ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,340
Bluhduh What the hell is the CHP doing today??

I finalized my trip by going over to the Rock Store for some Pancakes and holy CRAP. The CHP had something long and spikey lodged in its' collective corn hole.

They had their huge RV parked up at the Squiddy Lookout, ya know the coordination RV they use for disasters?? There were CHP 'copters in the air, and at least 30 cars and bikes ticketing EVERYONE. Luckily everyone except for me..... I didnt get out of second gear.

They had guys in binoculars looking for people sticking out their knee.... man it was crazy.

They are obviously trying to send us a message, but why now? What the hell.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,838
I'll bet parking was better...
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
Adventure Trio
GS'r

Oddometer: 530
They did something similar near Lake Berryessa in norhtern California a few months back. No fancy motorhome, but 2 air units and a dozen cars on the ground. One car flipped a Uturn after passing me by and tailgated me for 2 miles until I finally signaled and jammed the brakes to pull in to a parking lot. He sped by....I am all for enforcement for the totally wreckless riders in the area but we were clearly not the demographic.

-Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
I finalized my trip by going over to the Rock Store for some Pancakes and holy CRAP. The CHP had something long and spikey lodged in its' collective corn hole.

They had their huge RV parked up at the Squiddy Lookout, ya know the coordination RV they use for disasters?? There were CHP 'copters in the air, and at least 30 cars and bikes ticketing EVERYONE. Luckily everyone except for me..... I didnt get out of second gear.

They had guys in binoculars looking for people sticking out their knee.... man it was crazy.

They are obviously trying to send us a message, but why now? What the hell.

Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
Oink.

The more aggressively they try to intimidate the Public, the more we resent them.

Dumb, if you ask me.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread Red
Oink.

The more aggressively they try to intimidate the Public, the more we resent them.

Dumb, if you ask me.
Don't resent the messenger, resent the Public. More often than not special enforcement projects are in an attempt to answer the "public's" massive number of complaints about a specific type of violation in an area (whether its vehicle code, burglaries, whatever).

For instance for every one person who complains about them agressively enforcing motorcycle speeding laws there are 1,000 more people calling them and complaining that they never do anything about getting "those reckless speeders off the roads". Its impossible to make everyone happy, you just have to try to please the majority.

So instead of blaming the CHP, get mad at either the whining masses or get mad at the reckless speeders. Your resentment is missdirected. The CHP is simply doing what WE tell them to.

(As for my me....I'm one of the whining masses when I'm not having fun speeding).
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread Red
Oink.
LASD's Air 5 (helicopter) usually picks up, cares for, and transports at least one motorcycle rider a weekend during the summer. Sheriff Rescue units usually roll to several "downed motorcycle" calls a weekend...not to ticket, but to try and save a life.

Yeah tickets suck...but so do some of the morons who treat the highway like a racetrack, crossing over the double yellow, passing on blind curves...

Almost got taken out a few times myself. Yeah...I got some tickets too, but deserved them

I hope they also go after the straight pipe flatulant bikes too. If my bike has to be 96db to ride in the desert....
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
I'll bet parking was better...

actually no, they were TOWING bikes parked in the dirt.
Quote:
Old 08-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
They have been doing the same here in Bishop, stopping everyone who is coming into Bishop, tourism is the life blood of this area and they are going to scare everyone away.
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,350
Don't blame the CHP!!!

We had an interesting visitor at the Lookout in Lake Elsinore this morning.

After leaving my house up on the divide road and doing 60 miles of forest service roads on my 950-A, I ended back up at the Lookout about 9am.

A CHP officer in a 4 wheel unit pulled in like he was looking for someone. He finally got on his PA and asked us all to gather round for a 'chat'.

He told us he was the only officer covering an area from Temecula to Orange County that morning. Dispatch had recieved 30 calls from irate motorists about the 'road racers' passing (sometimes on the shoulder) on the Ortega. We checked out his terminal in the car and it was line after line of complaints. He asked us to give him a break and chill out the rest of the day. His badge featured a black band indicating a recently fallen officer. His talk was very well recieved.

Hey, I'm a fan of going fast, but there is a time and place for everything (Nevada comes to mind). We who live up here have little pity for the Organ Doners who terrorize regular folks when they don't have the stones to take it to the track (AKA: Pussies). We average two fatalities per month on Hwy 74. The last one went unnoticed for about a week. When they found the body at the bottom of the canyon, the Coyotes had already gotton the best parts...

Blame the PUSSIES, not the CHP.

Pointman
IBA #5
More Cowbell!
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
old wanderer
Old quick guy

Oddometer: 371
Actually what is hapening up at the Rock House and the Muholland roads around there is the result of a funding grant. It provides the funding for a bunch of overtime plus unit cost to lower the MotoGP wanta-be's and the drift racers that run these hills regulary.

Last year I was on my Aprilia 7 or 8 time when riding witha group that was right on the limits of sanity. Was lucky and never got captured, but many of my friends did get performance awards.

I lost 3 friends last year (2 on the track on one on Hwy 74) so this year the Falco has been entertaining some spiders in the corner of the shed.

Just got back from Bishop and running my new KLR 650 in the dirt. Lost of fun and a whole lot slower and safer.

Iron Butt #32691

Life begins at 30 but starts to become really fascinating approaching 150!!

2008 KLR 705+
2007 Beta 525RR
2003 Aprilia Futura
2001 Aprilia Falco(2)
2002 Aprilia CapoNord
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4 (Track only)
old wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
m5guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I also saw the big CHP motorhome parked at the lookout spot above the Rock Store on Mulholland. Luckily I passed it early (around 9:15) before they were ready for business.

Every year the CHP finds a few weeks to be highly visible in that area. The motorhome was something new though. I'm used to just seeing a black-and-white parked up there.
m5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #12
MrEndo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman0853
.......His badge featured a black band indicating a recently fallen officer. ...
Pointman
Some crazed freak took out a CHP officer as he was trying to deploy a "spike strip" to stop a pursuit from Rancho Cordova up to Placerville...
MrEndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #13
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Isn't an election coming up?

That cop with the spike strip had no business being on foot on hwy 50. I'm sorry he's gone, but not surprised.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,875
We were coming down Piuma on saturday afternoon, and when we got to Malibu Cyn there must have been 100 cops and everyone of them was holding an assault rifle or shotgun. Apparently a State Park Ranger had shot a gangbanger that tried to hit him with his car and his buddies bailed into the hills. The result was not a officer in sight for the rest of the ride
Old 08-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #15
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
We were coming down Piuma on saturday afternoon, and when we got to Malibu Cyn there must have been 100 cops and everyone of them was holding an assault rifle or shotgun. Apparently a State Park Ranger had shot a gangbanger that tried to hit him with his car and his buddies bailed into the hills. The result was not a officer in sight for the rest of the ride
Holy crap... thats nuts? and they didnt shoot at you?

what gives

Quote: