User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Barney OP
I reckon so

Oddometer: 851
SV650 for touring?

Anyone have extended touring experience with this bike? My Alaska trip is planned for 09 and my 23 year old K bike gives me reliability concerns. Plus I can use the SV for a track bike afterwards. Thoughts?
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
Plenty of folks used the DL for it, can't believe it would be any less reliable than the ugly brother
Old 08-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
FoolishMortal
Hits close to home.

Oddometer: 41
I don't see why not. It should be even more fun than bigger, heavier bikes, especially with some sticky tires. Just make sure to (a) get the suspension sorted and (b) get some wind protection and (c) change the seat or get a pad.
FoolishMortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Do you have a naked or an S? If it's a naked get a Givi A7xx series fairing for it and whatever kind of luggage you want and it does a pretty good job. You will need to stop for gas fairly often though, I get about 175 miles before I need to stop for more. Good Luck!
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Barney OP
I reckon so

Oddometer: 851
Do you have a naked or an S?

I don't have one yet. Leaning toward the standard for body position and its easier (and cheaper) to add a windscreen than move the bars and pegs/shifter/brake.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,108
I had a 2000 SV650 that I used for touring...it was a great bike. I had the standard model.

I never felt the need for a windshield. Even with upright handlebar version, I was leaned forward enough to balance against an all-day 65 or 70 mph wind. I'm five feet ten inches...if I was any taller, the seat-to-footpeg distance would have been too short for comfort.

I sold it at 40,000 miles without ever having any kind of problem. The guy that is riding it now has run it up to 50,000 miles. He had one problem: The regulator/rectifier burned out and the bike stopped charging. Easy fix: Plug a new one in.

I rode mine on a 21 day trip from Minnesota to Newfoundland and back in 2000 and was very satisfied with the bike. The stock seat was very comfortable for me. I did a lot of 600-700 mile days when I owned it and a 1,000 mile day to Colorado, also. I'm not sure if the newer bikes have as comfortable of a seat. But it's easy to get an aftermarket seat.

The bike is so light that it is a relief to ride and maneuver after a long day in the saddle. I'd go for it.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Ive got a cheap 02 SV650 if you decide you want to experiment.

Traxxion forks and its spotless. ~2k miles on it. $3000
Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney

I don't have one yet. Leaning toward the standard for body position and its easier (and cheaper) to add a windscreen than move the bars and pegs/shifter/brake.
To make it a touring machine I think the naked works better for the reasons you mentioned.
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney

Consider the Ninja650R. Comes with standard ergonomics, decent wind protection, and easily accepts lots of luggage due to the exhaust setup. I do lots of all-day riding on mine. the seat isn't great, but what stock seat is?

Lots of track goodies available as well now that its in its 2nd year of production.

SV650 would work fine as well, IMHO the Ninja (or the Versys, for that matter) is the better tourer.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Naked SV650, Givi screen, Givi luggage, fuel cell, aftermarket seat. Your good to go.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Berlien
Naked SV650, Givi screen, Givi luggage, fuel cell, aftermarket seat. Your good to go.
+1

fun bikes...slow but great on backroads.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Coast

No problems whatsoever for me. The only thing that would keep me from touring on the sv650 is the same thing that prevents me from touring on anything; no money.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #13
MotoKat
Whine Cooler.

Oddometer: 29,111
Mine, set up for the riding I do:
Givi bags, Givi windscreen and bar risers.

MotoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,039
I put 10K miles on a '99 SV650 one year, and did some extended trips. The riding position was great, but as others have mentioned, the seat was murder. I love that motor.

WFO gas mileage and tank range was pretty lame tho. I could get 50mpg all day long putting back and forth to work, but when we went out on the road and my wife set the pace at 85-90mph, that thing would go on reserve at under 100 miles.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,278
SV650 would be a great bike for Alaska...

and don't worry about reliability issues.

In 2004, I sold my 2000 SV650 (standard type) to a friend of a friend. It had 21,000. The friends then road up to Alaska. The new owner covered more than 14,000 on that one trip (didn't take a direct route, new owner was a teacher and had the whole summer to play!).

The new owner reported a minor problem which was a failure of the low fuel switch. The light didn't come on, so she ran out of gas.

Another minor issue she encountered was a cut-out of the front spark plug in heavy rain. The solution is to enhance the front cylinder plug cap seal with some silicone caulk. This is common on a lot of v-twin type motors, not just the SV. The plug well can fill-up with water, shorting out the spark.

Seriously, you don't have anything to worry about with the SV. Most modern motorcycles are good enough for an Alaska trip, even KTM 950's... and everyone knows how bad they suck.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote