User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
oggi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
whats wrong with the Cagiva GranCanyon?

I was reading the beast section, and the cagiva grancanyon is seriously underspoken. Its no HP2, but is ok on dirt, jeep trails and not horrific on singletrack
Attached Images

oggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Its probably the best looking ADV bike ever built. However, they're extremely rare, which makes them under represented here. I wish the Navigator had been imported here, but due to an agreement with Suzuki that never happened. Instead we got the Strom.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 638
Nothing wrong with mine. Did 560 miles on Saturday with the local BMW club 100,000 ft (as in elevation) Rally. Did the ton on a long quiet highway and survived a massive rain storm that sent a mudslide across the highway just before I got there. The Gran Canyon was unfazed, though I had to change my shorts.

And looking at yours, I might suggest you try a Gustafsson windscreen. I had the slightly larger than stock screen sitting around and finally got it installed before this trip. Sheer heaven, no buffeting [sp?]. And this from a guy who removed the taller windscreens that came with my 2 previous bikes, prefering the stock.

bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
oggi OP
Adventurer

years ago i had 2 bikes, my adv bike was a transalp, and my street bike was a ducati monster. I was thinking always of fitting the m900 engine into the transalp to make my perfect bike. One day on craigslist I saw the GranCanyon and just bought it. I love it, and i love that all the engine parts are cheap on ebay. When I got the GC it was pristine and low miles (kilkometers actually) and i got so many bad comments from the yahoo GC group memebers for taking it offroad. I love it off road, not anthing near my yamaha wr in the dirt but I love it.

its not so pretty anymore, some body panels have been shed, but run great, and is a great engine to work on. I recently saw some posts for a ducati monster dirtbike, but for me this is pretty much it, just a tad heavy
Old 08-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,759
Nothing! It's the bike Ducati should make. I'd trade my ST3 in on one!

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,374
It gives me wood when I see one; that is just wrong.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
oggi OP
Adventurer

I need to keep this thread alive, its the most I have heard about GranCanyons and dirt riding in past 5 years. The Yahoo group seems hellbent on converting them into multistradas, makes me sad.

going up a long rooty rutted hill, my GC in first just chugging along and unstopable. the bike seems happy

attached is the pic of my other ride, I tossed a coin what to ride that day in the trails, somehow the wr made more sence since it had just rained. I think the GC would have been about 3 foot deeper submerged in the slime
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,310
I do not think that GC is any good ofroad. There are plenty off DS bikes more suitable for the task. However it's great backroad bike and I plan to keep it until it falls apart.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #9
oggi OP
Adventurer

the grancanyon is a lot like my monster, when you first get it and you are nervous about scratching it or dropping it, it sucks. after a while you start beating the crap out of it and realize that what it was designed for and thats when it actually performs best.

put some engine guards on it, bark busters, and just ride it and you will see its ok offroad. If I wanted an on-road bike I would just get um..anything else.

maybe its cus the GC is rare that no one wants to take it in the dirt. My bike has been down a lot and sometimes at some speed in the trails, but you just pick it up and ride it and its always ok. My GC can do most trails my yamahaWR can, just slower
Old 08-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
worst of both worlds

I've got an elefant and grand canyon.the fant is far better off road,the grand canyon is great on twisty paved stuff.cagiva never intened the Grand Canyon to be as good as the fant off-road IMHO.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
snafu
Eater of Noodles

Oddometer: 160
what's there not to like?

Just passing by and saw this thread pop up earlier today.

I had a GC in, 1999 or so. Bought used with about 2000 miles on it. The Duke engine and 'servicing expenses' scared the crap out of potential buyers. So I test rode it, and bought it.

On road the GC was one of the sweetest, most precise handling bikes I've ever ridden. Back then I worked as a, er, 'civil servant' - with two radio earpieces in my helmet, and some of the people I rode out with could get a move on. The GC would out-handle anything on twisty roads, including the then new-fangled R1. We tried it. My riding buddies were two experienced bike cops. The GC's flickability just left them floundering round bends.

One day I took it out in the rain. We had a lot - the roads were flooded. The oil light came on, and the bike died immediatly. It seemed to have used all its oil, and fried its electrics at the same time, and sho' nuff, it was very broken. The dealer took it back. I bought a 1200 Bandit instead.

If the GC hadn't broke, I'd still have it, and still be chasing R1's on it. They'd get away on the straights, but the GC could ride round the outside of them on European bends, pulled round by torque, and aided by the top-notch chassis and suspension. It was that good. It didn't like freeways mujch. I forgave it.

This review doesn't do the GC justice:

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/r...ewwin99_00.htm

What was the question, again? Oh yeah; if I lived within pushing distance of a Ducati dealer, and the GC was still made with that Duke motor, I'd still have one and knock ten years off my age.

I never took the GC offroad. There aren't any sports-bikes to chase in the mud.

And yeah, Cagiva didn't build the G C for mud-plugging. Look at those twin brakes, twin filler caps, look at the seat, the weight, the factory luggage options, the vestigial rear mud-guard, the twin cans, and those cute little elephants moulded into the plastics and hidden on the bike. Enduro? Nearly, but a Euro-Enduro. Dakar Racer? Close. Dual-Sport? Not really; the bike was styled by Pierre Terblanche, it got big Nissin brakes, and almost-Motard 17" tyres and wheels. So that made it a Euro-street thug.

Dirt-bike? Hmmmmmm....

The GC was built to piss off BMW 1100GS riders and R1 owners. It worked. Nobody has built a bike that's as much fun since. 'Stands comparison with the best in the world' said a review.

I'll take one in red. Road use only, mind.

snafu screwed with this post 08-10-2007 at 01:13 PM
snafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #12
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by oggi
the grancanyon is a lot like my monster, when you first get it and you are nervous about scratching it or dropping it, it sucks. after a while you start beating the crap out of it and realize that what it was designed for and thats when it actually performs best.

put some engine guards on it, bark busters, and just ride it and you will see its ok offroad. If I wanted an on-road bike I would just get um..anything else.

maybe its cus the GC is rare that no one wants to take it in the dirt. My bike has been down a lot and sometimes at some speed in the trails, but you just pick it up and ride it and its always ok. My GC can do most trails my yamahaWR can, just slower
I am not sure what you mean by "dirt". Fire road? Any bike is ok on it.
My KTM 640 way better in dirt. Gran Canyon has very little clearance and suspension travel.Very snatchy throttle at low rpm. Heavy. No real engine protection.
I crashed my GC on a street about 4 times, so I don't really care about apearance.
GC is great back road bike. Not a dirt bike.
I had no mechanical issues with my GC. It has about 40k km on it. New clutch, very easy to replace. Valves stay on spec after first couple of adjustments. Oil change every 5k miles. eats rear tires very quickly - 3k miles or less.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #13
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by oggi

Which crash guards do you have oggi?

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:56 AM   #14
oggi OP
Adventurer

engine guards are hepko-beker.

I was so frustrated with everyones poopooing of the GC offroad this weekend I took it on the 18 mile loop that I usually take my WR426 on the weekend. With the lowish center of grav and torque it was really not bad at all. The best part was just riding there not trailering the wr.

yeah its aint no ktm640, we all know that but unless you have actually taken it offroad dont say it cant.

but yeah unfortunatly it takes 2 hours to change the air filter. I do want to get an HP2 but this is doing just fine for now.

I am going to try the PBR500 on the cagiva, so please everyone be my friend(i will bring my own tow rope)
Old 08-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #15
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,793
Another Gran Canyon owner / lover chiming in. I think it's one of, if not , THE best bang for the buck all arounder ever. Mine has been rock solid mechanically, handles like a dream and is very capable off pavement.

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote