ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #31
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,072
Wow. thats nuts. Why am I not shocked that cagers are actually the reason for all this stepped up enforcement......

What kind of moron would race in the left lane of a road like that?!?

How come we never hear about this stuff... there should be a local site for stuff like that.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #32
Aussie_Gringo
The anti-septic

Oddometer: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
Wow. thats nuts. Why am I not shocked that cagers are actually the reason for all this stepped up enforcement......

What kind of moron would race in the left lane of a road like that?!?

How come we never hear about this stuff... there should be a local site for stuff like that.
This is what I was told this morning by a co-worker who is also a Malibu resident. One cage overtaking another cage on a blind turn.

"Operation Safe Canyons"

editted for accuracy.

Aussie_Gringo screwed with this post 08-13-2007 at 01:04 PM
Aussie_Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:01 PM   #33
Bullseye
Mr. Bad Example

Oddometer: 336
The Story

This story was widely covered by the media at the time of the incident (March 25). The motorcyclists were not killed (They were very lucky).

Here's the story/latest:
Quote:
Felony charges have been made against the drivers of a Ferrari and Mustang who took part March 25 in an alleged road race on Mulholland Drive that injured two motorcyclists. A new section of the state Vehicle Code just came into law this year, calling for felony charges if a person causes severe injury to another because of participation in a speed contest. Itamar Lieberman, 60, of Beverly Hills and Manuel Menchaca, 28, of Agoura Hills, if convicted, could face nearly nine months in prison and/or a fine of $2,000.

According to California Highway Patrol officials, Lieberman was driving the Ferrari and Menchaca was traveling in the Mustang as they raced eastbound on Mulholland Highway east of Kanan Dume Road at a high rate of speed. Lieberman was in the lead, according to CHP, when he lost control of the car and crossed the double yellow line, striking a motorcyclist traveling in the opposite direction head-on. The rider was ejected from the motorcycle and another motorcyclist made a hard brake, and was also ejected from the motorcycle. Menchaca's Mustang, unable to stop quickly enough because of the high speed, crashed into the Ferrari.

The motorcyclists, 46-year-old David Espinoa and 38-year-old Allen Espinoa, both Long Beach residents, were treated for serious, but not life threatening injuries.

KTM 520 exc
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #34
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Jeeeezus christ.

Just ban cages from those areas on the weekends minus local residents! Simple -
Quote:
Old 08-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #35
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAdventura
I came across this earlier today.

http://www.malibusurfsidenews.com/bl...e-canyons.html

Supposedly, the increased presence of LEO's in the vicinity of The Rock Store is a result of two cagers racing in the vicinity of The Rock Store, taking both lanes, and slamming into a couple of riders killing them both.
But the CHP reported the Harley riders as having "non life threatening injuries".

Two people were killed when a chippie wrapped his Testarossa around a phone pole on Cornell Road. Maybe this is their response to that incident?
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #36
Aussie_Gringo
The anti-septic

Oddometer: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
But the CHP reported the Harley riders as having "non life threatening injuries".

Two people were killed when a chippie wrapped his Testarossa around a phone pole on Cornell Road. Maybe this is their response to that incident?
I edited posted 32 but just went back and edited post 30, my info is second hand regarding whether riders suffered fatal injuries or not.. "Operation Safe Canyons" may be part of an alarming trend of riders dealing with asshats in cages.

One thing that I know, another co-worker of mine rides a Harley and he lost two friends in one month on local rides last October; one cager was DUI.

Aussie_Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #37
OldBMWMaster
Banned

Oddometer: 4,185
Not everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchucker22
They have been doing the same here in Bishop, stopping everyone who is coming into Bishop, tourism is the life blood of this area and they are going to scare everyone away.
Here, they are only going after loud bikes. I have never had a problem; but I ride a BMW. No noise, just power.
OldBMWMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #38
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
I don't think they have crystal balls

Where did the biker thing take place? That would have pissed me off if I was stuck in traffic!
har har har it has nothing to do with crystal balls, take for example a guy walking down the street threating to kill people (based on a true story) the cops can follow him around but they have to wait until he actually attacks someone. oh wait what about reports of people speeding down the same street everyday, same time. Post a car? nope they have to happen to be in the area and happen to catch them, and when they careen out of control and kill some poor old woman in a wheel chair on the sidewalk, well I guess its just too bad the 6 cops behind the 711 everyday numerous times a day were too busy to actually stop the guys who race by them at 100+ in a 35 zone, or wait what about the crack dealer who sells on his front porch openly... My point is Most police dont do enough to be proactive, they just wait for the call, arrest the murderer and inform the coroner. what about the guy who calls 911 and tells them that theres a guy breaking in to his house, they tell him noone can get to himm for 15 minutes, he tells dispatch that he is going to shoot the burglar if he comes in, 30 seconds later the OWNER is getting arrested for making threats and the burglar gets a ticket for trespassing.

Oh and it was somewhere in ontario on the 60 I believe.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #39
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,971
Pics of Mullholland wreck in question. I find it hard to believe the riders suffered "Non Life Threating injuries". I had heard one of them later died.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #40
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_6625...ce=most_viewed

More cycles, worries
Amid motorcycle accident jump, demo stresses safety
By Bethania Palma, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 08/14/2007 11:18:47 PM PDT

Motorcycle stunt driver Bryan Friday maneuvers away from a car backing up, a common hazard for motorcycle drivers, during a motorcycle-safety demonstration on Tuesday at Irwindale Speedway. The demonstration was sponsored by the California Highway Patrol, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and Automobile Club of Southern California. (David Pardo/Corresponent)

IRWINDALE - The silver Ford Taurus veered sharply in front of the motorcycle rider, cutting him off. With screeching tires and smoke rising from the pavement, the crash was averted. But just barely.
This scenario was staged Tuesday by two professional stunt drivers at the Irwindale Speedway, but it happens every day on city streets, experts said.
Deaths from motorcycle-related traffic collisions have more than doubled since 1998, mainly because more people are buying the fuel-efficient two-wheelers, experts said. Registration in the state for motorcycles has increased 71 percent.
That's why the California Highway Patrol, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and the Automobile Club of Southern California teamed up to demonstrate what longtime riders agreed were the three most common crash scenarios.
"Everything you see here, I've had happen to me," said Robert Gladden, project manager for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Gladden has been riding for 37 years.
Stunt drivers John Alden and Bryan Friday demonstrated what Gladden was talking about.
In one scenario, Alden backed the Taurus into Friday's path, forcing him to swerve. In another, the car and the motorcycle drove side by side until Alden suddenly accelerated to pass the motorcyclist on the left, cutting him off at the last minute, as though on a freeway exit.
In the final scenario, which officials said is most common, Alden waited in the Taurus for a minivan to pass before making a left turn while Friday tailed behind on the motorcycle, hidden from Alden's view. Alden turned directly in front of him, barely missing the biker.
CHP Officer Matt Lentz, who works in the Baldwin Park office, which includes parts of the Inland Valley, said his office had investigated 425 crashes involving motorcycles from 2005 to 2007.
Of those crashes, eight involved fatalities, he said.
So far this year, officers at the Rancho Cucamonga CHP station have investigated 64 motorcycle crashes, said Officer Sean Cooper. In roughly half of those, the motorcyclist was found to be at fault, he added.
There were 102 crashes in 2006, and 78 crashes in 2005 that the CHP station's officers investigated. The station is responsible for the 210, 10 and 15 freeways.
CHP Officer and Inland traffic management center spokesman Albert Graciano said motorcyclists and motorists need to watch out for each other or the results can be deadly.
"The No. 1 cause for motorcycle accidents are unsafe lane changes," Graciano said. "Motorists go to change lanes and they don't anticipate anyone splitting traffic. So people go ahead and change lanes and then get hit by a motorcycle or sideswipe a motorcycle."
"On surface streets, the most dangerous situations for both motorcyclists and motorists are left turns into driveways or intersections. People always see cars coming but have a difficult time seeing the silhouette of a motorcycle."
For motorcyclists, dangers come with riding too fast or splitting traffic when traffic around them is traveling at a lot slower pace, Graciano said.
Motorcyclists generally wear helmets in California and travel to Arizona if they want to ride without them, Graciano said.
"It's not really an issue out here," he said about not wearing a helmet.
Insurance companies will revoke a motorcyclist's insurance if they're caught without a helmet, Graciano said. With the recent passage of a law requiring insurance to drive in California, people do not want to take the chance of riding without a helmet, he said.
While experts agreed blame can be more or less equally shared between motorcycle riders and car drivers, it's the bikers who suffer most.
"When two vehicles get together and somebody dies, it's the motorcyclist," said Dr. Steve Bloch, the Auto Club's research analyst.
Cyclists not only lack the external protection cars offer, but they are harder to see, officials said.
"The fact that motorcyclists are so difficult for vehicles to see means (both) have to be extra careful," said Carol Thorp, spokeswoman for the Auto Club.
The main thing people need to do is stay alert and avoid distraction, Thorp said.
"Everybody's job when they're behind the wheel or the handlebars is to pay attention to the road," she said.
Staff writer Wes Woods II contributed to this report.

=====================================

"So far this year, officers at the Rancho Cucamonga CHP station have investigated 64 motorcycle crashes, said Officer Sean Cooper. In roughly half of those, the motorcyclist was found to be at fault, he added."

And the other half involved motor officers.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:07 PM   #41
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
Pics of Mullholland wreck in question. I find it hard to believe the riders suffered "Non Life Threating injuries". I had heard one of them later died.

Thats faking horrifying
Quote:
Old 08-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #42
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,971
I remember seeing those two assholes (in the cars) sitting at the overlook. I must have missed that crash by minutes. Pics aren't mine, they were e-mailed to me.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #43
nr552
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I rode up there yesterday from San Diego (via Ortega Hwy), and had breakfast at the Rock Store.

Had 2 CHP's using Lidar coming into the Rock Store area via Mulhuland Hwy, then 2 on the way out of there... and 6 CHP cars sitting at the over look.

Thought they were filling a CHiPs reunion movie!

My friend on his 07 R1 and me on my Weestrom were rolling 35 mph the entire way through... Thanks to the heads up from on coming riders.

Did a loop down to PCH and back-- and all of them were gone by 1 pm.

There was a person taking photographs--- anyone have any idea who that is, or where to search on finding out? Would like to check out the pictures if possible.

Sam
06DL650
nr552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #44
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdkota
There was a person taking photographs--- anyone have any idea who that is, or where to search on finding out? Would like to check out the pictures if possible.

Sam
06DL650
Check Eatpasta's thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256662
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #45
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Yea that guy was cool! I was trying to get some good lean angles under the radar...

Quote:

eatpasta screwed with this post 08-20-2007 at 12:09 PM