User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,787
These are the daysÖ

I feel very alone. As usual when Iím lonely, there are people all around me, but nothing on earth is more isolated than being surrounded by people who youíve made up some reason to feel apart from. Whenever Iím somewhere that there arenít any people at all, Iím too excited about tanning my genitals to remember that Iím supposed to be lonely, but I digress.

I feel alone because my best friend just made a left turn, where I made a right one. At least I hope it was right, we were heading SE and I turned SW, but you can never know what lies ahead, so calling it a right might be presumptuous of me. Weeks of camaraderie and companionship are behind, and weeks of I donít know what are in ahead.

It wouldnít be so bad, but I crashed this morning when I wasnít planning on it, and that always shakes me up. It takes a while to start trusting the tires and feeling at one with the bike once itís let you down all the way to the pavement, so Iím feeling a bit like a jilted lover whose dog just ran off. Things could be worse, but they could also be better.

It doesnít help that itís raining, either. Iím in the jungle, and it feels foreign and a little bit dangerous, and I donít like the rain. The roads donít like it either, the water is beading up like it would on a freshly waxed car. Perhaps a better metaphor would be beading like water in an oiled skillet, the waxed car image just isnít quite threatening enough. Itís not an overt threat though, itís a cowardly malignancy that you can just catch in the corner of your eye. When you examine it closely, it disappears, only to hover again from another oblique angle.

But thereís nowhere to go but ahead, nothing to do but lean the bike into the curves and hope I can make it across this mountain range to the next town before it gets dark. As usual when thereís a lot to think about, Iíll avoid it by riding somewhere.

The roads here have ridges that would run parallel with the painted lines, if there were painted lines, which there mostly arenít. The tire grabs these ridges and noodles back and forth in a way that may not be dangerous, but feels like 10 slides per second starting and ending, constantly shifting around without any input. The mountains are rugged, and the roadbuilding budget was for a small bulldozer not a big blasting crew, so the road is unendingly twisty. Worn knobbies on a wet road = be careful. Worn knobbies on a wet road with longitudinal ridges = tightly clenched sphincter. Worn knobbies on a wet road with longitudinal ridges when you crashed once that morning? That, my friends, is enough to make you wish for a hot day on I-10 across Texas.

But itís not a hot day on I-10, itís a cold night with only a little light left and a mountain range to cross. Thereís no future in staying here, the future is over there, and I need to quit feeling like Iím going to fall down and start remembering how to ride.

This is how I remember a trip like this, in sharply relieved points of consciousness, carved into my head as though sculpted there by a county fair chainsaw artist- big, hard, full of edges, and not perfectly reflective of the truth. And thatís how Iím going to tell the story, just how I remember it, with no consideration for what came first or what came after.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,916

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Nice.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
MotoKat
Whine Cooler.

Oddometer: 29,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer
pass the popcorn this way....
MotoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
olebiker
Old buzzard bait

Oddometer: 3,378
Ok you got me.
olebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Jedediah
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Nice Ned

I enjoy your words.
09 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE

"We are all going to die of something if we live long enough!." My Father
Jedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
mommer
bring on the world!!!!

Oddometer: 1,958
good and bad, that is how it is supposed to be! you're doin it right.. and get a new tire
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...UkefvUtpvQzqzl
mommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,630
Jeebus.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
BajaJim
Dirt Research

Oddometer: 128
Honest disclosure

Honest disclosure of how you felt. Rare. I will follow this.
BajaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
What a prima donna.
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,450
Shit, thoughs tires still have at least 1000 miles left on em.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #12
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Manana sera' mejor seguro.

Suerte y que le via bien.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #13
2laneblacktop
Tarmac

Oddometer: 3,066
The spill was just a message,...slow a bit and enjoy the ride
2laneblacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,787
We are flying, absolutely minging along, braking hard, leaning deep, and stretching throttle cables. So used to dirt have I become, that I forget to move my boot to the ball of my foot, and Iím reminded to get it out of the way suddenly and violently in more than a few corners.

Mike is better at this than I am. He should be, he earned A status before I was born, and hasnít slowed down much even though he ought to have learned by now. But he hasnít learned, because heís really good at it, so I let him lead and ride my own pace which is made easier by having someone to follow. The road goes on and on and on, and each time we stop we are giddy as schoolgirls.

We come out of one particular corner and Iím winding on as usual, when Mikeís brake light flashes on and he initiates a U-turn. Iím working hard not to T-bone him, but I prevail on my brakes and we park.

Itís time for lunch, Mike announces, and so focused had I been on the road that I never even noticed I was hungry, let alone that we were passing a little roadside stand. But I am starving, and we are indeed passing a place to eat, and we sit down and open a coke and get 2 of whatever it is that they have. And a good thing, too, because it was the best meal Iíve ever had, again. They were cooking over twigs in a #10 tin can, and they made us carne asada and beans and tortillas and salsa until we couldnít eat another bite.

Thatís the thing about traveling. If youíre looking for something, you can almost never find it. But if you are just open to what is there, itís almost always awesome. Weíre so used to expressing ourselves through our venti soy non-fat lattes that we forget we arenít wise enough to always know what we should have. Letting fate or providence or karma or whatever provide feels even more foreign and healthy than the tasty lunch we just ate.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #15
Dr. Zombo
ADV Brewer

Oddometer: 193
In. This is some fantastic writing from the heart.
=======================
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDACT
When our tires would wear into the steel belts we'd refer to the little wires sticking out as 'Traction Spurs'
Dr. Zombo is offline   Reply With Quote