ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Karpaasi OP
Don't Move Here

Oddometer: 384
Thumb Central NC Riders: Volunteer Opportunity (on the bike!)

http://www.jimmyv.org/vweek/index.cfm?ei=7

I'm organizing a group of riders to help out with the Jimmy V Ride for Research on Sunday, August 19th. This is a great event for a great cause...no doubt cancer has impacted us all in some way. The bonus is that you'll get to spend the day out on the roads, something we all love to do. As a volunteer you'll get a t-shirt, meal, and I thought we could all go grab a cold one after the event...

The ride will have support vehicles (SAG) to transport riders back to the start, provide first aid and mechanical assistance along the course. As the Town of Cary is involved, Cary police will be controlling traffic within Cary's town limits. Local EMS will be on standby as needed.

The motorcycle idea came up (new this year) as a way to put more eyes and ears on the road to assist riders. You will serve as a critical communication link to SAG drivers and race HQ. In addition, you'll be provided with some bottled water and energy bars should a rider need these along the course. If you're first aid or EMT certified, we'll also supply you with a first aid kit.

You don't have to be a cyclist, certified in first aid, etc., to participate. This isn't a race, so there aren't a bunch of rules you'll have to follow, etc. Cyclists won't be yelling at you to get out of the way. You won't have any photographers or race staff riding with you (this ain't the Tour de France ).

I'm looking for are 5-10 fellow riders who want to give some time back to the community and help provide a safe event for the cyclists. Any and all bikes (street legal) are welcome. There are multiple routes, and with the longest ride being 100 miles, you'll get plenty of riding in. A willingness to use your personal mobile phone to communicate with other riders, SAG vehicles and race staff is required. The time commitment is from about 6:30am - early afternoon, but I'm flexible if you can't help out the whole time.

I've done this before, and it's a lot of fun...plus the cyclists are extremely appreciative for helping them stay safe.

I live 10 minutes from the start, and I'm more than happy to accomodate anyone who wants to crash at my house the night before.

Send me a PM if you're interested...
What has been my greatest lesson from this bout with death? The sun still rises each morning; birds sing and the coffee is strong and hot. Hope and faith draw forth another breath, and the air need not be bitter. I should not judge another human being through the temperance of my own mind and emotions.
~Tim McLaurin, R.I.P.

Karpaasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Id do this in a minute if I hadn't committed to work the AMA races at VIR that weekend.

Bump for a good cause!
Old 08-01-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
Karpaasi OP
Don't Move Here

Trying to keep this alive...
What has been my greatest lesson from this bout with death? The sun still rises each morning; birds sing and the coffee is strong and hot. Hope and faith draw forth another breath, and the air need not be bitter. I should not judge another human being through the temperance of my own mind and emotions.
~Tim McLaurin, R.I.P.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,108
My only problem is I DONT have a cell phone If you can work around this big gapping hole in the proceedings I would be willing to help out.
I'm going to be at the Boone rally that weekend so I could bug out Saturday Night...let me know.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,134
Got my interest...

What exactly would we do? Carry first aiders? Block intersections? Just be ready to help a cyclist?
I could run up 49 - 64 and be there inside 2 hours -ish from Charlotte. Also check with your local Marine Corps League, they (we) like to serve our community. pm me...
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Karpaasi OP
Don't Move Here

Bollocks and StgMike, thanks for your interest in helping out.

Let me answer your questions here, since other folks may have the same questions.

Bollocks, don't worry about the mobile phone. If you want to help out, I'll make sure you get what you need. If you come down Saturday night, you're welcome to crash at my house.

SgtMike, the bikes are really going to serve as the eyes and ears on the course (if we get enough involvement). The ride starts in Cary, and Cary PD will be controlling traffic through Cary. Once the ride hits the county, riders will have to obey the rules of the road. There might be an opportunity for a bike (or bikes) to lead the main group out of town.

In terms of first aid, riders with first aid experience will be given a first aid kit to assist riders on the course. You won't have to carry a first aid person around. I'm a Wilderness First Responder and a cyclist, so I'll probably carry a first aid kit and some bike tubes and basic tools. However, knowing first aid or bike maintenance isn't a requirement for helping out. There will be dedicated support vehicles on the course to pick up stranded riders or provide more thorough mechanical support. If someone has a nasty fall, etc., we'll be instructed to call EMS and assist the rider until help arrives.

Here's what I envision our role will be. There are four different ride lengths, 25, 50, 75 and 100 miles. The routes overlap some, but that still leaves plenty of open road where cyclists could need assistance. Riders will ride a portion of the course and assist cyclists as needed. If you see a cyclists on the side of the road, or a wreck, etc., it would entail stopping and assisting , whether that means calling a SAG vehicle, calling EMS, helping out yourself, etc. In my experience, there are not enough SAG vehicles to provide close support. With enough bikes, we could really serve as the backbone of the cyclists support.

Motorcycles are great for cycling events, since we can pull up next to riders and talk to them and move in and out of groups easier than cages.

If you have enough support vehicles on the road (usually with flashers on and I'm going to request hi-viz vests with "Rider Support" on the back), other cages on the road know what's going on and tend to be more alert around the cyclists. It just makes for a much safer event.

With 5-10 motorcycles on the course, we would be able to cover things well, which is my goal.

Any other questions, let me know.

It's great that all the local guys are jumping in to help out!
~Tim McLaurin, R.I.P.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
Who do I contact to volunteer? I would love to do that. My mother passed of cancer on Valentines day, and I am unable to work so I couldnt be happier to do it.
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
Karpaasi OP
Don't Move Here

2006klr650...Thanks for volunteering to help with this event!

I'm organizing this aspect of the event. Go ahead and mark the date and time down: August 19th, 6:30am until...mid-afternoon or so. The ride will start at Koka Booth Amphitheatre at Regency Park. Link with directions below.

http://www.boothamphitheatre.com/

More details to come. Once I get a few more commitments I'll need to gather some details from everyone, but that can wait until next week. In the meantime, let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry to hear about your mother.
~Tim McLaurin, R.I.P.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpaasi
Bollocks, don't worry about the mobile phone. If you want to help out, I'll make sure you get what you need. If you come down Saturday night, you're welcome to crash at my house.
I'm IN!!!
I wear a Mil-tech hi-viz so just get me a sign to stick on it. {See Avatar}

BMW F800R Grin factor 10
Old 08-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Karpaasi OP
Don't Move Here

And there were two...three including me.

Okay, I need 7 more riders... .

Anyone, anyone, Bueller.
~Tim McLaurin, R.I.P.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:05 AM   #11
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
Karpaasi I will try posting this to three other forums if that is ok with you. KLR650.net, KLRworld, and KLRforums. I know there is a bunch of riders in the area. Goto the ADV dinner and post on there? Also the Raleigh/Fayetteville riders post by me. Maybe the right people just arent clicking on this thread.
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
Karpaasi OP
Don't Move Here

2006klr650...good idea. I'll do that.

Yes, feel free to go forth and post to other sites.
~Tim McLaurin, R.I.P.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #13
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

BMW F800R Grin factor 10
Old 08-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
Bipolar Bear
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'm in, if'n you don't mind an ST1300 in the mix...

On the good side, I have 4-way flashers stock and saddlebags to carry ???
Bipolar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
Karpaasi OP
Don't Move Here

Bipolar bear...It was the offer of a free beer, right? Now I see what makes people volunteer around here !

ST1300, nice bike...you could run laps around me with that beast.

Thanks for agreeing to help out!

4 confirmed, hopefully SgtMike is still thinking about helping out.
~Tim McLaurin, R.I.P.