oil come from?
silverbandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
The manual gives oil capacity. I usually fill until I think I'm close and then check the glass. You can fill to the top fill mark (check it when the bike is level) and then start the motor...the level should be right in the middle. I can't say exactly how much oil I use because I just eyeball it when I get close.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Bremsstrahlung
Reformed Pod Person

Oddometer: 73
yep... I had the EXACT same issue when I did the first oil change on my new DR last week. Brought it home from the dealer and did an oil/filter change with 43 miles on the odo. I was going to post the same question, but never got around to it. I guess the manual is just mis-printed.. but that didn't make sense since the manual must be the same for the last 10 years, and SOMEBODY would have corrected it by now.
Anyway, I did the same as you, saw the level over the window before I started it up but just figured it would right itself after circulation, started it up and got foam/bubbles in the oil window --- usually a sign of over filling. I had to drain alot of oil out as well to get things right.
Next oil/filter will be for the 600 mile service at the dealer, so I won't know what the right amount is untill I change it myself after that.
Bremsstrahlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,525
Same thing happened here. I over-filled on my first oil change. I put in new oil according to the manual (and a filter) and it was way over full and I had to drain out the excess.
Second oil change I filled it to the top line, started the bike for a minute to let it circulate, then topped it off. I'm not exactly sure how much it took, somewhere around 2 liters, but not the 2.3L that the manual calls for.
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
montanajoe
Love to ride

Oddometer: 93
I asked this question a while ago as well. My bike takes 2 quarts, no more, no less. I filled to spec my first oil change, and it was overfull and got frothy when I ran it. Second oil change, I filled with 2 quarts, and it was already above the top of the glass. Ran it for a few minutes, checked again, just at the top of the glass if I tilt the bike away from me just a little past level (the whole 5 degree thing mentioned on some other sites.) I've ran off another 500 miles since I changed it, and no change. Bike's running great. Not sure where the extra 300-400 mls is supposed to go.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Are you guys moving the bike side-to-side when draining the oil? I always use over 2Q when changing the filter. I'm usually shy of the capacity but always over 2Q. With the drain plug out, I tilt the bike left and right to get some extra oil out.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
montanajoe
Love to ride

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
Are you guys moving the bike side-to-side when draining the oil? I always use over 2Q when changing the filter. I'm usually shy of the capacity but always over 2Q. With the drain plug out, I tilt the bike left and right to get some extra oil out.
On my last oil change, I tipped the bike left and right, held to center, held to left, held to right, shook some more...there just wasn't any more in there. And I had just run it about 50 miles down the pavement, so the engine was nice and warmed up. I used to have the same problem on my street bike, so I'm pretty good at getting all the oil out. I just can't get the bike to take more than two quarts.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47
On my last oil change, I tipped the bike left and right, held to center, held to left, held to right, shook some more...there just wasn't any more in there. And I had just run it about 50 miles down the pavement, so the engine was nice and warmed up. I used to have the same problem on my street bike, so I'm pretty good at getting all the oil out. I just can't get the bike to take more than two quarts.
Huh...I guess it's fine as long as you're at the fill line in the sight glass. I wouldn't worry too much. It's not the first time I've seen a manual way off...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
El Toad Man
Offroad adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Maybe some oil gets trapped in there somewhere, so you can never drain it all out.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #10
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
I just did 2L for my change.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #11
tv guy
Commuter

Oddometer: 103
I'm not sure if this is normal but on my '04 DR after draining the oil while the bike is level I can get close to 1/4 of quart of oil trapped in the bike by slowly tipping the bike back onto the side stand then back to level and back to the side stand etc. until you get bored...

I don't think it's really important how much you pour in as long as the sight glass shows oil at the line.

It's Transportation!
tv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
BobCWNC
Orange lithotripter

Oddometer: 13,041
Also, make sure the bike is warm before you drain it .

"It is a great art to saunter". Thoreau

“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is– what are you doing for others?” –Martin Luther King, Jr.

Alan Greenspan said out loud, “I have found a flaw.” Waxman pushed him, responding, “In other words, you found that your view of the world, your ideology, was not right; it was not working.” “Absolutely, precisely,” Greenspan said
BobCWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #13
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
It's not a DR650.. but my manual says to kick (e-start) the bike over while holding down the kill button a few times to get all the oil out.
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #14
Bremsstrahlung
Reformed Pod Person

Oddometer: 73
Hmph.... You know.. it's times like these that I wish I had a BMW so I could find something more substantial to complain about.
Bremsstrahlung is offline   Reply With Quote