User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2007, 05:14 AM   #1
DRZ400SK4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Yet Another Lighthouse Tour

Big thanks to my buddy 'Bill' for agreeing to be my wingman on this trip I've been wanting to take down the Burin Peninsula. Much more enjoyable riding a long-distance run with a buddy. No doubt about it. Bill is a very skilled rider, too. And trust me...he doesn't spare the 'giddy-up', either.

Bill showed up at my house on his very cool Buell S3 today, at around 9:00 AM, as planned. As we hit the highway, with our sights aimed on three lighthouses in the Grand Bank area, drizzle and fog was our gift from Mother Nature for about the first 180 kms. Once we hit the Burin Peninsula highway (Newfoundland's Route 210), things started to dry out, however. And by the time we reached Marystown, the sun was breaking out. It stayed sunny from then on, until we arrived back in the City of St. John's at 7:00 PM.

First stop, after lunch in Marystown, was the small fishing community of Garnish. After we grabbed that lighthouse photo, we continued along Route 213, through Frenchmen's Cove, and back on to Route 210. Next two stops were Grand Bank and Fortune Head. Grand Bank has to rate as one of the tidiest towns I've ever seen, with a great show of civic pride. St. John's could take a few lessons from that town!

It was impressive to see Bill take the dirt road to the Fortune Head lighthouse in stride on his Buell. Beautiful spot, once you get there, too. You can even see the French island of St. Pierre in the distance.

Total distance for the trip, from my front door and back, was 768 kms.

One more good long day ride, and I will have put 10,000 kms on my V-Strom in only about four months.

Here's some snaps from today's adventure...

Garnish lighthouse...

Fortune Head lighthouse...

Grand Bank lighthouse...

Garnish lighthouse...

Trusty steeds...

My Photos In Google Earth

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 07:58 AM
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,862
Here's a challenge: Go around The Rock and pose and post pics with all the lighthouses on the island and let us know how many there are in total!!

Great pics, as usual! You gotta put together a portfolio of your pics, and riding routes and present them to the Newfoundland tourism bureau for inclusion in their literature. Nova Scotia is now catering brochures to riders, especially towards the Cabot Trail.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
DRZ400SK4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm seriously contemplating a book of routes and photos, entitled 'The Island of Newfoundland by Motorcycle'.

When I look at the map of where I've ridden, just in the past four months, I really have covered a big chunk of the coastal routes on our big island.

I'm up to 26 lighthouse locations, to date. Might go grab another this weekend, and continue my addictive behavior pattern.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,733
Very nice, I've enjoyed all your lighthouse threads!

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,866
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ400SK4
I'm seriously contemplating a book of routes and photos, entitled 'The Island of Newfoundland by Motorcycle'.

When I look at the map of where I've ridden, just in the past four months, I really have covered a big chunk of the coastal routes on our big island.

I'm up to 26 lighthouse locations, to date. Might go grab another this weekend, and continue my addictive behavior pattern.

It's a hot destination for bike travel, you could self publish it, get yourself a website and cut out the middle men.. you've done all the leg work already, just organize it by regions and present them as day rides or multi day rides from a particular home base, or just a guide to the best touring roads on the island.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
DRZ400SK4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's a hot destination for bike travel, you could self publish it, get yourself a website and cut out the middle men.. you've done all the leg work already, just organize it by regions and present them as day rides or multi day rides from a particular home base, or just a guide to the best touring roads on the island.
Thanks for the input. I'm really going to give it some serious thought. It would make a great project for me, during the Winter months, with a goal to have it ready for early Spring of next year.

Hmmmm...

Old 08-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Check out www.arkansasrider.com

He has an excellently presented and organized guide to riding in Colorado called: Colorado Rider's Guide. It's a spiral bound tank bag map pocket sized book, with maps, ride routes, rating of rides and a lot of details. Check it out, it might give you some ideas.

You could borrow my copy, check your PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
Duscherck
Vufera Era

Oddometer: 175
Really a good trip.
The lighthouse have always a beautiful charm,so also in italy we've
much lighthouse location.
I hope in my holiday's to see and take pictures to share with you all
Duscherck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
DRZ400SK4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The lighthouse have always a beautiful charm,so also in italy we've
much lighthouse location.

I hope in my holiday's to see and take pictures to share with you all

I can just imagine how photogenic the lighthouses and coastline of Italy must be. We'll be looking forward to those photos for sure!

Speaking of coastline...I shot this one of an unusual cliff formation along the coastline of Bell Island, while on a two-up ride with my lady, just yesterday...

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 08-05-2007 at 01:31 PM