Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2007, 07:47 PM   #16
robdogg OP
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,698
From Trail Creek Summit to Horse Creek Hot Springs

The day's route

"we got us another hot ride today boys!"

I knew it was going to be warm after we dropped down in to the valley separating the two ranges we were planning on
crossing.. and after going over the second range, we'd be dropping down even lower.. to about 3,000ft which is about
the lowest elevation of our entire week.

I started the morning by doing a field cleaning of my foam pre-filter. The 950 was having difficulties starting..
mostly when she got warmed up.. and the pre-filter was pretty caked up.

As it turned out, cleaning the pre-filter didn't help a whole lot so my next gut feeling was that she was just reacting
to the high elevations.. which was confirmed when at the end of the week at around 1k elevation, she started right up
every time. Still, I think there's some tuning I need to do.. I've never had a carb bike act quite like that at high
elevations. Normally I'm used to them acting like they are running super rich, sputtering and burbling with a
noticeable lack of power. The 950 ran relatively strong but it just took forever to start when warm.. like she
was being starved of air.

My goal for the day was the camp grounds at Horse Creek Pass.. which like much of our desired destinations, was
inspired by a ride report here but it was a bit over 200 miles, so I challenged my compadres to see if we could
make it happen. From looking at the maps, it was pretty obvious we had some nice, long wide open sections coming
up; which to some, may sound a bit mundane, but I actually enjoyed the next 100 miles or so immensely. This area
of Idaho is quite different from the heavily forested mountains we had been riding the past couple of days. The
trees were much sparser, the land drier, wider, and flatter, but with massive mountain ranges flanking us the whole
way and the high rate of travel and the remoteness of it all gave our morning ride a spiritual dimension that I
humbly submersed myself in. It was a ride not to be endured, but rather to be experienced and enjoyed.

The Double Springs Pass road heads up over the White Mountains and skims the lower slopes of Borah Peak which is
Idaho's tallest. A sign along the highway that we were crossing pointed out some interesting information about a
ginormous earthquake that hit the area in 1983. Among other facts that it told, was that the shifting of the land
cause a unbelievable quantity of water, some 461 billion gallons to gush out on the country side. Not sure what kind of
damage that did way out here, but I couldn't help thinking if that happened back near Seattle, it would be catastrophic
in terms of damage and lives lost.

I plan to come back one day and explore some of the roads we saw shooting off in to the hills off the main track.
This area is so vast and has some of the longest, straightest dirt/gravel roads I've ever seen.. it was not hard
hitting triple digit speeds, but as fun as that was, I tried kept it to half that in order to soak more of it in.

At the top of the pass

One must know where one is going out here

Once we cleared the high mountain pass and got down into inhabitable country again, more typical evidences of
civilization began to appear. We were still however, in land that is probably some of the most sparsely populated
in America and while we came across a few slumbering farming communities (it wouldn't be accurate to call them
towns) we still had many miles to go before finding fuel, food and water. We almost found fuel in a place called
May, Idaho, but the pumps had run dry long ago so we quietly left so as not to wake any of the good townsfolk and
continued our search.

Looking for gas

We knew for sure that the town of Challis would have what we needed, so we hopped on to State Highway 93 for a quick
ride to town. Jerry had just been in the area a few days before with the Twin Peak riders so he knew right where
to take us.

I was relieved to find fuel at this point.. not because I was terribly low, but because I knew the next section was
going to be long and void of any places to refuel unless we detoured off our route near the town of Salmon which I
didn't really want to do as it would have added a 45 mile round trip to get off and back on our route. Ideally, my
thought was, our next fuel would be available at the tiny village of Shoup on the Salmon river about 70miles North
along our route so we could then climb the divide and jump on the Magruder the next day and have enough to make it
across to Elk City without having to divert for fuel. It turned out to be one of those "best laid plans"

It's said that the Magruder, at 115 miles or so, is the longest unimproved road in America, but if you combine that
with NF-55 and various other roads, that with exception of a few miles of pavement on the Montana side, you could
ride from Highway 93 just North East of Chalis, all the way to Elk City - about 190 miles or so without seeing a
single stop light, major intersection, 7-11 etc. and with the exception of some cabins, ranches and the odd sign
or marker, and one old country store at Shoup, you would barely see any man made structures at all.

The ride coming up NF-55 along Morgan Creek and then Panther Creek (man, they got some big creeks in this state) and
down to the Salmon River was quite pleasant; if not a bit rote. Because we were trying to make good time, we
unfortunately did not have a lot of time to explore some of the great side roads that lead up to the high peaks in
the area. It was pretty warm here as well; which was helped by a cool dip in a road side creek that passed under a
short bridge. Stepping down that bank and into shady coolness under the bridge was like walking in to an air
conditioned room. It had to be 20 degrees cooler then the area above. A tip I'll have to remember for future rides.

Remember my comment about finding Jerry Garcia? I saw this funky circus looking cart along side the road and I had
to stop to take a look.

The cart/wagon - whatever it was had a smaller cart hooked up behind it that looked like a lion cage for a circus train.
There were goats all around and under the main wagon.. and when I got towards the front of the wagon, I was startled
to see a gentlemen staring out the doorway at me. He had long gray hair and a long gray beard that reached almost down
to his waistline. I wave half-heartedly and he waved back.. and I would have loved to talk the guy to hear his story,
but he sure looked like he was in to the whole solitude thing.. so we rode on without disturbing him.

Here's the spot where we found the cool under-bridge creek.

We didn't stop a whole lot after this until hitting the Salmon River..

but here's a shot by Brent that is one of my favorites.. it really shows this part of the country well

Another great shot by Brent. This is along Panther Creek - through a burned out canyon.

We finally reach the Salmon River

Shoup Store.. these pumps really do work, but unfortunately they were out of gas.

The ride up to the Divide from Shoup was one filled with steep switch backs, a few nice views and it had to be one of
the most incredible ascents I've ridden. We went from right around 3,000 feet down on the Salmon River, to about 8,700
feet in about six and half miles.

Interesting historical areas and facts abound and Idaho is great about marking them

We finally got the the turn off for our days destination, Horse Creek Hot Springs and campground. This took us about
16 miles off the more direct route down towards the Magruder, but it was worth every inch. We even had the place almost
to ourselves. There were a couple of groups in the lower campground near the hot springs, but we had the entire upper
campground to ourselves.

time to get toasty

A fully enclosed (sans roof) shed surrounds the natural spring fed hot tub.

The temperature was a bit warm for my tastes, so I didn't stay in long, but the little pool a bit lower down the creek was just
right temperature wise.

and with that... Goodnight!
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #17
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Thanks for the pic's and report Robb.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:41 AM   #18
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Rob

You guys are so lucky, having this terrain right in your back yard. Having spent time in Coeur' d alene, ID, I've had a taste of your spectacular country. We New Englanders have to travel 2000 miles just to get to the Divide. Nice report and pics.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #19
hez
no longer rational

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg
Remember my comment about finding Jerry Garcia? I saw this funky circus looking cart along side the road and I had
to stop to take a look.

The cart/wagon - whatever it was had a smaller cart hooked up behind it that looked like a lion cage for a circus train.
There were goats all around and under the main wagon.. and when I got towards the front of the wagon, I was startled
to see a gentlemen staring out the doorway at me. He had long gray hair and a long gray beard that reached almost down
to his waistline. I wave half-heartedly and he waved back.. and I would have loved to talk the guy to hear his story,
but he sure looked like he was in to the whole solitude thing.. so we rode on without disturbing him.
Definitely Basque. We've got alot of'em around here. Chances are, the two of you did not speak a common language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Large numbers of Basques have left the Basque Country for other parts of the world in different historical periods, often for economic or political reasons, and in some cases to escape imprisonment or death. [...] The largest of several important Basque communities in the United States is in the area around Boise, Idaho, home to the Basque Museum and Cultural Center and host to a Basque festival every five years.
Oh, and a great report you've got going! I love seeing my back yard through someone else's ride reports. It makes me appreciate this place with fresh eyes every time.
hez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #20
Firefighter_Joe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Awesome!

I'm glad I live in Idaho!!

joe
Firefighter_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #21
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,206
I had no idea that place was so beautiful. Wow.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #22
robdogg OP
turnip truck driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hez
Definitely Basque. We've got alot of'em around here. Chances are, the two of you did not speak a common language.

Oh, and a great report you've got going! I love seeing my back yard through someone else's ride reports. It makes me appreciate this place with fresh eyes every time.
really? now that's interesting. thanks for the info and kind comments..

CMA Fast Lane Forums
Old 08-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #23
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Nice job with that camera. I drove thru portions of that country on my way to the Idaho City rally and was impressed then...and now even more impressed. Damn, those must be some of the finest (scenic) gravel roads I've ever seen. Great report dude.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #24
johngs
wanna b adventurer

Oddometer: 140
oregon/idaho

great ride report and pictures. makes me home sick. i grew up in ontario oregon. not far from all this action.

thanks

J

1996 BMW R1100GS
1974 BMW R75/6
BMW MOA #97405
Iron Butt Assoc. #33921
WWW.NEOBMWCLUB.COM
smugmug coupon code: pcLPq7qNCPaYY
johngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #25
robdogg OP
turnip truck driver

From Horse Creek Hot Springs to Red River Hot Springs

The day's route

After a totally refreshing afternoon in the hot springs and a good nights sleep, we hightailed it back to the forest roads
that would take us down in to the South West corner of Montana.. we were headed for Darby for fuel but we came
across a small store with a single pump - regular grade only which was fine with me as I had pulled the plug on the 950
so I could burn regular. After fueling up, we headed back the way we came for a few miles on the way to the
Magruder. We stopped at the West Fork Ranger Station for a good map and to find out if there were any road closures.
Assured that the road was open the whole way we dove on in to the longest unimproved road in America.

Frankly, the first third of the road; all the way up to Magruder Crossing is fairly blah!.. and you go from pavement to
dirt, to pavement again for quite a while.. nice country and all.. and we were glad to be riding it, but there wasn't much
stopping for photos or fun side routes.

I won't bore you with the obligatory photo of the Nez Perce Pass sign, or the Magruder Massacre sign, but to me, aside
from the amazing scenic beauty of the area we were riding through, I love the sense of history that you feel when riding
a road that hasn't changed a whole lot since the Nez Perce walked and rode over a couple of centuries ago or longer
(even if the present day road does not exactly trace the Nez Perce trail). The road cuts a swath between wilderness areas
nearly twice as large as the combined states of Delaware and Rhode Island. To the north is the 1.2 million acre
Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness and to the south the 2.2 million acre Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness. I've
read that these areas comprise over 11% of the Congressionally established wilderness area in the 48 contiguous states.
You would be hard pressed to find a wilder, more unspoiled riding experience in the lower 48.

Our first big side trip was just a few miles in to a place called Hells Half Acre. There's a creek and a mountain both going
by that interesting name. The road up was fun.. pretty smooth and easy going most of the way. At a quarter mile from the
top, we found a gate with a sign that informed us we had to walk the rest of the way. That was a fun hike.. NOT! but it
was worth it at the top.. we brought our lunches with us and had a nice visit with the Forest Service crew that was on
lookut duties.

Jerry hanging out with the fire watch lady.

Could you live here for a month?

I think I could

Jerry probably could too

Choco the fire watch dog

Probably the worlds best view from an outhouse

After our lunch we stumbled back down the hill to our napping steeds, and continued west to Magruder's Crossing.
We stopped at the Magruder Guard Station which was the coolest little Forest Service ranch in the middle of a
small pleasent valley. Travellers on this road before mechanized vehicles must of thought this an oasis.

Magruder Guard Station

Riding through forests of burnt trees

Magruder Massacre sign

OK, I said I wasn't going to show this picture.. every ride report on Magruder shows the same one.. but in our case,
we did try to find about a little more about the event and who this Lloyd Magruder was, and why was he killed. We
even went up a little side road to try and get to the actual site of his massacre, but we discovered it was a few miles
up some hiking trail and I for one was pretty bushed from the earlier hike up to Hells Half Acre.

Anyway, the man called Magruder was apparently a pretty big business type in these parts back about 150 years ago.
One of the uses for the trail we were following back then was to... ah heck.. here's some info out of a Forest Service
brochure

"Gold was discovered near Pierce, Idaho, in 1861 and near Bannack, Montana, in 1862. Many miners and traders
used the Southern Nez Perce Trail as the most direct route from Elk City, Idaho, to Bannack or Virginia City, Montana.

In 1863 Lloyd Magruder and companions were returning along this route from Virginia City after making a handsome
profit of gold dust from selling supplies to miners. Four other travelers joined the Magruder group. A few days later, the
travelers attacked, murdered and robbed Magruder and his companions in the dark of the night. The murderers burned
and buried the evidence of their crime and fled to San Francisco with their stolen booty. Hill Beachy, Magruder’s friend,
pursued the murderers and brought them back to stand trial in Lewiston, Idaho. The trial resulted in the first legal hanging
in the Idaho Territory.

Lloyd Magruder had been a successful California merchant. He was a well respected man and had many friends. Prior
to his illfated trip, he had agreed to represent the Idaho Territory in Congress. As a result of this event, many places bear
the name “Magruder"

I found it pretty impressive that Magruders loyal friend was able to travel all the way down to San Francisco, find the
bandits, then bring them back to receive justice. What a story.

From this point, the Magruder road got a lot more fun. No more wide, smooth gravel, but more like the stuff we came all
this way to ride. Not terribly challenging, even on a fully laden beast like the 950, but it was sure more interesting. We
were now really beginning to see more fire activity as well. Most were quite small and far away, but it helped keep things in
perspective.

Jerry zoomed in on this one.. it was the largest fire we saw out there..

Our next side trip destination was Burnt Knob. From the descriptions, "From Poet Creek Campground, the road climbs
steeply for eight miles with a few sharp curves.Burnt Knob #468-C branches off to the north. This road is recommended for
4-wheel-drive only and ends at Burnt Knob Lookout."

It sounded like our kind of road.

untill....

Thats about the third time I've knocked a bag off.. first time on this trip though.. and luckily it didn't totally break the
latch.. just the lock.

The views from the top though.. made it all worthwhile

We counted about eight distinct fires from our lookout. Riding down was fun.. just need to watch some of those
basketball sized rocks.

After coming down of Burnt Knob and getting back on the Magruder, we didn't do a lot more stopping and gawking
as we wanted to get to our stop for the night at Red River Hot Springs.

Red River Hot Springs was another one of the spots we wanted to hit. It’s on the Western end of the Magruder; and
it was also up and back on a one way road. It’s about
30 miles from the nearest town. Just a few miles before the resort, we rode by a campground filled with RV’s and
dirt bikes. Apparently a large group of Idaho trail riders were having their annual rally. There were quite a few dirt bikes
in front of the hot springs lodge when we pulled up so we were lucky to get the last remaining cabin as it looked
like the area campgrounds were all filled up.

We lucked out though as they had one cabin left and we grabbed it. It was quite the rustic cabin.. tiny with a couple
of folding double bed cots and a gas lantern on the wall.. no electricity or running water although there was fresh spring
water in a tap out back - complete with a large metal tub.

The lodge had a large pool in the back that was filled by spring water.. both hot and cold and the temps were just
right. The hot tub was pure hot so I stayed away from it and just enjoyed soaking in the pool, talking about the days
ride and chatting with a few local folks that were visiting the hot springs for the night like we were.

While I was out front getting my gear unloaded, a couple of guys come up to me and one asked me about my
windshield.. after a few moments it was clear he was a fellow 950 rider so we continued to chat, then like normally
happens, we make introductions after chatting for a few minutes.. and it turned out the fellow 950 owner was none
other then Chuck Sun.. who is a very well known racer back near home and he won something like five national MX
titles back in the early 80's. His companion was Charlie Williams editor and writer for Trail Rider Magazine.. I was
pretty stoked as Chuck is kind of a local hero back in the Seattle/Portland area and seems to be a pretty nice guy too.

Glad I met them and wish I had more time to chat with them.. but they were there for the rally so maybe some other time.

welp, thats it for tonight.. check back tomorrow for the last section; and the best roads of the ride.. Falls Creek Rd,
Selway River Road and the Lolo

CMA Fast Lane Forums

robdogg screwed with this post 08-05-2007 at 10:36 PM
Old 08-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #26
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,813
Awesome report, thanks!
(I'm not sure I could have kept my mouth shut though, after the gunshots.)
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #27
robdogg OP
turnip truck driver

From Red River Hot Springs to Lolo Motorway

The day's route

somewhere North of Elk City, I decided that it was just such a glorious morning, that I wanted to listen to some tunes
on my iPod. I usually don't listen to tunes when riding dirt as I like to hear the booming sound of the big twin and
it's a bit of a hassle with frequent photo stops and what not. But this morning was kind of special. We had gotten
up and on the road pretty early today, since we slept in the cabin and didn't have to break camp. We also skipped
breakfast before riding because we were hungering for some real stick to your ribs kind of food down the road
about 30 miles in Elk City.

The best breakfast in a cafe located in a gas station I ever ate!

It only took me about two seconds though to realize that I had left my iPod in the cabin back at the hot springs.. I
had a few choice words for my numskull self, and then we chatted options for a bit. At first I was trying to
rationalize not going back and for continuing on ahead with our route for the day, leaving it for the maid.
I was slightly hoping to have an excuse to get a new 60gb model, but then the guys talked me out of it. At first,
Jerry offered to ride back and get it (what a GUY!) He was thinking it would be better on fuel economy, but I was
thinking I need to be the one as I was considering time economy. I knew I could make it there and back lot faster since
I had a 950/he had a 650 - he's a elder at church and a retired law man/and I'm just a deacon and well... nuff
said. We quickly rode back to Elk City, unloaded my bike to reduce drag and I flew there and back; riding 64 miles
round trip in about 78 minutes and at least half of the distance was on dirt and the other half was twisty paved road
\along the Red River. I'd hate to say that I enjoyed it, cuz I was sorry to make my pals wait by the side of the road
for an hour, but I'd be lying and it sure felt good to feed the primal need-for-speed urge and to get some where fast
like you had a purpose and I couldn't think of a better bike to have done it on.

Plus, on the way back I was able to stop and take some photos - so yeah, about 4 minutes of that 78 was me stopping and
taking photos

Fire helicopters

Leaving Elk City, for the second time, we quickly made tracks in to the mountains North of town on our way up,
over and down to the Selway River. This is about the third big multi-day adventure I have planned or been part of
planning, and if there's one thing I've learned, is that when calculating routes for an adventures like this, the best
road is not always the most obvious. Up to this point, we had not really deviated from our course much, as the best
roads so far, did happen to be the ones we originally charted, but then when coming upon a Y intersection in the road, and
seeing that the road to the right is the one that is plotted on the GPS, and is going to the place you want to get to, but
the path to the left, has a sign on it saying "snowmobile trail" and after checking it out on the GPS, it kind of "looks"
like it joins back up to roads that will lead us to our destination.. then the question doesn't become "should we take it?"
but "hmm, I wonder if we can ride this thing twice?" Alas, we took no photos of the trail, but it was a very fun - smooth,
with banked turns, some rocks and bumps to bounce off of, ATV width type of trail that ran for about 10 miles through the
mountains.

Water crossing.. this was the only water crossing on the entire ride

After riding the snowmobile trail, we had to track to the East for a while though to get back to the road we needed - Forest
Road 443 or Falls Point Road. This was another little gem of a road that we were sort of lucky to find. I had actually read
about this road in a ride report here a couple of weeks prior to our trip. And I sort of knew it was in the area, but I wasn't
quite sure if was on our route as I couldn't recall where the other ride had ended up on the Selway; as there are a few nice
routes heading out of Elk City - the Elk City Wagon rd being a popular one as well, but that heads more westerly. This is the
kind of road we need lots more of. One where the forest service just kind of gives up maintaining as a higher classification
road and lets it degenerate to one only suitable for motorcycles and atv's. They were even kind enough to keep it fairly clear
of fallen trees. I sure gotta hand to the forest managers there. I bet they ride

Rd 443 (restricted part)

Jerry

Crossing the Selway

We made our lunch stop on the top of Selway Falls. The breeze running through the canyon and the cool mist rising from the water
sure felt good after a hot morning ride. But we were getting close to the Lolo, so after lunch, and a quick stop at the ranger
station for a good forest map, we were finally off in search of the Lolo

Jerry just being Jerry.. a true, happy to be alive kind of guy

Rob shooting Jerry shooting Brent

Lunch of champions

Stunning pic of the river by Brent

The fabulous Selway River

Demolition dual sport derby?

That's one way to try and stay cool I guess

After refueling at Lowell on highway 12.. which by the way, for you non-northwest types, is one of the must do paved roads in
all the northwest.. you'll get sore wrists and arms from all the clutching and throttle twisting along it's 70+ miles of snake
like winding road. From hwy 12, we had a few miles of typical switch back filled gravel forest service road to get to the Lolo,
but along the way, we got a lesson in cultural diversity and the Golden Rule.

Three city boys help some country folk
It was one of those experiences that make you think there is a grander purpose to things.. call it fate, divine intervention.. (my
personal favorite) or blind luck, but as I was riding blissfully along, I came around a corner and saw a smallish SUV driving along at a
slow pace oblivious to my presence. As I pulled out to the left a bit to over take it, I noticed the rear tire was very flat
and looking like it was going to fall of the rim at any time. I pulled up alongside and noticed a senior citizen driver (who was
honking at me??) and what I thought were young kids in the back seat banging on the windows. The driver side window was open and the
driver looked right at me, but neither did she say anything, nor made a move to give me room to pass or slow to a stop which you might
expect someone in distress, needing assistance to do.

During the next few minutes as I rode along, my mind was trying to make sense of what I had just seen and I slowly came up with a list
of several puzzling questions.

1. why in the world was this car driving up hill with a flat tire, obviously away from any sort of help or civilization? and with what
looked like a perfectly good spare tire on the rear hatch.
2. why did the old lady and her passengers look and act all ticked off at me?
3. where were my two riding pals.. why had they not stopped them or stopped and waited for me? (were they shot and left for dead some
where back in the bushes?)

I quickly found out the answer to number three when coming to an intersection a few miles ahead. Each of them had a similar experience
and sense of bewilderment when coming upon the car, but we quickly agreed that we should go back and find out what the story was..
and besides, there's safety in numbers right?

As soon as I got within shouting distance, granny was yelling something out the window at me. When I killed the motor, I could then
make out that she was trying to ask me if I had cell service.. from that point on, I don't think granny stopped yammering once the
whole time we were there and she was barely coherent. We soon figured out though, that while they did in fact have a good spare,
and a scissors type jack, the person that sold them the car, or the tire.. or there gas.. or someone had failed to give them the little
cranking handle that goes in the end of those types of jacks.. all they had was a standard J shaped lug wrench which was too long to get
in to the end of the jack horizontally and be able to crank it up. So I grabbed a socket extension from my tool kit and in a few minutes
had the wheel up off the ground, Brent had the lugs off, and Jerry had the spare ready.. we put it all back together, gave them gentle,
but firm advice to head DOWN the hill towards home and then we went about our business. The kids turned out to be a full grown, middle
age son and daughter.. which really is what made me thankful that we had returned, because if changing the tire out was too complicated
for them, I could not imagine how they might have fared that far out in the wilderness had there car become undriveable and no one showed
up for days.. which was quite possible.. just like poor James Kim in South West Oregon last year.

Another axiom I have for long adventure rides, is to go by your gut feeling when it comes to a certain destination.
Because of my early morning farting around re-finding my iPod, and a somewhat leisurely pace for the rest of the day, we were
still quite a ways from the place I wanted to camp on the Lolo. The Lolo has quite a few great spots for camping; some right on the
road, some a little ways up a road or trail, but there is only one designated camp ground on the entire trail, and from ride reports,
and the advice from a friend, I knew this one camp ground was special. My riding pals were getting tired and wanting to stop, but I
kept pushing them, knowing, (hoping) that it would be worth it. Rocky Ridge Campground is on Rocky Ridge Lake (just below Rocky Ridge
ridge). I was mostly interested in staying there because it's common to see moose feeding in the lake side grasses and they often
walk right through your camp to get there. In fact, the granny lady we helped with the tire, heard where we were headed and asked
if we were packing pistols to scare off the moose (and robbers!).

Sadly, during the two days we spent there we never saw any moose (or robbers) but I could not remember staying in such a serene,
tranquil place - at least not one that you can drive right up to. Jerry liked it so much that he convinced us the next morning to let him
stay by the lake all day and relax, while me and Brent explored the rest of the Lolo. We said we would miss his company on the ride,
but if that was what was felt right for him, then it would be OK with us and all the more fun since we could then ride the trail without
all our gear bucking around on the back seat.

So, rather then ramble on trying to add more verbal fluff to our story, I'll conclude my report with some fine pictures of the Lolo, and express
my gratitude to God for making the beautiful places we rode through, my riding companions for putting up with my crazy schedule demands
and millage goals, and for friends and strangers here on this list who shared their own adventures which inspired us to strike out on and
create one of our own.

Rocky Ridge Lake CG

The lake

Dusk on the lake

Jerry relaxing

While we ride the rest of the Lolo

Castle Butte

Brent on Devil's Chair

Brent trying to get off Devil's Chair

Other dual sporters on the trail (the ONLY ones we saw the entire trip except for some dirt bikes near Red River)

Saying goodbye to the Lolo

Till the next one!

CMA Fast Lane Forums

robdogg screwed with this post 08-07-2007 at 11:04 PM
Old 08-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #28
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
VERY NICE!!

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #29
BrentS
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 14
In addition to the fantastic scenery, the people we met on this trip were great. The folks in the gas stations were always happy to provide information about roads, food, next availble fuel, weather, local gossip, whatever. At the Red River HS we met a gentleman and his adult son who were driving the Magruder and then the Lolo in the reverse direction from us in their pickup. We met them again on the lolo trail and had a short conversion. They also stopped in to say hello to Jerry, who had stayed behind at the campsite.

While waiting for Rob to retrieve his ipod, we met another father and son team from Oklahoma sight seeing in the area via airplane. They were also motorcyclists, so we swapped storys with them for a half hour.

Even the waitress at the Lochsa lodge was very friendly when we stopped for a burger and cold drinks- covered in dust and I'm sure smelling like animals from the woods. She said we were nothing compared to the hunters!

On the way home, we had a flat just outside of Pasco and were looking for shade near an agribusiness maintenance shop. The owner asked what we were up to, then proceeded to open up his service shop and allow us to use it to change the tube. What a great guy!

Definitley good people in Idaho!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #30
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,633
Goat House

I can't believe I'd see another picture of that house on wheels.
When we went by it last year ------you can see a guy milking a goat.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote