funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Cagiva Gran Canyon

Plus:
Great engine
Superior tight back-road handling
Looks/Sound
Answering the inevitable question of 'what's a Cagiva' Reply: "Doctor, I need to come in and see you tomorrow -- I'm having trouble with my Cagiva"
Minus:
Too heavy and strangly dampened for even light DP work
Too complex to work on....try taking it apart and you'll see what I mean.
Rare, hard to find parts
Geared too low for the highway.....5000rpm's is about 70mph
Hard to pack if you want to keep the paint nice.
Center stand costs $400 and must be imported from Holland...unless you think a 480# bike with no center stand is ok....
and what are those black, square things attached to the underside of the swingarm on some of these bikes?
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:57 AM   #47
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMac
Cool, I stand corrected. Which centerstand do you have? I've read lot's of reports over on the GC Yahoo group, as well as from the fellow over in Holland that sells one of the centerstands, that because they shared mounting points they were not compatible. Got any pics?
I did a short write-up for the Yahoo group. Centerstand is the right-side job from the Netherlands (http://www.evamotor.nl/). Message here:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...2/message/3156

and photos here:

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/gro...os/browse/9e16

I had to make a slight indent in the HB bar mount to clear the centerstand pivot.

http://f9g.yahoofs.com/groups/g_hr_1...o5x0GBixwMWZMA

bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #48
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex
I did a short write-up for the Yahoo group. Centerstand is the right-side job from the Netherlands (http://www.evamotor.nl/). Message here:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...2/message/3156

and photos here:

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/gro...os/browse/9e16

I had to make a slight indent in the HB bar mount to clear the centerstand pivot.
http://f9g.yahoofs.com/groups/g_hr_14008272/9e16/__hr_/3f30.jpg?gro5x0G
BixwMWZMA
Thanks Tex, after I read your previous post I went back and searched the yahoo group and found your post. Nice work and thanks for the explanation.

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #49
Fitero
Just One of Billions

Oddometer: 223
If you read a little more, you will find a link to a center-stand, which is made here in the USA, has access from the left, and lastly, costs alot less than the one made in Holland.

Very well made too.

See picture: http://picasaweb.google.com/fitero64...00615107058210

Regards,
Peter

Hey Robbie!
Fitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #50
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero
If you read a little more, you will find a link to a center-stand, which is made here in the USA, has access from the left, and lastly, costs alot less than the one made in Holland.
Very good info. And I have no information if the USA centerstand will work with the HB bars

bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #51
Fitero
Just One of Billions

Good point . I haven't the foggiest idea if the center-stand will work with the HB bars or not.....but,

I always look at these things as a challenge, to make or modify it to suite my needs. There has to be a way around any obstacle.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #52
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero

Very well made too.

See picture: http://picasaweb.google.com/fitero64...00615107058210

Regards,
Peter

Hey Robbie!
FWIW, I called and ordered the very last centerstand from Ove's Machine a couple days ago. So unless enough folks make him a good enough offer the EvaMoto stand is the only option.

Peter, Nice hearing from you. What did you replace your GC with?

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #53
Fitero
Just One of Billions

Hey Robbie,
I bought a KTM 950 SM from another Adventure Rider member, which I had for a short 2 months. I sold it to get funds to go to Spain for a month, and see my kids this Summer.

If I weren't so tight on funds, I'd buy one of the left-over 06's around here. What a great bike on the roads we have! It's easier than the GC to hose the mud off the engine too.

I'm looking at older Triumph Tigers now... Nothing really grabs my attention.

I hope that all is well, and that your GC is still making you happy.

Regards,
Peter
Old 08-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #54
tootal
Backroad traveler

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
tootal, what makes the Uly a better highway bike in your opinion?

Also, what makes the GC a better dirt bike. Is it the 19" front vs. the 17" front on the Uly? I have thought of putting a 17" rear Conti on the front of the Uly if I got one. Wheelbase?

I have considered a Uly to get my wife on the bike more. My pa in law is a Harley road captain and we could go on rides with the Harley club if I had a Uly.

The Uly has a more" lean into the wind" seating position than the GC. The Passenger perch is nice on both bikes but the Uly has the backrest where my GC has the hinge of the top case. One could fix that though. The GC has a more"sit up and beg" riding position with the bars up higher which is better for standing up when your in the dirt. The 19" wheel helps smooth out the bumps a little too and it's one reason it has more ground clearance. My long legs prefer the Uly's seat to pegs relationship compared to the GC but normal people might like the GC better.
The Uly hates mud. Hard pack and rock no problem.

Hope this helps. The GC is for sale for anyone interested. It's not eating anything but it's silly to own two dualsports unless my garage was bigger!
Here's a shot without the bags. Notice Staintune mufflers, first in the country for the GC.

Name:  net1.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  37.6 KB

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that you can fix ignorance... if you're not stupid!
tootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:00 AM   #55
oggi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Just so all of you know, I bought a used Flatlands Racing Alu Skid Plate for a WR450 on ebay, $46

If you have a Sawzall and a nice bench vice you can make it fit rather easily, and it mounts on the existing locations, even dont need to drill the front 2 holes. It is really low profile (check the pics)

I made the rear brace out of steel for now, as i dont have access to a Tig welder at the moment, but all together it was about 4 hours, and Im not underestimating the time, my girlfriend was sitting watching tv waiting while I did its so its an accurate time

I took it over the log ramp that scared me before, and cased it. it works but the pristine cosmetics are gone
Attached Images

oggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:02 AM   #56
oggi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
__
Attached Images

oggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #57
Speeddog830
Interloper

Oddometer: 84
Just picked up a GC, and desperately need tires.

Thinking the Conti TKC-80, but they're radials, and the current (shagged) Scorpions are not....

any issues?

Also thinking Bridgestone trail wings, TW101 and TW152?

'02 Ducati Monster S4 - Too many mods to list...

'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - TKC 80's, Euro blinkers, 16t front sprocket, ProTaper CR High bars

Speeddog830 screwed with this post 01-21-2008 at 12:52 PM
Speeddog830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #58
Fiddlestix
Leapin' Lizard

Oddometer: 220
Sweet

MAN! That is one SWEET lookin bike!!! Gimme gimme gimme!!! They still make these!!

Quote:
Here's the way to haul your stuff! I have this and a Buell Ulysses. The Uly is the better highway runner, they are real close in the twisties and the GC is better in the dirt. These bikes are such compromises one could say they were designed by a committee! All I know for sure is they are definately fun to ride!

[IMG]attachment.php?attachmentid=129711&d=1187492112[/IMG]

Currently bike-less
***SOLD*** 2010 KTM Adventure R
Fiddlestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #59
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix
MAN! That is one SWEET lookin bike!!! Gimme gimme gimme!!! They still make these!!
No, 99-00 are the two years they were imported to the states, but the good news is you can find one, usually in good shape for 4500-5500. I think there are some on cycletrader now and always check the yahoo group linked in the above posts.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #60
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddog830
Thinking the Conti TKC-80, but they're radials, and the current (shagged) Scorpions are not....

any issues?
I put the TKC-80's on my Gran Canyon last fall and cannot praise them enough. The only semi-issue is that the mud deflector thing-a-ma-jig that is behind the rear tire is very close to the tire on the right side of the TXC and the tire has worn into it a small bit.
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote