Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #211
CanyonRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Congrats on the GC and welcome to the club of irrational but dedicated owners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccambern View Post
-I'm tempted to get a second set of wheels and put knobbies on 'em for trail riding.
Good luck with that . . . I've been looking for 10years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccambern View Post
Other than that, the GC really is a kick-ass bike. If you're looking for an all-rounder and you can turn your own wrenches, get it- you won't be disappointed.
Agree 100%!
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #212
Bevelhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Drool. This'd look awful good in the garage next to my Elefant. Kind of hard to convince the wife of that though.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3126761872.html
Bevelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #213
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelhead View Post
Drool. This'd look awful good in the garage next to my Elefant. Kind of hard to convince the wife of that though.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3126761872.html
Dont let fear stop you because its easier to get forgiveness than permission from fear

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #214
Big Mick
n00b

Oddometer: 7

My new to me 2001 GC in Imola Blue, loving it so far !
Looking for the original bash plate/belly pan if anyone has one ?

Big Mick screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 08:38 AM
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #215
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 486
Stator removal

Rather than start a new thread, I'm thinking anyone interested would look at the latest entry in the largest Cagiva thread. Re: 1999 Gran Canyon. I'm finally installing a MOSFET Vreg after my original overheated, running new heavier wires all the way from the stator, (previously only grafted in larger wires about halfway) which leads to my question. I'm having a bitch of a time getting out the two 6mm screws holding the little elephant emblem cover over the clutch. I've tried all the usual things I would try: penetrating oil, heat from a microtorch, whacking the allen wrench with a plastic mallet, even the last resort impact wrench...nada. Thought I'd ask here first before I damage the allen screw head so bad I have to drill it out and try using an easy out. Should I just assume it's installed with red loctite and heat the screws much higher temp?

Any inputs appreciated. roy
flemsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #216
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,549
Was pulling the Mag cover last summer doing the valve service at the time and had a few "stuck" allen bolts and nothing would move them ended up tack welding an allen key into the bolt then hit with an Impact driver, that did it.

Probably not the answer you wanted...

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #217
flemsmith
lurk

Got 'em..

Turns out I had to dremel a slot in the screw heads after my impact driver stipped out the 4mm Allen shrews, then used the impact hammer with a wide blade screwdriver fitting. Took some persuading, Kroil and heat, but they came out. Good thing since I don't weld.

roy
Old 04-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #218
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,680
This bike is just beautiful, especially the color scheme.

"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #219
Gmc28
Gmower

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsmith View Post
Turns out I had to dremel a slot in the screw heads after my impact driver stipped out the 4mm Allen shrews, then used the impact hammer with a wide blade screwdriver fitting. Took some persuading, Kroil and heat, but they came out. Good thing since I don't weld.

roy
I've seen that issue brought up before by other GC owners, and have seen the same solution, with the slotting of the head like what you did.
I'm casually replacing those little alan head screws with better hardware as i go along with my Gran Canyon normal winter maintenance each year. Have the same issue on my 03 BMW RT. Went to the local Fastenal shop here next to my work, where we have a commercial account, and the guy there has become accustomed to my requests for small numbers of odd sized screws.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #220
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
I was marveling how ez it was changing the clutch yesterday when one of the spring bolts stripped. I was having no luck and getting a little nervous but hammering in a slightly oversized torxs bit finally got it. This time around i followed the directions and used some oil on the new bolts.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #221
flemsmith
lurk

Alternator/Voltage Regulator output variation...?

Is it normal for the Vreg output to the battery to go down as the bike heats up? Mebbe only a volt or so, but aux digital voltmeter lets you watch things closely enough to generate new worries....It's a new MOSFET regulator, so I think I'm really asking about the alternator output voltage.

Thx,

roy
Old 07-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #222
flemsmith
lurk

Answering my own que...

As long as the Voltage output stays above 12.something when hot, I believe the drop in output voltage is actually just the voltage regulator adjusting to the fact that the battery is fully charged and doesn't need the higher voltage that is normal at startup.

Opposing views will be listened to or ignored, based on the argument's perceived validity.

roy
Old 07-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #223
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
I recently changed the R/R on mine and I'm getting between 14 and 15 volts after startup using a multimeter, but with no onboard voltage meter I've no way to know if I lose voltage as the battery returns to full charge or not.

I've always heard the RR sends 14 to 15 volts to the battery and sheds the excess current as heat, and that if they aren't putting out at least 13 volts at all RPMs there is something wrong with it.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote