User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
GunshipDriver OP
Adventure in Iraq '07!

Oddometer: 464
July 07 CycleWorld: Tuono vs Superduke Article

Could anyone scan it for me? I'd buy a copy but they don't have it where I'm stationed currently. I'm curious to read how the writers say they stacked up. Semper Fi, GunshipDriver
Old 08-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunshipDriver
Could anyone scan it for me? I'd buy a copy but they don't have it where I'm stationed currently. I'm curious to read how the writers say they stacked up. Semper Fi, GunshipDriver
Don't have a scanner, but the Executive Summary is that they loved both bikes. They gave the nod (just barely) to the Tuono for what I thought was a relatively flimsy reason: the Tuono has been King of the nakeds for several years and the Super Duke, while more or less the equal of the Tuono (but different in some ways) didn't actually do significantly better than the Tuono, so the Tuono got to stay on the throne.

I have owned both and enjoyed both. I happen to prefer the SD to the Tuono, but I doubt this would hold true for everyone. I bought mine in spite of rather than because of its appearance, but I have to say that it gets a lot of approving nods from folks out on the streets who like its aggressive, angular looks.

As an aside, Motorcyclist magazine just named the SuperDuke the Motorcycle of the Year. Beat out the Ducati Hypermotard (which they also loved) and everything else.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkmoon
Don't have a scanner, but the Executive Summary is that they loved both bikes. They gave the nod (just barely) to the Tuono for what I thought was a relatively flimsy reason: the Tuono has been King of the nakeds for several years and the Super Duke, while more or less the equal of the Tuono (but different in some ways) didn't actually do significantly better than the Tuono, so the Tuono got to stay on the throne.

I have owned both and enjoyed both. I happen to prefer the SD to the Tuono, but I doubt this would hold true for everyone. I bought mine in spite of rather than because of its appearance, but I have to say that it gets a lot of approving nods from folks out on the streets who like its aggressive, angular looks.

As an aside, Motorcyclist magazine just named the SuperDuke the Motorcycle of the Year. Beat out the Ducati Hypermotard (which they also loved) and everything else.
The British magazine "Bike" - my absolute favorite motorcycle magazine in spite of it's ridiculously expensive $10/copy price tag - picked the Tuono over the SD and a host of others. Disclaimer - I have not even ridden the SD and just got my Tuono recently, but did spend a year on a KTM 950 SM before a car T - boned it so have a little perspective.

Part of the reason "Motorcyclist" didn't pick the Ducati Hypermotard is because it's too specialized - the same is true of the KTM SM. Maybe that's less true of the SD, but I think it's more specialized than the Aprilia. I only have, and will only have (short of winning the lottery) one motorcycle. The choices I've made show what my priorities are, but I also sometimes commute and have to deal with heavy traffic, etc. One bike.

The SD is a GREAT motorcycle - the LC8 is a great, grunty motor. But I have to travel 45 - 60 minutes on the freeway to get to the good roads, and it's (from my experience on the SM and what I've read) a little more nervous getting there than I would like.

What's ironic here is that KM's reviews are so good he helped me decide on the Tuono! The back half is pretty sportbike for me - which is to say cramped - but I'm 6'2" so YMMV. The motor wants to rev more than the LC8 KTM motor, but so what? The delta in power between the SM I had and the Aprilia - I thought anyway, didn't sound like so much. On the road the Tuono feels much more powerful. All depends on what you do and what you value - simple right?

C/1/509 screwed with this post 08-07-2007 at 08:07 PM
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,367
SD, Tuono, HM, 950SM...

The SD is a bit under-rated IMO. Most mags spend their time trying to pigeon-hole it or talk about it's heat off the pipes, fuel range etc. It sort of reminds me of a high performance car test talking about fuel efficiency and luggage space. Their missing the point.

The Tuono, after seeing it in the blue/white paint scheme this WE I'd buy it. That it's not detuned makes it even more attractive. But aesthetically the tube frame looks better. The Tuono is gorgeous but I prefer the tubed frame.

The HM is awesome but IMO it's as specialized as the others mentioned. I don't see any of these as a universal bike.

950SM. I think this is highly under-rated. List is $18K but I see them sell for $13K. I'd rather have this than a 600. Then consider exactly how much hp/t do you need in a naked bike. Again when considering componentry it blows the Duc away. I bet the brakes and suspension on the 950 SM are a match for the HM S version.

My bias towards these come from owning an HP2/SM. I can do anything on it, trackdays, touring, canyon runs etc. I cannot see these bikes being limited other than the off-road factor. IMO they are as pure a sportbike as any of the uncomfortable models. Why anyone over 30 would buy anything else is beyond me. Esp. if they do track days and/or twisty roads. they won't run with a dedicated sportbike but they won't leave you crippled either.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

The SM does transitions like my R1 riding buddy only wished for - the trade off if the SM was always nervous feeling at speed - above 70 or so it felt twitchy. I read another review on this site that I thought captured it - at 70 or so the SM is telling you to slow down, while at 40 -50 the SD is telling you to hurry up. Depends on what you do and what you value.

The Tuono has a turning radius that will barely fit into two lanes for a U - turn but the trade off is that it's very stable at speed on 70 MPH sweepers. Depends on how you ride and what you like.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,817
I test rode the Superduke and the Supermoto at my dealer. I thought being a dirtbike kind of guy I would like the Supermoto better.

He told me to try the Superduke and I was amazed at how much fun that thing is.
it is definitely high on my list of bikes to add to the stable.

Haven't ridden the Tuono but I bet it is good also, I just love the torque a big v twin puts out rather than the fours.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
Radar Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509
The British magazine "Bike" - my absolute favorite motorcycle magazine in spite of it's ridiculously expensive $10/copy price tag - picked the Tuono over the SD and a host of others. Disclaimer - I have not even ridden the SD and just got my Tuono recently, but did spend a year on a KTM 950 SM before a car T - boned it so have a little perspective.

Part of the reason "Motorcyclist" didn't pick the Ducati Hypermotard is because it's too specialized - the same is true of the KTM SM.
+1 on Bike, best mag out there. The brits just know how to do it. Unbiased, ballsy, and funny as hell.

Motorcyclist sucks. Always the same shit, and boring. And they had the nerve to dis the 1098 this year. Fags.
Radar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
BadTroll
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
I could be wrong because I can't find it......

It was my understanding that the Tuono R Factory beat all commers in the monster bike shoot out.

Nice thing about the R factory is...it's not de-tuned. Has an excellent suspension. Has a few excellent re maps. Basically the same bike as the full faired.

If anyone finds that review...let me know.
BadTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Part of the reason "Motorcyclist" didn't pick the Ducati Hypermotard is because it's too specialized - the same is true of the KTM SM.
I love comments like this because they make absolutely no sense to me. In what way are they too specialized? The 950sm has a larger tank than the early model Super Dukes (mine's good for 140 or so miles), a more upright, comfortable riding position, and longer suspension and the corresponding ability to go off the beaten path. I don't understand how a bike like the 950sm that can doing anything well - backroads, fireroads, light off-roading, highway, you name it - can be labeled as "too specialized". If anything, I think it is too broad in its abilities and most people wish it was more specialized in one way or another. More like a sportbike, or more comfortable for cruising. Bikes like these certainly have their shortcomings, as any bike does, but in my opinion that shortcoming certainly isn't being too specialized.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter
...and most people wish it was more specialized in one way or another. ...
Not me- I like the 950SM exactly for what it is, that broad envelope, and especially for how it works,
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
Not me- I like the 950SM exactly for what it is, that broad envelope, and especially for how it works,
I'm with you buddy. I've owned my fair share of bikes in the short 8 years that I've been riding, and the 950sm is IT for me.

Love your pictures of it off-road in the "Supermoto Chronicles" thread by the way!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter
I love comments like this because they make absolutely no sense to me. In what way are they too specialized? The 950sm has a larger tank than the early model Super Dukes (mine's good for 140 or so miles), a more upright, comfortable riding position, and longer suspension and the corresponding ability to go off the beaten path. I don't understand how a bike like the 950sm that can doing anything well - backroads, fireroads, light off-roading, highway, you name it - can be labeled as "too specialized". If anything, I think it is too broad in its abilities and most people wish it was more specialized in one way or another. More like a sportbike, or more comfortable for cruising. Bikes like these certainly have their shortcomings, as any bike does, but in my opinion that shortcoming certainly isn't being too specialized.
I had my 950 SM for about a year and probably still would except for a disagreement with a Toyota. They are a lot of fun, but are clearly biased toward canyon carving. All bikes are a compromise.

The quick turn in and ability to transition so well was offset by a bit less stability. I could do 75 MPH, hour long freeway trips to get to the good roads but it wasn't real happy doing it. It also has a higher CG than a traditional sport bike and so gets a little heavy at low speeds if you're not careful. They are great bikes and a ton of fun, but if I were to start over knowing what I do now the SD or Tuono would come up before the SM.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,376
Quote:
...They are great bikes and a ton of fun, but if I were to start over knowing what I do now the SD or Tuono would come up before the SM.
I'd agree 100% if I was looking for a pure street bike that would also be great for track days- but that's part of the "envelope" equation (or how you want to use the bike) we all go through before puttin' down the green.

Fwiw (and keeping on topic for the thread title ); it would be a real tough choice, but I think I'd choose the Tuono; mostly because it has a real nice feel to it, is less finiky wrt maintenance, historically excellent Aprilia reliability, looks, and (pretty important) I have a good Aprilia dealer closer than my KTM dealer. That would offset the 2 biggest (to me) SD advantages- I find it more comfortable and there are less worries with how KTM supports it's dealers/bikes.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

I think you'll be happy either way no doubt. I love the Aprilias, and the Tuono sounds amazing. My buddy has a Futura with nearly 30,000 miles on it and no problems. Very well made. Pick whichever one moves you. Motorcycles aren't about practicality!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 08-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Quote:
- the trade off if the SM was always nervous feeling at speed - above 70 or so it felt twitchy.
I just re-read your post and I find this interesting. I've had my 950sm well above 100 and it has always felt rock stable - as long as you tuck behind the "screen" as best you can! I had a 625smc before the 950sm and took it to a few track days and even it felt completely planted at an indicated 107mph down the straight. I wonder if it is just a set-up issue. I can say that my CRF450 supermoto gets a little twitchy when it approaches triple digit speeds. It could probably be improved also, but I've never really worked on it much. The fact that it's barely 230lb doesn't help matters.

1973 BMW R60/5: