Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #76
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoneer
Give Letko a call and get the euro front turn signals for your GC, about $40 if I recall. They really narrow the width of the front of the bike and give it a true stealth mode
Agreed. Reduced dimensions and they look cool. Plus you can put a servo motor on the lenses to open up the gun ports for thoughtless cagers. I'm still working on that part....

bigtex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:52 PM   #77
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex
Agreed. Reduced dimensions and they look cool. Plus you can put a servo motor on the lenses to open up the gun ports for thoughtless cagers. I'm still working on that part....

Very nice GC there bigtex, did you paint the front fender red? If so what paint and color did you use?
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 PM   #78
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE
Very nice GC there bigtex, did you paint the front fender red? If so what paint and color did you use?
No, and I have to give credit to the previous owner. He replaced the fender with a stock model from the black tank scheme, which came stock with a red fender. He also pulled the big sticker off the tanks, so it is all red. Very fetching to my mind, but I am biased.

bigtex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:02 AM   #79
Speeddog830
Interloper

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoneer
Give Letko a call and get the euro front turn signals for your GC, about $40 if I recall. They really narrow the width of the front of the bike and give it a true stealth mode

I'm about halfway through my aluminum skidplate fabrication as well. After looking at pictures of various plates for hours online I found one that I had laying around the shop ended up fitting really well with just a hint of trimming and filing.
I've been giving some serious thought to getting some of the euro signals.

The skidplate is going to be a bit of a project, but it's totally necessary for any king of serious offroading... too much delicate stuff on the front/bottom of the motor.

'02 Ducati Monster S4 - Too many mods to list...

'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - TKC 80's, Euro blinkers, 16t front sprocket, ProTaper CR High bars
Speeddog830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #80
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
He also pulled the big sticker off the tanks, so it is all red. Very fetching to my mind, but I am biased.
Now that is down right ironic as I have been considering doing the same thing to my GC for a bit and was having a difficult time visualizing how it'd look. Quite fetching indeed....

Thank you, thank you very much!
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #81
Speeddog830
Interloper

I may have missed it in this thread, but any recommendations on tankbags?

'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - TKC 80's, Euro blinkers, 16t front sprocket, ProTaper CR High bars
Old 02-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #82
Speeddog830
Interloper

I guess I'll keep pimpin' this thread.

Put some miles on the GC on Saturday.

New tires are good, and all of the basic functions are pretty much as expected.
Gearing's a little short, but I've got a 16t sprocket on the way, as well as the euro front blinkers.
Need to fiddle with the rear preload a bit more to get it to not 'fall in' on the corners.

Worked pretty damn good in the little dirt running I did, a little heavy, but that's no surprise....

Nitpicks:
Choke/fast idle lever location sucks. Likely will swap a complete Duc LH switch housing with integral fast idle lever,
added benefit is the User Interface will be the same as my S4.
Stock grips suck. Easy fix.
Clutch engagement is fairly abrupt, but that's a standard Duc issue, easily fixed with an aftermarket slave cylinder.
Mileage on the first tank was about 38mpg, a bit low. But it desperately needs a valve adjustment, so that should improve it, and the taller gearing will help.
Front of the seat is a bit wide, I'll either get used to it, or shave the foam a bit.
My boot and the clutch cover want to occupy the same space, just have to get used to that.

A pic from the outing:

Speeddog830 screwed with this post 02-04-2008 at 10:17 AM
Old 02-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #83
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
No, and I have to give credit to the previous owner. He replaced the fender with a stock model from the black tank scheme, which came stock with a red fender. He also pulled the big sticker off the tanks, so it is all red. Very fetching to my mind, but I am biased.
I will forever kick myself for selling this bike! I want it back soooo badly.

Ceramic coated exhaust, heated grips, aux lighting, chip, gutted stock exhaust, Magura bars and ..... the list goes on. Man, I should have kept this bike.

The all red look is the way to go.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #84
Speeddog830
Interloper

neepuk,

Thanks for posting those pics, looks sweet in all red.

And, thanks for the pic of the dash showing the mph marker, reminded me that I have to do that.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #85
Speeddog830
Interloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
I will forever kick myself for selling this bike! I want it back soooo badly.

Ceramic coated exhaust, heated grips, aux lighting, chip, gutted stock exhaust, Magura bars and ..... the list goes on. Man, I should have kept this bike.

The all red look is the way to go.
Any tips on how to gut 'em?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #86
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddog830
Any tips on how to gut 'em?
Drill out the rivits in the end caps. Remove all the crap. ReRivit the end caps on? That's the short version but the PO did it to my bike.
Call Moto Mechanica in Santa Rosa and ask for Jason. He's the owner of the dealership and the guy that did this beautiful work.

I read a thread somewhere on how to remove the guts.... I'll look for it and post it if I find it.
The ceramic coating and gutted exhaust is THE way to go with these bikes... Sound even better than the Remus or Termi systems that I've heard and the ceramic coating is just awesome to look at.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #87
Speeddog830
Interloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
Drill out the rivits in the end caps. Remove all the crap. ReRivit the end caps on? That's the short version but the PO did it to my bike.
Call Moto Mechanica in Santa Rosa and ask for Jason. He's the owner of the dealership and the guy that did this beautiful work.

I read a thread somewhere on how to remove the guts.... I'll look for it and post it if I find it.
The ceramic coating and gutted exhaust is THE way to go with these bikes... Sound even better than the Remus or Termi systems that I've heard and the ceramic coating is just awesome to look at.
My endcaps don't have any rivets

Perhaps they're like the Ducati cans, where you slide the aluminum skin back and then cut through the SS body and go from there....

Old 02-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #88
jehu
∩HƏſ

Oddometer: 3,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix
MAN! That is one SWEET lookin bike!!! Gimme gimme gimme!!! They still make these!!
No but....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/559700197.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/560775330.html

http://santafe.craigslist.org/mcy/525395557.html

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/543940538.html

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/521555828.html

Mine:
Attached Images

jehu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #89
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu
...and that Sir is a screaming deal for CG! Almost tempting enough to buy it so I can have a black/red to go with my silver/red...
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #90
Speed3
Aangenaam verdoofd

Oddometer: 447
I was afraid

I had my been considering calling Bill Kniegge from Blue Strada tours about the Gran Canyon for sale. Seeing the link http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/521555828.html appear here made me nerveous somebody would snatch it up. So I called and bought it.

Bill is a really nice guy, check out the touring business he just started.
www.bluestradatours.com
The GC will look great next to the TDM850.
I'll keep you posted about the pick up somewhere in the next month, I intend to fly to Charlotte and ride it back to Danbury CT, should be a nice first ride.
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote