User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
bwallca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
TLR 200 Erratic Idle

I have just inherited a project bike, an 1986 Honda TLR 200 aka Reflex. The bike has been abused and neglected for a long time. In spite of that it runs OK except for an erratic idle. So far I have cleaned the carb and air filter, also set the valves and checked for air leaks. When I cleaned the carb I found that the pilot jet was plugged, cleaned that out but it didn't make much difference.
Suggestions anyone?
Ben
bwallca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
DRconvertible
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 255
The pilot jet in the TLR200 carb is unique to that carb, very lean, and no sizes other than stock are available. Even when the pilot jet is completely clear, the idle circuit is very, very lean and idle and off-idle is usually really rough. In addition, the needle is not adjustable in the TLR200 carbs I've seen.

Try soaking the pilot jet for a day or two to make sure it's completely clean. Even so, the idle on US models will never be really good and driveability off-idle will suffer with the stock lean settings.

Or, you can spend a few bucks on an XR100 carb off Ebay and put it on your bike. Jets are easy to get and the stock needle is tapered nicely and is adjustable. I have some TLR200 mods outlined in my thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213825 .
Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
bwallca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRconvertible
The pilot jet in the TLR200 carb is unique to that carb, very lean, and no sizes other than stock are available. Even when the pilot jet is completely clear, the idle circuit is very, very lean and idle and off-idle is usually really rough. In addition, the needle is not adjustable in the TLR200 carbs I've seen.

Try soaking the pilot jet for a day or two to make sure it's completely clean. Even so, the idle on US models will never be really good and driveability off-idle will suffer with the stock lean settings.

Or, you can spend a few bucks on an XR100 carb off Ebay and put it on your bike. Jets are easy to get and the stock needle is tapered nicely and is adjustable. I have some TLR200 mods outlined in my thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213825 .

Thanks for the info.
Ben
bwallca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
tlogg
t33l

Oddometer: 3
How I fixed my TLR 200 Irratic Idle

I had a weak spark causing bad idle. Bad spark was fixed by removing tank, locating wiring junction on top of frame. There is a red and ? (white or yellow) wire that is an exciter lead. I cleaned all the wires at the junction, and crimped the females just a little to get good connection. Zap, good spark, good idle!!! I have a 86 TLR200 with 2029 miles, I'm first owner, almost mint condition, $1500. Know anyone interested in a collector, rare Reflex?
tlogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
tlogg
t33l

Oddometer: 3
If you need TLR 200 parts:

http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/...d/7/Honda.aspx

tloggans@yahoo.com
tlogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,340
I presume you have the US spec TLR200 Reflex....and not the plain ordinary but far better TLR200 that the rest of the world got.The Reflex is set up very lean and the posts above give good clues to help sort it.

I have found my TLR200 touchy on float level - I set it up by running the bowl dry....if it revs high before stopping it's too high,instantly stopping too lean.I set the float level so it just starts to lift in revs and runs clean,then stalls.That's how I set it up 6 years ago and haven't touched the carb since.But I'd go back over those air leaks again.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote