User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
klxmack OP
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Ottawa to VC ,klxmack Locked and loaded

Here's The KLX650 locked and loaded in front of the homestead. Its ready to go for a 3 week 10 thousand k round trip to vancouver. I will post pics when not stealth camping. I leave at 0700 monday.

cheers

dave
Attached Images

3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 AM   #2
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
Coolness! Looking forward to the RR.

Will you be doing a report in the RR section?
timk519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 AM   #3
klxmack OP
king of the box

day 1

Hey guys, I'm not going to do something in the rr section because this about the great white north. I like to ride and I dont stop. I stop for fuel, food and sleep.
Day one, left home at 0800 to avoid putting on rain gear. Drove 1050km , about 30 klm past Wawa I set up beside hiway 17 on a small logging trail.
Attached Images

klxmack screwed with this post 08-09-2007 at 09:17 PM
Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
klxmack OP
king of the box

day 2

Day 2 got up at 0600. Its amazing how the riding and fresh air makes me get up early.
There is some fast sections of hyw 17 when it hugs the coastline at coldwell.
Sometimes I wish I didnt have 100lbs of gear and luggage.
I pushed and made Winnipeg by 8pm. I did gain an hour (7pm).
There is tons too see. I will look closer on the way back.
There are hundreds of pieces of old 17 left by wayside. They proved to be Ideal pit stop locations to add or take off layers as well as P breaks .
This section here is outside of Kenora just before the Manitoba boarder.
N49 44.601 W95 06.606
Its neat how narrow and serpentine the offroads are. This one goes for a klm the banks left into a swamp/beaver dam. I need full knobbies and no panniers for this one.
I doubled back and proceeded down 17 to see it pop out a couple of klm down.
Attached Images

klxmack screwed with this post 01-26-2010 at 06:58 PM
Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,006
Sorry I missed you, I was stuck at a three day long Ukrainian wedding in Winnipeg.

BTW, I've ridden a lot of the old Highway 17...it must have been a lot more interesting back in the 1950's. I've been trying to find a map of it.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
klxmack OP
king of the box

day 3

Left Winnipeg at 930. It was rainning real hard. Tested out the new tour master transition jacket and other rain gear. The jacket was excellent and dry but I forgot to velcro my outside pocket. Inside that pocket was my camera.
It was soaked. I pulled the batteries and dried it off an tossed it in the top box.
The GPS started acting up. It would just die. I would start it up then it would konk out again. I eventually figured out that it was vibrating too much on the outside of the bar and wore out a cold solder at the power supply. Drove another 1000km and ended up In Medicine Hat Alberta.
When I got to the camp ground I opened the the top box only to find the six pack had exploded and resoaked the damb camera.
Sorry no pics today.

cheers
Old 08-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
klxmack OP
king of the box

day 4

Left Medicine Hat with a real Starbucks venti bold buzz on and proceeded to Calgary to visit friends and family. It was 20c and sunny in Medicine hat and Half way up the temp dropped to 10C and it rainned again real hard all the way to Calgary. By the time I got there I was near frozen (thanks Bhaskar for telling me to leave my jacket liner at home) and my Gps finally gave up the ghost. I managed to get to Blackfoot Cycle and meet up with some friends that work there. I asked for some help. I needed some new gear.
Stuart pointed out that GPS central was across the street.
I promply walked across and bought a new zumo 550.This time I mounted it between the clamps to minimize the vibration.
Blackfoot let me used a sheltered area to strip my bike down to install the power cable. Thanks.
Bought some warm gloves and supplies as well. I just checked the weather and only Iqaluit was the only colder spot in canada at 6C.

cheers
Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack
I promply walked across and bought a new zumo 550.This time I mounted it between the clamps to minimize the vibration.
That's an excellent piece of electronics. If you've got the budget, a Scala bluetooth headset is another excellent addition.
timk519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:49 AM   #9
kinta
Kinta

Oddometer: 118
hey man sorry to hear about the 6 pack, told you to ditch the liner and pack the fleece.....

so my "coal fired" meridian seems to have outlasted your 60, hmmmm.
kinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #10
klxmack OP
king of the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinta
hey man sorry to hear about the 6 pack, told you to ditch the liner and pack the fleece.....

so my "coal fired" meridian seems to have outlasted your 60, hmmmm.
It still works as long as its not mounted on the bar. Once on the bar it sort of konks out.
You cant haul enough coal on shakey to make it this far west. You may want to CN or Cp to see if they have any outdated coal tenders that you can trailer to see the western Canada.

dave
Old 08-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
klxmack OP
king of the box

day 4

Got up and weather was crap. So I decieded to ride to vancouver at 10 am. I stopped in canmore and bought some base layer clothing. Good thing because the temp dropped to 5C and it rained off and on for 500km. Damd it was cold but things warmed up at Salmon arm B.C. Made it to my brother in west end vancouver 10 pm pacific.
Spend Saturday bicycling around VC , about 50km.
My New Zumo is slick, one major problem is that it routed me through the east side. Christ that place is worse than they show on T.V and it reminded me of Escape from New York. I drove through there at 9:45 p.m and the zombies were in full force all bumping around. A Pretty blonde Police chick did a double take at me driving through on my bike.
All I can say is Nice City , too many bums, I'm not sure what we do in ottawa, I think we either exterminate them or buy them a bus ticket to vancouver.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #12
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,587
Actually, the bums are out here in droves because this is the only placve in Canada that you can survive winters living on the streets! This is where they come.
Ciao, Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #13
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,791
Never trust Bhaskar. i don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack
Left Medicine Hat with a real Starbucks venti bold buzz on and proceeded to Calgary to visit friends and family. It was 20c and sunny in Medicine hat and Half way up the temp dropped to 10C and it rainned again real hard all the way to Calgary. By the time I got there I was near frozen (thanks Bhaskar for telling me to leave my jacket liner at home) and my Gps finally gave up the ghost. I managed to get to Blackfoot Cycle and meet up with some friends that work there. I asked for some help. I needed some new gear.
Blackfoot let me used a sheltered area to strip my bike down to install the power cable. Thanks.
Bought some warm gloves and supplies as well. I just checked the weather and only Iqaluit was the only colder spot in canada at 6C.

cheers
Old 08-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
klxmack OP
king of the box

week 2.0

I spent the Weekend in Vancouver with my brother. I left Tuesday and took the ferry to Vancouver Island. I bee lined it to Tofino.
There was an accident at Ladysmith, Biker down at the intersection, lots of E.M.S on site, the guy was hurt but not run over.
I pulled into the McD’s for some lunch. I picked out the healthier choices then sat down.
I proceeded in stuffing my face when some said, “ Is that a KLR?” I looked up to see and older gentleman. I said, “It’s a klx650”
We chatted for a while and said he was from Ontario. (For Pete’s sake, is there nobody who lives in western provinces actually born here??) I had a great conversation with John Cordts and his better half Linda. He told me the accident was a single vehicle variety.
The Goldwing locked it up, fishtailed the trailer and catapulted the driver into the intersection.
(Here is a little piece of wisdoms that will extend your short time on this little world.
BIKES GO IN TO TRAILERS, THEY DON’T PULL THE FUCKERS!!!!)
John also told me that hay bails make great sleeping quarters too! He has crossed canada and the U.S on motorcycle countless times.
I was loading up and Linda came over and gave me a copy of John’s new Book.
Blood, Sweat and Turnips. It chronicles his career in auto racing in Canada and the U.S.
I thanked them and headed off.
Highway 4 is bloody excellent for dual-purpose bikes. Lots of ups, downs and arounds. I pass about 30 cars on the way up.
When I got to the junction to turn 30 kms from Tofino, a chick in the tourist van rammed me from behind at the stop. Luckily my bars were pointed to the right, which sent me into the ditch and not into the oncoming traffic. I hung on and grabbed the brakes, when the front wheel bottomed it sent me over the bars through my windshield.
I got up and having no major pains I tried to pick the mule up. It took 3 men to get it out.
The bike had some scratches on the hard bags, broken windshield and a bent saddlebag bracket. She was really sorry so we just exchanged info and I proceeded to Tofino.
When I got there I couldn’t find a campsite. The whole peninsula was booked, jammed packed. BC is really screwed up when it comes to this type of thing.
Anyhow, I found a private camp spot complete with a rolled over car for a urinal and old freezer for a table, all this no charge. Here are the coordinates N49 05.584 W125 50.460
The next day I took my first plunge in the pacific at long beach. After that I decided to leave town. I called the Ramming chick and told her that I would be happy with $100 for my windshield and headphones. I would probably scratch the bags myself someday.
Once collected, I headed to Coomes to go the local Kawasaki dealer for some oil.
I have 6000k on the bike since I left. I have had to add 2 liters of oil in that time to make up for fact that it pumps oil at high speed.
On the way to Coombs I passed a Tow truck. There was a sport bike all balled up just laying on it’s side there with Alberta plates, I hope the guy was o.k. , The bike was totally fucked.
The boys at parts counter told me I should drive to Gold River. So I did and made it for dinner at local restaurant. What neat little town sandwiched in a valley of Mountains.
After dinner I doubled back to Strathcona Provincial and camped on the upper Campbell Lake. A la stealth of coarse. And The Mountains are incredible.
Attached Images

klxmack screwed with this post 01-26-2010 at 06:19 PM
Old 08-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #15
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,006
You could have made a better deal with the Ramming chick!

Just joking, and following your adventure.